• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do if your tailor tells you you're fat?

BareSolid

Reaction score
If someone tells you you're fat, get off the ******* internet forum and go to the gym. What's the point in going to the tailor to get nice clothes fitted when you'll look like **** regardless? Two chins are certainly not better than one.

82-Greg

Reaction score
Intolerable rudeness is intolerable rudeness.

Don't ever go see them again. Repeat the story as often as possible.

Artigas

Reaction score
There's a big difference between "well, sir, you're really too large to look good in this particular style. Might I suggest x style or y shop to better accomodate you?" and "remember to come in next week, and oh, by the way, you're too fat to be pleasing to the eye in a suit". One is candor, professional courtesy in order to best serve the customer. The other is a snide, unwarranted comment meant to ridicule. What was said to the OP seems to fall in the second category, though it may have been a simple case of foot-in-mouth, whatever the intent.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ranker
What I would do is get off my chair, sign up for a gym membership, and become less fat.

Like someone else said, why bother getting nice clothes if you won't look good in them regardless because you're too fat to see your own 3rd leg.

Hear, hear.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are too young to be that big. You won't live to be old unless you lose some weight.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjHession
This one is for some laughs, as well as some advice. I recently decided I wanted to find a better tailor in my area (30 min north of Philly). I find about this guy Joe Centofani, he seems to be regarded as the best around here on SF, so I go in there and I think it's his daughter who probably about mid 40's, tells me im too young to be this big (im 24 and wear a 48r). I told her that i have lost some weight a few years ago, but have sat where im at for a while now. I was about 350lbs, now around 260. She doesn't take the time to even pin my sleeves at the same length, joe noticed this though and pointed it out to her, then when I was leaving she says (maybe as a joke) i only need to loose 40 more pounds to look good in a suit. Should I go somewhere else or just deal with her comments? Sure I know i'm fat, but i don't need her telling me. Also I want to build a relationship with my tailor, not sure how that will happen with her.

Thoughts?

Why don't you take care of business. Lose a lot of weight as fast as you can. Then go hit on her and take her out and hammer the crap out of her and give her some "man make-up". Then treat her like ****. At that point, it'll be your tailor who decides on whether to carry on the relationship.

BamaBubba

Reaction score
It does not follow that just because something may be true that it is acceptable to say it out loud even though that is insulting, or rude, or gratuitously hurtful. She should not have said what she said, and you should not tolerate it.

I am amused by the replies of those Posters who have recommended that you ignore her insult, or who suggest it was acceptable for her to be rude, or worse, by those who condone her insult and lecture you to lose weight. They must all be thin, tan, tall, wonderful looking guys who have the world by the balls. But, let's try this: change the insult so that they walk in your shoes, and their responses might be different. Imagine the reaction if the following hypothetical comments had been made to any of the Posters whose advice to you about her rudeness is that you should shut up and take it, and lose more weight:

"When you get over being so gaunt and thin, like you are suffering from some disease, that suit will look great on you." or

"If you weren't so short, we could make that suit look acceptable." or

"If you were not so bald and if you had more hair, we could make this suit look really good on you." or

"I'm sorry, no matter how good we make that suit look on you, it is just not going to make you attractive because you are an an incurable asshole."

I say call the tailor, ask him whether or not he wants your business, and if he does then tell him you expect him to take care of you rather than the smart ass. Whether or not you decide to lose more weight should not be guided or influenced by her or any Poster here. Good luck.

PS--Congratulations on losing the 90 lbs. and dropping from 350 to 260 lbs That is a hell of an accomplishment, and something to be proud of.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Why don't you take care of business. Lose a lot of weight as fast as you can. Then go hit on her and take her out and hammer the crap out of her and give her some "man make-up". Then treat her like ****. At that point, it'll be your tailor who decides on whether to carry on the relationship.

From which Flusser book is that?

- B

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Centofanti is famous, but he is mostly doing bespoke. His assistant certainly is rude, as are a number of the posters above. Ugh. I doubt that Centofanti's staff's alterations will be worth being insulted in the shop. I would recommend Rich Chae in center city (15th and Walnut?). Sue's Tailoring in Chestnut Hill (R7 or R8 train and a short walk) also does very good work at a reasonable price. Sue and Peter are extremely nice. PM me if you can't find either one.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This whole story sounds sort of strange. Centofanti is a very respected tailor. Moreover, 48R sounds pretty small for a guy weighing 260 pounds. I mean, I'd be a 48L (if I still bought OTR), and I only weigh about 220-225 pounds.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
This whole story sounds sort of strange. Centofanti is a very respected tailor. Moreover, 48R sounds pretty small for a guy weighing 260 pounds. I mean, I'd be a 48L (if I still bought OTR), and I only weigh about 220-225 pounds.
Well, 220 was my weight at my max. and I'm 6'2" and wore a 43L. Just depends on the person.

mjHession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
You'd prefer your tailor lie to you? Unless you're in the NFL, or are 6'8", you're fat.
Originally Posted by wetnose
The truth hurts. Deal with it, lose the weight and you'll be a better man for it.
Originally Posted by BareSolid
If someone tells you you're fat, get off the ******* internet forum and go to the gym. What's the point in going to the tailor to get nice clothes fitted when you'll look like **** regardless? Two chins are certainly not better than one.
Originally Posted by ranker
What I would do is get off my chair, sign up for a gym membership, and become less fat. Like someone else said, why bother getting nice clothes if you won't look good in them regardless because you're too fat to see your own 3rd leg.
Originally Posted by bluemagic
You are too young to be that big. You won't live to be old unless you lose some weight.
Originally Posted by 83glt
As stated in the first post I appreciate the humor, that's half the reason I posted this. Would like to mention I can see my 3rd leg, i do go to the gym only twice weekly though, and I hike about 10-30 miles weekly (flat trails, length depending on free time for the week). I am in very good health, especially for a man of my size says the doctor, mostly because I was so overweight that in order to loose the weight I did I had to become very active, and I still am, I just a fat active guy. Maybe after next summer on the AT i'll be a little trimmer till then I'm okay with my size, can't run very far very fast, but other then that activity doesn't bother me. I have been posting on WAYWRN for about two weeks now if you must see my size. Thanks for all the laughs above and for the advice form the others.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjHession
I am in very good health, especially for a man of my size says the doctor, mostly because I was so overweight that in order to loose the weight I did I had to become very active, and I still am, I just a fat active guy.

plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads