• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Everyone's Take on Hunter Boots?

jz687

Reaction score
Hi, I need a pair of rainboots, and I've been looking at either the Hunter Short Originals or the low Tretorn Strala boots... I can't decide and would love to know what you guys think! P.S. I'm a student, who would only be wearing them around school for the 4 hours a day I'm there... in a cold climate city. So the only things Id be tucking into them are jeans. Thanks

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't understand how people are using these in the city. You still have to carry your real shoes to change into later since you can't wear rubber boots around the office, and it doesn't sound like a good idea to stuff your trouser pants into them to begin with.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't understand how people are using these in the city. You still have to carry your real shoes to change into later since you can't wear rubber boots around the office, and it doesn't sound like a good idea to stuff your trouser pants into them to begin with.

i agree, unless you plan on wearing your hunter boots all day (which some people do so they look like they just left a farm) i would pass on them.

i would just buy some bean boots, you can wear those all day and they sometimes look pretty cool with a suit. i wore mine with my heavyweight shetland suit and it looked really good. though i give credit to the 2.5" cuff.

jz687

Reaction score
P.S. I'm a student, who would only be wearing them around school for the 4 hours a day I'm there... in a cold climate city. So the only things Id be tucking into them are jeans.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jz687
P.S. I'm a student, who would only be wearing them around school for the 5/6 hours a day I'm there... in a cold climate city. So the only things Id be tucking into them are jeans.

Are you sure you want to wear rubber boots all day long? Just imagine how hot and disgusting your feet will get.

jz687

Reaction score
Are you sure you want to wear rubber boots all day long? Just imagine how hot and disgusting your feet will get.
Yea, but "all day long" = 4 hours max... Mainly, I'm just trying to figure out if they're "in style" as much for guys as they are for girls...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see these around princeton alot, but many women wear them.

Buy normal boots.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would just leave a pair of shoes at the office. works especially well for OneShoe

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hunter originals are a waste of money, the heel offers little to no support. But seen as you're wearing them in the city I suppose that doesn't count.

ville_e

Reaction score
I'd recommend Aigle over Hunter..

The company is the original rubber boot company. In 1852 Hiram Hutchinson met Charles Goodyear, who had just invented the vulcanization process for natural rubber.

Goodyear went on to manufacture tyres and Hutchinson bought the patent to manufacture footwear.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jz687
Hi,

I need a pair of rainboots, and I've been looking at either the Hunter Short Originals or the low Tretorn Strala boots... I can't decide and would love to know what you guys think!

P.S. I'm a student, who would only be wearing them around school for the 4 hours a day I'm there... in a cold climate city. So the only things Id be tucking into them are jeans.

Thanks

I would stay away from rubber boots. Buy a pair of boots with a goretex or other waterproof/breathable membrane. That way you will have far more options in terms of style, fit, function and comfort.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Hunter originals are a waste of money, the heel offers little to no support.

Originally Posted by ville_e
I'd recommend Aigle over Hunter..

What these guys say.
If you really decide you need wellies a pair of Aigle parcours will be around the same price as hunters (maybe a little more) and are considerably better.
If it is really cold you might want to look at the different lining options as wellies are not warm by themselves.
I have worn a pair of Aigles a lot at Uni, both in town and in the countryside. They have a pretty serious sole, are comfortable enough to walk around in all day (I have used mine for light hiking) and are slim enough that you can wear them with jeans and not look too stupid. A side gusseted version costs a little more but it can make getting in and out of them easier with thick trousers/socks etc.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads