• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

van_hammersly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thecheat
I'd like some expert help from SF.

I generally can't spend more than $60-75 on some jeans, so I've worn Lucky Brand, BKE, and a few others the last few years.

I'd like to spend a similar amount of money, but would just like some good reasonable recommendations for jeans for someone who is a very generic 32X32. I generally prefer bootcut jeans, with a little bit of "slimfit" in the legs (but nothing ridiculous).

Any help would be appreciated.

that $60-75 price range is fairly constraining as anything appreciably better is going to cost more than that. You could probably find Nudies on sale for <$100, and they do have a bootcut model. I'll second the Levis and Uniqlo recommendation, both are very tasteful and are right at your price range.

Instead of a bootcut jean, can I recommend a straight-leg (not skinny) fit? The way the hem stacks on your shoes will give the impression of a bootcut when worn, but the jeans don't actually flare out. That is not considered a fashionable look around here.

hnlax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by van_hammersly
Instead of a bootcut jean, can I recommend a straight-leg (not skinny) fit? The way the hem stacks on your shoes will give the impression of a bootcut when worn, but the jeans don't actually flare out. That is not considered a fashionable look around here.
i agree with this. i'm not saying that you're just wearing a bootcut because everyone else wears it, and i know one does not need a reason to wear the clothes that he/she chooses, but do you like the bootcut look? do you feel that it adds to your look? i'm just not a fan of bootcut. i don't get the appeal. if you like it, then by all means wear it. i'm just curious as to the appeal of it. i kind of feel like it's a bit feminine, especially if the jeans fit pretty slim throughout and then flare at the bottom. maybe try looking at a pair of levis 514. i used to wear those a lot too. i realized it was closest to what i was actually looking for in terms of fit and went from there. i used to think i couldn't spend more than that on jeans either. then, i realized that my other jeans were wearing out way too fast and that i was continuously spending 60-75 dollars on new jeans every few months. with a pair of better denim, you're not going to want to impulsively buy jeans. i mean, i'd be at macys and buy a pair of levis because they were there. i started saving for a couple of good pairs, and i'm really happy with what i've got. i mean, there's nothing that great (a pair of apc ps, two pairs of naked and famous weird guys, a pair of crate routes and a pair of kmw rockers), but i feel like i've got a solid set of jeans that are not going to wear out...and i actually feel happy about these jeans rather than just that "they're as close to what i'd like to get". after thinking about it, the routes might be a good buy for you if you can find them. i paid around 110 for mine, and they're a solid pair of jeans.

kookydooky

Reaction score
About Shrink to Fit type denim

Does it lose its 'raw' stiffness and become a lot more softer after the first soak and becomes more easily moldable

van_hammersly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
About Shrink to Fit type denim

Does it lose its 'raw' stiffness and become a lot more softer after the first soak and becomes more easily moldable

The 'stiffness' comes from the fact the jeans are starched. As you wear them, the starch will come off and yes, the jeans will get much softer.

Soaking will get rid of the starch, but in my experience, raw denim actually becomes somewhat stiff again after a soak, especially if you let it hang dry. Just wear them for a little bit and they'll become soft afterwards.

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
Hey guys I need advice on Levis LVC 1947 Sizing. I wear 29/30(tagged) in Levis STF 501, will I wear about the same in the LVC 1947s? (I read they are similar cut with the 47's being slightly thinner in the thigh and less antifit, which is good for the 501s could be slimmed down tad IMO.

Thanks!

Badger

Reaction score
What I need help with, if possible, is what jeans 'should' be worn with high-tops?

I'll be honest and say I'm a bit overweight at this moment in time, though trying to lose it asap, and I don't see skinny jeans as the thing that would suit me whatsoever, its straight jeans I wear.

Thanks in advance.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Badger
What I need help with, if possible, is what jeans 'should' be worn with high-tops? I'll be honest and say I'm a bit overweight at this moment in time, though trying to lose it asap, and I don't see skinny jeans as the thing that would suit me whatsoever, its straight jeans I wear. Thanks in advance.
Since I see you're making an honest attempt in a sticky thread, I'll try to help some if I can. Be a little more specific on the type of hi top you own or are thinking of getting. Is it bulky (like say a Nike hi-top), have a slim profile (like say Chucks)? Also, what jean style have you been typically used to wearing, bootcuts, flares, wide leg, etc. and what other shoes will you be wearing these jeans with other than hi-tops? Without giving away too much personal information, what is your build like, thick up top, slim legs, thick throughout, etc. Consider some of those things, give some more information and members here including myself can assist better.

brohymn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Badger
What I need help with, if possible, is what jeans 'should' be worn with high-tops? I'll be honest and say I'm a bit overweight at this moment in time, though trying to lose it asap, and I don't see skinny jeans as the thing that would suit me whatsoever, its straight jeans I wear. Thanks in advance.
Here's the straight answer. If you aren't skinny with skinny legs wearing skinny jeans, hightops are going to look like ****. Listen, right now hightops are looking like they're just going to be a fad (probably in hindsight a dumb fad) anyways so just don't. DONT DO IT. ITS GOING TO LOOK BAD. I KNOW ITS A COOL LOOK BUT YOU'RE GOING TO LOOK STUPID BECAUSE YOU ARE FAT. ACCEPT THIS. That is of course assuming you're going to tuck your jeans or do whatever such that the high part of the hightops show. If not, wear whatever jeans you want. Welcome to styleforum

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear my skulls over some white AF1 highs when I go to the gym because I don't give a **** (and it saves me a precious minute since I can just slip them on).

Badger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Since I see you're making an honest attempt in a sticky thread, I'll try to help some if I can. Be a little more specific on the type of hi top you own or are thinking of getting. Is it bulky (like say a Nike hi-top), have a slim profile (like say Chucks)? Also, what jean style have you been typically used to wearing, bootcuts, flares, wide leg, etc. and what other shoes will you be wearing these jeans with other than hi-tops? Without giving away too much personal information, what is your build like, thick up top, slim legs, thick throughout, etc. Consider some of those things, give some more information and members here including myself can assist better.
Ive been looking at high tops such as the Clae Rollins (http://www.oki-ni.com/View-All-Clae/...vt/cla0004gry#) I'd say they ain't too bulky. I'd be wearing normal trainers/sneakers and plimsoles, as these are what i have mainly. I wear straight-cut jeans like 90% of the time, similar to these (http://www.asos.com/Nudie/Nudie-Aver...&clr=Dry+Heavy) I wouldn't say I'm fat, I just have a bit of a stomach there, but its not that noticeable. I'm wide shouldered, have a big chest, and pretty muscular legs (being why I cant see skinnys working for me).

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
I need to stimulate the American economy. Could someone give me a rough list of made in the usa jeans? For some reason, all of them besides Crate are avoiding me at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads