• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do if your tailor tells you you're fat?

kngrimm

Reaction score
Hmm... weird and unnecessary replies.

The only question would be, "Is this your ideal weight?"

Spending lots of money when you still have other goals seems silly. I'd suggest you wait - you have plenty of time.

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjHession
This one is for some laughs, as well as some advice. I recently decided I wanted to find a better tailor in my area (30 min north of Philly). I find about this guy Joe Centofani, he seems to be regarded as the best around here on SF, so I go in there and I think it's his daughter who probably about mid 40's, tells me im too young to be this big (im 24 and wear a 48r). I told her that i have lost some weight a few years ago, but have sat where im at for a while now. I was about 350lbs, now around 260. She doesn't take the time to even pin my sleeves at the same length, joe noticed this though and pointed it out to her, then when I was leaving she says (maybe as a joke) i only need to loose 40 more pounds to look good in a suit. Should I go somewhere else or just deal with her comments? Sure I know i'm fat, but i don't need her telling me. Also I want to build a relationship with my tailor, not sure how that will happen with her.

Thoughts?

lol, f*ck her - who needs that abuse?! nice job losing 90lbs!

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
If someone tells you you're fat, get off the ******* internet forum and go to the gym. What's the point in going to the tailor to get nice clothes fitted when you'll look like **** regardless? Two chins are certainly not better than one.

wow. personal attack. sheesh
boxing[1].gif

JensenH

Reaction score
This one is for some laughs, as well as some advice. I recently decided I wanted to find a better tailor in my area (30 min north of Philly). I find about this guy Joe Centofani, he seems to be regarded as the best around here on SF, so I go in there and I think it's his daughter who probably about mid 40's, tells me im too young to be this big (im 24 and wear a 48r). I told her that i have lost some weight a few years ago, but have sat where im at for a while now. I was about 350lbs, now around 260. She doesn't take the time to even pin my sleeves at the same length, joe noticed this though and pointed it out to her, then when I was leaving she says (maybe as a joke) i only need to loose 40 more pounds to look good in a suit. Should I go somewhere else or just deal with her comments? Sure I know i'm fat, but i don't need her telling me. Also I want to build a relationship with my tailor, not sure how that will happen with her.

Thoughts?

I'd thank her for her honesty and try my best to lose some weight. Sweet talks and flattery will get you nowhere in life. Straight talks may bruise your ego a bit, but are definitely helpful for self betterment.

Please let us know if you've decided to use their service or not.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Well the important thing is, it wasn't the tailor who commented/insulted you on your weight. Just his daughter/assistant. I'd suggest going at least one more time, requesting to see the tailor (the father) only, for all fitting, pinning, etc. If he or the daughter asks why, comment on the unprofessional nature of your last experience with this girl. If the tailor is professional, he will fit you himself (and probably apologize for his daughter's behavior). Perhaps he will offer some constructive criticism regarding your weight (e.g., "you would look so much better in this suit if you could shave off a few lbs. here..." vs. what his daughter said), or he will make you look your best regardless of size (this should be expected regardless of him comments, of course). If the above is not the case, then find a new tailor.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to be honest, after a certain point a good looking suit does not look good just because of sheer size.

drape and tapering goes straight out of the window. look at the back pants pockets, they become so far skewed it looks strange, and a large person fitting into an otr suit is nearly impossible, as most people store their fat in their midsection, sizing up the jackets enables them to button their suits, but have like 10 inches excess fabric in the shoulders. the other thing is, Men's suits were not designed to have size F breasts, which causes pulling and wrinkles in odd places.
I guess one does get more of their moneys worth in fabric, if a size 58 suit cost the same as a 36s, but uses like double the material...

congrats on losing 90lbs and continuing, not the easiest accomplishment. keep it up, and don't end up like those robust people who have given up.

Benzito

Reaction score
You do infinitely more exercise than me, so I can't really talk, but I will anyway. Besides losing weight and all that common sense advice, why not remind her or the tailor that their job is to take an ill-fitting suit and make it look good.

Doesn't make a difference if "you are too fat" or "you are too thin" or, like me, "my, my, you have a huge bulge between your legs and I'd love to take you in the back so you can trade for services instead of paying with a check that I'd have to report to the IRS and pay taxes on."

Yes, it would be a female tailor, you jerks.

Artigas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
I'd thank her for her honesty and try my best to lose some weight. Sweet talks and flattery will get you nowhere in life. Straight talks may bruise your ego a bit, but are definitely helpful for self betterment.

This is not a question of sweet talk vs. straight talk. This is a question of minding one's own business vs. going out of one's way to ridicule. Your tailor has only slightly more call to comment on your weight than a stranger you meet on the street, and only then as it relates to your specific transaction--e.g. "a large man like yourself should probably go for a more conservative-styled suit; here are some options I'd consider". Not "you look bad in clothes" as you bid each other goodbye.

Besides... it's a tailor, for goodness' sake. Their job is to make clothes for you, not to become your "total body image consultant". If I want that, I'll go to a doctor or hire a trainer. At least they probably won't try to advise me on my choice of clothing.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would call him a few choice words of my own then find a new one, he obviously doesn't need your bisnuess or he would have treated you with better service.

Robby517

Reaction score
This could be a matter of cultural difference, Joe Centofani sounds italian, mediterranean people are know for not being as subtle as northern people. If your tailor tells you you are fat, you have two choices, find a subtler tailor or get over the cultural difference.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
answer: look for Kunk. train with Kunk.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
Well, 220 was my weight at my max. and I'm 6'2" and wore a 43L. Just depends on the person.

It certainly does. I'm 5'9'' and weigh 170. I wear 44R,
at least in Belvest, Isaia, Battistoni. When I was around
160, I wore 42 or 43 in US made garments.

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artigas
This is not a question of sweet talk vs. straight talk. This is a question of minding one's own business vs. going out of one's way to ridicule. Your tailor has only slightly more call to comment on your weight than a stranger you meet on the street, and only then as it relates to your specific transaction--e.g. "a large man like yourself should probably go for a more conservative-styled suit; here are some options I'd consider". Not "you look bad in clothes" as you bid each other goodbye.

Besides... it's a tailor, for goodness' sake. Their job is to make clothes for you, not to become your "total body image consultant". If I want that, I'll go to a doctor or hire a trainer. At least they probably won't try to advise me on my choice of clothing.

OP said the woman "tells me im too young to be this big" How is this "going out of one's way to ridicule?

A good tailor is suppose to give you his/her honest opinions and advice on how to dress in addition to making clothes for you. Whether or not you take their advice is your peragotive.

Again, I would rather hear the truth that perhaps stings a bit than hear fawning salespeak that does nothing but strokes my ego.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can't run very far very fast, .

Don't run. Bad for your knees at your size. Plenty of other low impact things you can do. Think barbell step ups.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads