• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
With respect to the rich boys here, this thread is for the rest of us, to also enjoy our shoes too.
As most men in North America (if not the world) cannot afford to buy Alden and up,
we do have our own 'High End' shoe options; that being primarily Allen Edmonds.

Welcome, Cruiser! I wondered when you'd start posting over here!

JLibourel
What can I say? I've got 42 pairs of A-Es. The vast majority of these are seconds, often closeouts, purchased for $129 or sometimes less.
You know that, for the same money, you could have gotten a pair of bespoke Lobb St. James, right? -- Two pair, given the current sale.

vezatron

Reaction score
PSA: If you have access to aafes Allen Edmonds can be purchased quite cheap with coupons or special orders.

That said I started with the Park Avenue and Hale and have now graduated to Alden. Still, they are wonderful shoes.

youngScholar

Reaction score
Those vintage cordovan wingtips are incredible.
inlove.gif

What I'd really like to see from AE is a high-end boot comparable to Alden's Indy Boot. That includes an option to use cordovan leather.

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
how do you store 42 pairs of AE shoes? you need a separate bedroom for just that.

and how does your wife respond when she passes by? closes her eyes and shakes her head?

She thinks to herself how lucky she is that this particular leather fetish doesn't involve whips and chains.
laugh.gif

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngScholar
She thinks to herself how lucky she is that this particular leather fetish doesn't involve whips and chains.
laugh.gif

^^Woulda been a better investment IMO.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
crackup[1].gif
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
^^Woulda been a better investment IMO.

crackup[1].gif
now back to 77 Sunset Strip...and the discussion of AEs

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I am going to guess a size 6, maybe 6.5. Nice choice btw.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
You know that, for the same money, you could have gotten a pair of bespoke Lobb St. James, right? -- Two pair, given the current sale.

I know, and would I have gotten the wardrobe flexibility that I have with my A-Es? Would the solitary pair (or two) of Lobb St. James last longer than a rotation of 42pairs of A-Es? Would they be equally suitable for going to a funeral, taking a six-mile walk and mucking about in the yard? And, most tellingly, how many people, really, would notice the subtle differences between the Lobb St. James shoes and a similar pair of A-Es?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I know, and would I have gotten the wardrobe flexibility that I have with my A-Es? Would the solitary pair (or two) of Lobb St. James last longer than a rotation of 42pairs of A-Es? Would they be equally suitable for going to a funeral, taking a six-mile walk and mucking about in the yard? And, most tellingly, how many people, really, would notice the subtle differences between the Lobb St. James shoes and a similar pair of A-Es?

All of the above ...they should have named an AE shoe after you for brand fealty and instead all the gave you was those damn old spectators...

Originally Posted by Mr.Sam
51815671.jpg

Got these in the mail today. So far so good.

Fab brogeuing..still hope that AE gets the vintage mojo working..

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many seem to think that AE provides excellent value but would you pay full retail for this? If not, then at what price would you consider fair?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
51815671.jpg

The Strand was the only AE shoe I've ever owned for any length of time. If mine were this color instead of black I would probably still have them.

Good choice.

Hoofit

Reaction score
51815671.jpg

This is a great looking shoe. I have a pair in burgundy corrected grain ugh. But also found a pair of old Cliftons that look very similar. Just back from recraft last year.
july2008002.jpg

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a few weeks ago, somebody posted pictures of new AE models and there were a couple that were quite attractive even for AE

anybody remember the link to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads