• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do if your tailor tells you you're fat?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
GRRRR!!

im sorry.... but ...what happened?? ! hey man i was just getting to like flip flopper!!!
frown.gif
facepalm.gif

"<grrrrrr...", is just a phase im going through!!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjHession
I agree, I dont think the women intended to offend me, but as previously stated it was one of the first things she said to me, and i think thats why it was offensive, If I had been going there for quite some time and was well acquainted with her I think it would have been taken by me differently. Clearly we just go off on the wrong foot.

If a tailor honestly believes your physique will prevent him from doing a satisfactory job for you, would you rather be stringed along? I don't know enough about your situation to judge it specifically, but the bare facts you describe don't suffice to indicate offensive behavior.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yes. I can't change my height, but an overweight person can lose weight. In fact, it would be healthy for him to do so, tailoring issues aside. Moreover, the tailor's daughter didn't say, "Hey ___, you're fat!" She gave him specific advice with respect to taking better advantage of the product they sell.

Fair enough.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjHession
I don't intend to make a big deal out of it, I found it strange that one of the first things this women said to me was I am to young to be this big, that's generally speaking not a good way to start a conversation or a relationship. What I found more offensive was that I told her this offended me, that I had lost significant weight, and that she didn't seemed to be fazed by it. I don't think she intended to be rude, but I felt she was, and she didn't seem to be fazed by me telling her that. It could be alot of things, but they sure seemed to act a bit different this morning, Anyhow I didn't intend to make it into a "cause celebre" just thought it would get some laughs. And I am very please with the service I recieved today at Centofani.
I am not sure that is really a bad thing. I can understand you not expecting it nor were you soliciting advice but I see this the same as a doctor telling you that you are too big. I personally think a suit looks good when a person is slimmer but a suit can mask a significant amount of weight. Look at Alec Baldwin. He is pretty fat/pudgy and his suits hide a lot of this. If a body builder went in they could also say they are too big as well. It just throws off the proportions.

You should not have taken it so harshly. Why did you lose weight recently? Is it because you yourself thought you were too big?

I know it is easier for us all to say lose weight. I know it is not that easy. But if you lost 60 pounds I bet you would be happier with your suits. **** I think you would just be happier.

I apologize for making the assumptions in my post.

Good luck.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Yes. I can't change my height, but an overweight person can lose weight. In fact, it would be healthy for him to do so, tailoring issues aside. Moreover, the tailor's daughter didn't say, "Hey ___, you're fat!" She gave him specific advice with respect to taking better advantage of the product they sell.

oh so if its something you can change it's OK to be boorish about it? what a crock
that would be like me saying to you that you are ugly but you can change with plastic surgery, not only that you can get limb lengthening surgery and wear riser shoes, boom now you're taller

mjHession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
I am not sure that is really a bad thing. I can understand you not expecting it nor were you soliciting advice but I see this the same as a doctor telling you that you are too big. I personally think a suit looks good when a person is slimmer but a suit can mask a significant amount of weight. Look at Alec Baldwin. He is pretty fat/pudgy and his suits hide a lot of this. If a body builder went in they could also say they are too big as well. It just throws off the proportions.

You should not have taken it so harshly. Why did you lose weight recently? Is it because you yourself thought you were too big?

I know it is easier for us all to say lose weight. I know it is not that easy. But if you lost 60 pounds I bet you would be happier with your suits. **** I think you would just be happier.

I apologize for making the assumptions in my post.

Good luck.

Certainly I lost weight because I think im too big, but at this point my time spent in the books as a grad student are more important then time spent at the gym... Loosing weight is important to me, and I am working at it, It's just the the first priority of mine.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
oh so if its something you can change it's OK to be boorish about it? what a crock
that would be like me saying to you that you are ugly but you can change with plastic surgery, not only that you can get limb lengthening surgery and wear riser shoes, boom now you're taller

I hate the overuse of the word 'boorish' on the forums.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I was getting fit at Oxxford years ago, they advised me to slow down my orders and not get anything too slim because I am bound to gain weight and change body shape over the years.

maybe they thought you were still growing
rimshot.gif

Originally Posted by JayJay
I've also been told by alterations tailors to gain weight. Never found it offensive but being told to gain seems easier to accept than being told to lose weight.

people don't seem to get this.

Anyway, how do threaks like this get so long
confused.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Anyway, how do threaks like this get so long
confused.gif

Is this the thread where I come to reserve the eliptical trainer at 5PM?

- B

Benzito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
The lady may tell the truth but I don't think this will have a happy ending.

I thought this threak was about a tailor shop, not a massage parlor? I don't think fattiness matters as long as you tip.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And then there's the tailor's compliment...

Fifteen years ago on a trip to London, I was complimented
on my physique and asked if I worked out, while shopping
on Jermyn St. I wasn't sure if it were a compliment or an opening
line. Hasn't happened recently.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hear that in england they ask if you play rugby when you go into a tailor. that is code for &quot;my, you have fat legs&quot;

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get the honesty trip when you do go to your tailor. Tailoring is made for people who have unconventional measurements.

The guy is not going to a local weight watchers reunion. He is going to his tailor.

I would like to see the people advocating the all truth and nothing else than the truth having a taste of that particular medecine.

If you want a life trainer , your tailor is not the right place.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
And then there's the tailor's compliment...

Fifteen years ago on a trip to London, I was complimented
on my physique and asked if I worked out, while shopping
on Jermyn St. I wasn't sure if it were a compliment or an opening
line. Hasn't happened recently.

Are you still working out or did that stop 15 years ago?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads