• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

teacher38

Reaction score
I'm 23, 6'1", and about 200 lbs. but currently slimming down. I'm a middle school teacher so I don't need anything super nice but I'd like to have a blazer on hand for certain events and going out on the town. I want a slim fitting one that can go with dress pants or jeans. As for my budget, I am a teacher so I need to keep it under $200. I found this on the Men's Warehouse web site and it looks like what I'm looking for. If anyone could provide me with some feedback about the jacket, I'd appreciate it. I thought most jackets had 2 buttons these days, not 3. Does that matter a lot? Here's a link for the jacket. http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/...64_BLACK_10051 Thanks for the help guys. Sorry for the noobish questions.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teacher38
I'm 23, 6'1", and about 200 lbs. but currently slimming down. I'm a middle school teacher so I don't need anything super nice but I'd like to have a blazer on hand for certain events and going out on the town. I want a slim fitting one that can go with dress pants or jeans. As for my budget, I am a teacher so I need to keep it under $200.

I found this on the Men's Warehouse web site and it looks like what I'm looking for. If anyone could provide me with some feedback about the jacket, I'd appreciate it. I thought most jackets had 2 buttons these days, not 3. Does that matter a lot? Here's a link for the jacket.

http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/...64_BLACK_10051

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry for the noobish questions.

If you're not looking for whole suit, stay away from a 3 button option IMO. Look for one with two buttons. I think what you're looking for is a sports coat. I would look for something with an unstructured shoulder (no football linebacker pads) in cotton, corduroy, and maybe even a thicker wool blend for colder weather.

ShaunB

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new coat/jacket for this winter. I live in the Midwest so the winters get coooold. It doesnt have to be anything too heavy though because chances are ill be wearing something under it. I want something thats classy but still casual that I can wear with a t shirt and jeans. I'd like to spend under $200 if possible. If you could help me out that would be great, thanks!

van_hammersly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShaunB
I'm looking for a new coat/jacket for this winter. I live in the Midwest so the winters get coooold. It doesnt have to be anything too heavy though because chances are ill be wearing something under it. I want something thats classy but still casual that I can wear with a t shirt and jeans. I'd like to spend under $200 if possible. If you could help me out that would be great, thanks!

I would check out Spiewak. Tobi, one of the forum affiliates, has a good selection. Here's a link. They're practically all under $200.

Sterlingwear Peacoats are around $140 and can be sized down for a slim fit.

teacher38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
If you're not looking for whole suit, stay away from a 3 button option IMO. Look for one with two buttons. I think what you're looking for is a sports coat. I would look for something with an unstructured shoulder (no football linebacker pads) in cotton, corduroy, and maybe even a thicker wool blend for colder weather.

Okay, that's what I thought. I'm looking for a black blazer or sports coat. Is there any difference between the two? Any suggestions on where to look or links for what you mentioned? Thanks

dron10

Reaction score
Under 200 is a little hard to pull off, however, this Rugby corduroy jacket is pretty nice for $175. Rugby's jackets are known for being fairly slim, so I'd at least consider it. http://rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?prod...719&cp=3138868 Don't buy a black blazer, it looks very "rube-ish." I'd stick with navy blue if you want a blazer.

gwydion

Reaction score
I know there are multiple threads on this subject and I've checked them all and couldn't find much that I liked. For the most part, people seem to just recommend ll bean katahdins or red wing GTs. And while they're nice, I'm not sure they're for me. I also haven't owned a pair of boots since probably roughly 8 years ago and those were the ones I wore when I was a kid.

My budget is $250...I can go a bit higher if I <really> like something I see. I also live in Canada so it gets quite cold and they spread salt EVERYWHERE. If there's any questions I can answer to help, please let me know. Temperatures are starting to dip below 0C(32F) and my toes are getting cold in my canvas shoes
frown.gif

ma1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gwydion
I know there are multiple threads on this subject and I've checked them all and couldn't find much that I liked. For the most part, people seem to just recommend ll bean katahdins or red wing GTs. And while they're nice, I'm not sure they're for me. I also haven't owned a pair of boots since probably roughly 8 years ago and those were the ones I wore when I was a kid.

My budget is $250...I can go a bit higher if I <really> like something I see. I also live in Canada so it gets quite cold and they spread salt EVERYWHERE. If there's any questions I can answer to help, please let me know. Temperatures are starting to dip below 0C(32F) and my toes are getting cold in my canvas shoes
frown.gif

What don't you like about them? Have you looked at red wing iron rangers? Theres also the j crew red wing 899 which is what I would get if I had the money. Any of them is going to hold up well in salt and snow if you regularly coat them in sno seal.

nomad

Reaction score
i got the 899's cheap on ebay, it came out to about 170 canadian, there still might be a few floating around. good boots, great sole for the winter. You might want to check out the thorogood x epaulet and also viberg since they're in canada

gwydion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ma1
What don't you like about them? Have you looked at red wing iron rangers? Theres also the j crew red wing 899 which is what I would get if I had the money. Any of them is going to hold up well in salt and snow if you regularly coat them in sno seal.

I just don't feel like they personally suit me. Do I have any good choices besides the workwear style boots?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a job at Banana Republic and they said I couldn't wear denim while working.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
I am such a denim slut; they're the only pants I ever wear. I guess this is a good thing, as I have to branch out now, but I'm just so damn used to wearing jeans all the time I have no idea what to do. I have some Acne chinos in the mail but I'm unsure as to what pants would be good in a casual-dress environment.

justpflo

Reaction score
Hi, I am going out tomorrow I am deciding on what to wear .

Black Cardigan with White Dress shirt / Gray dress shirt /
with white converse or brown desert boots
w/ navy slim jeans.

Sorry , my collection is limited, i recently got into the &quot;GAME&quot;!

im trying to go casual preppy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads