• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about "The Godfather"

ClassyGuy1

Reaction score
-Why does Sonny get whacked? (The only answer I can come up with is that he appeared to be awfully cocky and didn't listen to anyone, basically marching to the beat of his own drum. So that made him impossible for people to deal with)

-Why did Luca Brasi get whacked? (This one, no matter how many times I watch it, I can't seem to figure out why exactly he got whacked)

Beta

Reaction score
I think Luca was going to kill one of the tattaglia kids, and sonny wanted to go to war, even though it was really barzini that ordered the hit.

allcapitan

Reaction score
1. everybody whacks everybody.

2. sonny wanted to go to the mattresses instead of making the peace with the turk (which would allow all five families to profit)

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luca Brasi was 100% loyal to Don Corleone. Even after the latter's death, there's no way he would not have stirred **** against the people who killed him. From the outset of the movie (at the wedding), we see how nervous Luca gets in front of the GF.

Remember when Tom tells the Turk that there's no way he'd manage to get Luca Abrasia on their side? and the Turk responded by telling him that he's not worried about Luca (since they already killed him).

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClassyGuy1
-Why does Sonny get whacked? (The only answer I can come up with is that he appeared to be awfully cocky and didn't listen to anyone, basically marching to the beat of his own drum. So that made him impossible for people to deal with)

-Why did Luca Brasi get whacked? (This one, no matter how many times I watch it, I can't seem to figure out why exactly he got whacked)

You're not moving on to Godfather II until you pass Godfather I

allcapitan

Reaction score
Luca was the most loyal of the Don's "muscle." There was no evidence of dissatisfaction on his part prior to his meeting with The Turk. Also, the meeting followed immediately after the Don turned down the turk's request to do business together. The turk smelled a rat and acted accordingly.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
Luca was the most loyal of the Don's "muscle." There was no evidence of dissatisfaction on his part prior to his meeting with The Turk. Also, the meeting followed immediately after the Don turned down the turk's request to do business together. The turk smelled a rat and acted accordingly.

+1, also, there is good reason to believe that he was simply the best of the Don's "muscle" (maybe not the brightest)

sonny was acting Don, he got killed because killing him weakened the family.

em36

Reaction score
The answer to these and more questions lies in watching the trilogy at least twenty times each decade.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by em36
The answer to these and more questions lies in watching the trilogy at least twenty times each decade.

So, in other words, just put your tv on AMC and leave it there.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan

yes this was the reason why Luca was killed.

i thought they killed sonny because he publicly beat the crap out of the husband of his sister and the husband was part of one of the gangs against them. no? i got to watch it again.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sonny, I think, got killed for the simple reason that he orchestrated Michael's assasination of the cop and the Turk (actually, Michael orchestrated it, but Sonny organized the whole thing, having been by then the de facto head of the family). IIRC, Sonny was assasinated when they tried (but failed) to blow up Michael in Sicily. It was an attack on the Corleone boys.

The boyfriend was just a pawn to get Sonny all riled up and out the door so that the assasins could set up the kill.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picture3.jpg
Whoa. That's some serious cross-poasting, there ClassyGuy1

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Whoa.
That's some serious cross-poasting, there ClassyGuy1

So Rube, you were going to google the question so that you can post an answer?
wink.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Google is amazing.
I was interested to see if there was a discussion somewhere regarding Mr. Brasi.

edit: At the behest of my son-in-law, a Microsoft employee (er "partner") I am supposed to say "Bing".

ClassyGuy1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Google is amazing.
I was interested to see if there was a discussion somewhere regarding Mr. Brasi.

edit: At the behest of my son-in-law, a Microsoft employee (er "partner") I am supposed to say "Bing".

At the behest of myself, for copying-and-pasting my B&B post, you're an asshole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads