• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I probably have more A-Es than most members of this forum. I have always bought only those that fit so well in the store that I felt I could walk out of there and keep going for three or four miles with no discomfort. I have never noticed any appreciable amount of stretching. I hope for the O.P.'s sake they do "break in." If not, as others have suggested, a cobbler may be able to stretch them to a comfortable fit.

I have never been a believer in buying shoes that don't fit well from the get-go on the premise that they will "break in." I am told, however, that some of the finest English shoes like John Lobb St. James are made to fit very tight initially and do require considerable breaking in.

How is the pair that A-E sent you?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig

patch[1].gif

I find that AEs are extraordinarily comfortable once broken in. I also find that when they fit, they start out comfortable.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig

Nice try. I doubt we'll ever see them. Iirc, weren't they basically Broadstreet specs?

SVS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Two things:
If I have the story right, you tried these on at a trunk show and the ones you got delivered did not fit the same way. This is not your problem it is theirs. Life is far too short for ill fitting shoes.

You are correct. I tried on the exact same size and style of shoe before ordering this pair. I don't know way the pair I tried on was so much more comfortable. I couldn't agree with you more that that shoes should be comfortable and that it is their problem if the shoes don't fit. That's specifically why I purchased from a legitimate B&M retailer vs a heavily discounted pair via the internet.

I've worn the shoes around my house for a few hours. They have loosed up a fair amount. They now feel like a lot more like they fit and are just tighter than I'm used to. I don't know that they will ever reach slipper soft feel of shoes that I get from thin, baby soft Zegna leather or a pair of cheap, generously cut Rockport's, but they will probably improve enough to wear.

AE's seem to be a fairly full D but I think I'll find a retailer with E's in stock before I buy another pair.

billiebob

Reaction score
Hmmm. I guess I should go back to rubber soled shoes. I like my leather shoes well enough but if I'm going to walk more than the 2 miles a day I already do with them, I'll wear sneakers. Sadly, none of the 20+ pairs of english shoes I have are nearly as comfortable as the $39.99 pair of Rockport DressSports that I never wear anymore. I like my leather shoes so I will just deal with it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smoothie
tell more of the OTC shoe stretch liquid

Basically I put some of my "liquid" on your shoes and they stretch. Easy!

SVS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
Sadly, none of the 20+ pairs of english shoes I have are nearly as comfortable as the $39.99 pair of Rockport DressSports that I never wear anymore. I like my leather shoes so I will just deal with it.

I feel your pain. Cheap Rockport's are hard to beat for pure comfort.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

ya, but make your own, that stuff in shoes stores is so overprices its basically water afterall. and if you don't to risk isopropyl alcohol on your shoes, you can just use water alone, it works just as well. i can attest to that.

smoothie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

I'll have nothing of the sort. Keep your "liquid" to your self chap!

FreedBird

Reaction score
Usually the fit of the AE welted shoes is pretty consistent, but the handsewns are a whole different ballgame. However, once in awhile the welted shoes can be lasted a bit tight. Generally the shoe should fit perfectly out of the box, but all shoes need to be broken in a bit and there is a difference between a snug fit here and a tight fit. Tight is bad. A bit snug will normally loosen up over time.

2Scoops

Reaction score
the pair of AEs that i got softened up quite a bit after a week or two of wearing. i don't know if they stretched any.

uiriamu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
At the ball of your foot, in a battle between the foot and the leather, the foot will win. I feel confident about that. I don't feel as confident about a battle between your toes and the leather, because your toes "give" pretty readily. On the other hand, depending on specifically where the tightness is, you may be able to solve the problem by stretching the shoe. That's what I had to do with one of my Lamberts. With my Delrays, the original fit was similar to what you describe, but the tightness around the toes was so borderline that I didn't bother with the stretching, and the shoes are comfortable now.
How much do Allen Edmonds shoes stretch width-wise?

Just got a pair of dark brown Allen Edmonds 5th Avenues in 9.5 C (same last 5 as the popular Park Avenue). All the proportions are great except my toes on my left foot seem to be a touch wider so the shoes pinch a bit against my toes (the balls of my feet fit nicely)

Is this a deal breaker, or can I expect the shoe to stretch and widen or break in more comfortably over a short period of time? I don't have much experience with how AEs break in.

If it's going to be a bad fit, any suggestions on similar shoes that would be narrow enough overall (come in C-width, etc), but might have a wider, more accomodating toebox?

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uiriamu
How much do Allen Edmonds shoes stretch width-wise?

Just got a pair of dark brown Allen Edmonds 5th Avenues in 9.5 C (same last 5 as the popular Park Avenue). All the proportions are great except my toes on my left foot seem to be a touch wider so the shoes pinch a bit against my toes (the balls of my feet fit nicely)

Is this a deal breaker, or can I expect the shoe to stretch and widen or break in more comfortably over a short period of time? I don't have much experience with how AEs break in.

If it's going to be a bad fit, any suggestions on similar shoes that would be narrow enough overall (come in C-width, etc), but might have a wider, more accomodating toebox?

Why not move up to the D width? I have a pair of fifth aves in 10.5 E and they are a smidge snug on the right shoe from a width standpoint, only just got them and actually had to return them as they were ripped on the inside, waiting for my replacement pair in the mail as the shop was out of stock.

I am debating getting a pair of PA's from the shoebank as I like the style but I have a wide flat foot, emailed AE about this since the 5 last isnt supposed to be good for that style to which they said that the 5/PA/FA is a very popular shoe and is good for any foot depending on if the size is right.

I would think that it will stretch a bit in that area as you will be flexing around there...if your toes hit the front of the shoe or if the sides were super tight then that is something else, but just slightly tight on the sides of the toes IMHO isn't that bad...but it all depends on your own comfort level.

My problem is I can never find shoes that stay put in the heels, my feet always slip enough to cause blisters until they break in which sucks.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
Yes, AE's do stretch.

To accelerate the process you can stretch them by spraying them lightly with a solution made of 3 parts water and 1 parts isopropyl alcohol and walking around in them for a couple of minutes.

Will this method work on suede too?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uiriamu
How much do Allen Edmonds shoes stretch width-wise? Just got a pair of dark brown Allen Edmonds 5th Avenues in 9.5 C (same last 5 as the popular Park Avenue). All the proportions are great except my toes on my left foot seem to be a touch wider so the shoes pinch a bit against my toes (the balls of my feet fit nicely) Is this a deal breaker, or can I expect the shoe to stretch and widen or break in more comfortably over a short period of time? I don't have much experience with how AEs break in. If it's going to be a bad fit, any suggestions on similar shoes that would be narrow enough overall (come in C-width, etc), but might have a wider, more accomodating toebox?
This same issue -- tightness at the toes on one foot -- keeps me away from most AEs. I tried a pair and thought they'd break in, but the leather was too thick and unforgiving. Even tried stretch fluid and no luck. Maybe I could have worn them in, eventually, but I have enough shoes that I wasn't going to punish my feet. I finally decided I'd be better off with a different brand with a more forgiving toebox, or at least with more supple leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics