• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Smudge

Reaction score
Of the ties you've pictured I'd say the purple one works best. Having said that I think you could do much better. The TM Lewin site is quite good for getting an idea of what ties go with what shirts: http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/productlist...eofwales?pg=10 Have fun at the ball. PS Given it's a "semi-formal ball (?)" could you go tie-less?

pegasus

Reaction score
What belt would go nicely with dark blue APC denim, RL Polo blue/white OCBD a dark or grey coloured 1/4 zip/crewneck merino and a pair C&J Chiltern i dark brown suede?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Er... Dark brown suede?

Dan e gee

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of Eligio Garbo shoes?
The reviews that I have read, by retailers, are favourable. One says, and I quote; "If a poem was a shoe, Eligio Garbo would be it's name. . A fabulous vintage feeling declined in soft, high-quality materials. Shoes to die for."
eh.gif

I'd like to know if anyone has had a pair, if they are well made and comfortable.

Dan e gee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GloryField
so the purple one actually won't work well with lavender? If anyone has pictures of a few ties that would work well with lavender shirt, can u post it? thanks
Brown, cream and yellow compliment lavender. Brown goes nice with grey also.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
I'm thinking to formal / conservative occasions. Weddings and job interviews. Certainly not with jeans, khakis, cords, it seems it won't work without a suit/tux.
Sweet Lord no! Do not wear patent leather shoes to a job interview. Patent leather is reserved only for formal wear (dinner jackets, morning coats, etc.).

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smudge
PS Given it's a "semi-formal ball (?)" could you go tie-less?
"Semi-formal" means black tie. "Formal" is white tie and "business" is suit with tie although contemporary bastardization of those terms abound.

Dan e gee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GloryField
so the purple one actually won't work well with lavender? If anyone has pictures of a few ties that would work well with lavender shirt, can u post it? thanks

This Borrelli Napoli tie would go well with a lavender shirt and charcoal grey suit. Especially with a pair of brown shoes.

moby

Reaction score
I have a nautica leather bomber jacket that is more than a decade old...it looks a bit worn, and I was wondering if I should restore/polish the leather just so it doesn't look so beat up. if you think I should restore the leather, what do you recommend?

joeyp2003

Reaction score
help reccomend me a watch- I don't have too much preference actually I loved the watch that J.crew has put out mainly because I love the straps that fit it. However the face of the watch is much too small for me. I usually wear a watch that is about 4.5 meters give or take (could be measuring wrong) I'd be looking for a watch under 200$ in that size range with a canvas strap (if it could fit the jcrew ones it'd be ideal.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paging podiatrists and shoe aficionados. I'm sure this question is dumb, but I'm asking in the quick questions thread, so don't hit me.

After only a short period of wear, most of my leather dress shoes tend to cause intense pain along the top of my foot, around where the top of the toebox creases to meet the foot while walking. Is this a sign that the shoes fit improperly? Or do I just need to break them in and soften the leather? Suede and canvas shoes and leather boots in equivalent sizes don't cause me any discomfort.

mrfloppy

Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation for my first dress shoe (brand or type). In regards to budget, I am a college student but I willing to spend on shoes which will last. Primarily, I am looking for a shoe that will fit into a creative environment (have an internship in the film industry), but also work in social situations. Does such a shoe exist? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics