• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just picked up a pair of Alden Capt Toe Boots

Rusty G.

Reaction score
Well, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd jump right in with a new purchase. . .Just got these today, a pair of Alden Cap Toe boots in black cordovan on the Plaza last.

Here's a link to the boots:
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...p_Boot_169.htm

I bought them for casual to semi-casual wear. . .Jeans and business casual at the office.

They've got a commando sole, so, they would not be appropriate with a suit, but a pair of black or gray pants with a sweater or something like that would be nice.

Not sure I'm going to like the cordovan. It's very shiny. Of course, the shoes are new and may fade a little bit with wear, but these shoes are shiny.

Very well constructed, and I'm sure that with proper care, they should last for years.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rusty G.
Well, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd jump right in with a new purchase. . .Just got these today, a pair of Alden Cap Toe boots in black cordovan on the Plaza last.

Here's a link to the boots:
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...p_Boot_169.htm

I bought them for casual to semi-casual wear. . .Jeans and business casual at the office.

They've got a commando sole, so, they would not be appropriate with a suit, but a pair of black or gray pants with a sweater or something like that would be nice.

Not sure I'm going to like the cordovan. It's very shiny. Of course, the shoes are new and may fade a little bit with wear, but these shoes are shiny.

Very well constructed, and I'm sure that with proper care, they should last for years.

The shine won't go away at all if you keep them even remotely clean.

Either love it or leave it!

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
a bit shiny for my tastes to be honest. but i suppose that's cordovan mystique.

It is.

He can try throwing some wax on there to muddle them up but I'd recommend against it as the Cordovan leather responds best to simple buffing and elbow grease ... the wax will probably only do more harm than good in the long run anyways

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goldfish12
what's the laces material?
I believe it is waxed cotton. Great boots. They will shine and shine and shine. It is not a bad thing. Wear them with skinny jeans.

Rusty G.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
I believe it is waxed cotton. Great boots. They will shine and shine and shine. It is not a bad thing. Wear them with skinny jeans.

I agree, I believe it's just a waxed cotton.

I put them on yesterday when they were delivered to my office, and wore them out to eat with my wife last night. . of course, I put on a pair of jeans to wear them with. Great feeling. . .almost like they were broken in when you put them on.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Powerful looking boots. Nice purchase, congratulations!

coolwaterz

Reaction score
what is a commando sole and why cant they be worn with a suit? pardon the noob question

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolwaterz
what is a commando sole and why cant they be worn with a suit? pardon the noob question
This is a picture of a commando sole:

DSC_1063_1.jpg

Some people do wear them with suits but the majority consensus is no. I believe the reason is that it is not sleek enough to go with a suit and looks odd. Some people in place where it rains a lot, like Seattle, prefer to wear a shoe with a commando sole instead of over shoes or having an inferior shoe for the wet weather. You certainly can wear a commando sole with a suit and the vast majority of the population will not notice so it is personal preference.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might be criticised for saying this, but I think those would look much better in calf.

Rusty G.

Reaction score
Well. . .Cordovan is supposed to be better for rain, because of the grain of the leather. . .I was told this week that most people from the deep South don't buy cordovan because it doesn't breath like calf. On the other hand, it does rain in Louisiana quite a lot.

I agree, it might have been better in calf, but for now, I'm rocking the cordovan.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolwaterz
Many people don't wear them with suits but I do. In fact, today I have on black wingtip shell high boots with my navy suit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rusty G.
Well. . .Cordovan is supposed to be better for rain, because of the grain of the leather. . .I was told this week that most people from the deep South don't buy cordovan because it doesn't breath like calf. On the other hand, it does rain in Louisiana quite a lot.

I agree, it might have been better in calf, but for now, I'm rocking the cordovan.

Rusty, very nice boots. I think they look better in cordovan, but I prefer shell over calf mostly. Also over time the shine will dull, especially if you polish infrequently and do not buff vigorously. AoC has great instructions regarding shell maintenance. Enjoy your boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads