• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideal Weight for 6'2" 25 year old with Medium Build?

Lowndes

Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a great evening. I regularly post on the clothing forum but this is my first post over here. Lately, I have been losing a lot of weight trying to get down to my ideal weight that I can maintain. I ballooned up to 245 and so far have lost about 40 pounds. My goal is to get down in the 190-195 range. Does this sound about right?

I know it is a general question but I am just curious. I find it easy to keep reaching my goals when I have some idea what I am reaching for. Are there any other guys out there who are around 6'2 with a medium build who can share what their healthy weight is?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

malefic

Reaction score
I've always maintained there is no such thing as an ideal weight, only an ideal physique/appearance.

I'm almost 6'5 and I weigh a little over 180. I don't consider myself thin at all (I wear size 32-34 depending on the brand), but some people think that sounds really low. I think it's because I stay fit but mostly by walking -- I don't work out at all, so I have pretty low muscle mass. I know guys who are 6' or under who weigh the same as me or even more and are in great shape because they've put on a lot of muscle . . . . and muscle weighs more than fat . . . but I don't have that much of either . . . .

If I understand you correctly, you dropped from 245 to 205. To me this would indicate you already know what you're doing, so there's no reason you really need a "goal" weight (unless it's a mental thing and you need a goal to work toward). Just work out until you like the way you look, and then do whatever it takes to maintain that.

DDSJohnny

Reaction score
sounds about right. i'm 6'0" and am ~175 lbs or so (give or take a couple pounds depending on how much water i've taken in) and am trying to get to 180-185ish.

aguydude

Reaction score
190 10%bf.

It's hard to say what looks good. You could look great at 170 or 220 as long as your body fat is low. Some would say 170 is too skinny or 220 is too big... it's all in the eye of the beholder.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aguydude
190 10%bf.

It's hard to say what looks good. You could look great at 170 or 220 as long as your body fat is low. Some would say 170 is too skinny or 220 is too big... it's all in the eye of the beholder.

+1. Shoot for what your comfortable with. Weight is not as important as how you feel and what you see in the mirror.

I'm 6'2" 165 with roughly 8-9% BF. But realistically I'm a medium build, I just do so much endurance work that I've come close to emaciating myself. Bad news bears. That said, I get compliments, but I also get called 'chicken legs' etc. all the time...

If you prefer more muscle mass then 6'2" 210lb is better, and will still look great. Or if you prefer more lean, then 6'2" 170lb can look just as good, just different.

... there is a boundary however. I rock climb with a few guys who range 6" to 6'2" and they are like 140-150lbs.... They are strong as ****. As in 5-6 one-armed pull ups. But they look like they just got off a bus from Auschwitz...

chrisbiggs

Reaction score
I don't look into the imperial system. But I know that weight should be 2.3 times fewer than height. For example if your weight is 80kgs you height should be over 1,8 meters.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you do a lot of cycling you will get slender. I'm 6'2" @ around 155-160. I feel this is an ideal weight for a man built like me. I am lean, but don't look like I'm starving myself. I'm a 32-33 waist and a 38-40 jacket, depending on the maker. About 8 months ago I was around 175-180 and I look better without that extra weight.

Anyway, considering your build, 190 sounds good. See how you feel/look once you reach that weight. If you have built up some muscle weight over the years, 190 is fine. If not, maybe 180 would be a better goal.

Hangdog

Reaction score
What's a small frame, what's a big frame? I'm 5'9, 175 with a 31 or a 32. I don't understand how you can weigh 160 or less and have a 32 inch waist.

Newo

Reaction score
Do you want to be fit or look fit?

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
six feet tall, 160 lbs, 21 y/o

never been in better shape, im at 8-9% body fat

at that weight/bf, a little bit of upper body workout goes a long way towards looking fit

Runningman411

Reaction score
5'10", medium build here. 41" chest, 32" waist. I weigh 160-162 lbs and would like to get up to 170. At my weight right now, I'm pretty skinny by most people's standards. You guys that are 6'+ and at my weight are very skinny. I think the ideal weight for a 6'2" guy would be in the 180-190 range.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate it. To answer and comment on a few of the questions:

With regards to being fit versus looking fit. I guess my answer to this is that I want to be healthy and look in decent shape. I am not really looking to get a six pack or drop to a really low body fat percentage. I am simply looking to get to a level where I fill I will be able to maintain that weight in the future. I'll be a lawyer starting next year so I will not have a whole lot of free time. I would like to be at a level that I can simply maintain by doing 45 minutes of exercise, 5 days a week. I have this entire year to get to that goal though. 3L year of law school is quite boring so my goal this year was to get down to my ideal weight for my legal career. I have just been treating it like an extra law school class.

Also, what would be consider a healthy body fat percentage? I have been aiming to get down between 13 and 17%. Does that sound right? Also, where can I get measured for this? Do I have to go to a doctor or where the recreation center on campus be able to do it (accurately)?

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Pics would help if you want a honest opinion.

I'm 6'2" medium build around 220 lbs but I think 200 is about right for my body type -- but I'll never know until I get there. I've weighed more in the past and always thought 220 would be ideal, but now that I'm 220 I know I've still got work to do.

You'll know your ideal weight when you see it.

Also, at age 25 some guys still have a teenager's body, others have an old man's body. You will "fill out" as you age, but that's not always a bad thing.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Pics would help if you want a honest opinion.

I'm 6'2" medium build around 220 lbs but I think 200 is about right for my body type -- but I'll never know until I get there. I've weighed more in the past and always thought 220 would be ideal, but now that I'm 220 I know I've still got work to do.

You'll know your ideal weight when you see it.

Also, at age 25 some guys still have a teenager's body, others have an old man's body. You will "fill out" as you age, but that's not always a bad thing.

Thanks, I'll post some pictures soon. I broke my camera on a recent canyoneering trip but we are suppose to get it back today. If that is the case I'll snap some this evening. Otherwise I have some pictures I took a month or so ago when I weighed 217 and I will post those. Thanks for the reply.

enjoiii

Reaction score
Malefic-Your 6'5 and just over 180 and dont consider yourself thin at all? Are you delusional?

Musicguy-At 6'2 155-160 you probably do look like your starving yourself.

Anyways im 6"2 with a medium build and im at 200 lbs right now, probably around 12% bf. I've got a medium build and anywhere between 190-205 depending on bf is about right. Don't go below 180 or your gonna start looking fairyesque similar to Malefic ad Musicguy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads