• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by d-nice
I have never seen JV at Urban Outfitters. Maybe Converse by JV? I think the regular label JV Made in Italy clothing is great quality. I wore a JV tuxedo at my wedding and it was really well made.

Must be Converse then. It is quite awful.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
If you get anything in a pea coat other than authentic military issue, you're, well, less of a man.
Somebody had to say it.

BTW, should we just have a consolidated Peacoat Thread? There seem to be a few that always end up talking about various options. Kind of silly to have multiple ones going.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YES

d-nice

Reaction score
I decided to go with the JV one and I'm going to get it tomorrow when it goes on sale. I will post pictures of the fit later this week. Thanks for the help and comments guys!

Bostonian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
Got my Authentic 36XL in the mail today, but it turned out to be a big disappointment. None of the buttons line up correctly, and the right front is longer than the left. I'm going to email them tomorrow, hopefully it's going to be a relatively pain-free return.

Sizing down two (38" chest, coat size 36) didn't work out at all for me (everything is too tight), but that's a different matter entirely.

I don't know if the sizing down is entirely a different matter. If the jacket doesn't fit properly then it will pull (giving the impression that one side is longer) and the buttons won't line up.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bostonian
I don't know if the sizing down is entirely a different matter. If the jacket doesn't fit properly then it will pull (giving the impression that one side is longer) and the buttons won't line up.
I've measured the length between the buttons with the coat laid flat on a table, so sizing down is an entirely different matter. As a side note, I got a mail from sterlingwear asking me to ship it back for inspection and replacement. I'll post my experiences once the process is complete.

dron10

Reaction score
I just got my coat today and I'm a bit disappointed. The quality of the coat is good, however, the sleeves are just a bit too short (I ordered the 34L). I'm going to return it and get a 34 XL as I need the extra inch in the sleeve. The chest was a good fit, the arms weren't too loose, and I found the arm holes - despite others complaints - to be in a good position (they weren't too high). EDIT: I took a picture so you could see what I was talking about. Do you think the sleeves are too short?
4009477149_3f66d3898f.jpg

HOT Sriracha

Reaction score
Some ordering advice:

Im about a 36 chest size, 5'7, 157 lbs. I want a slim look. Wont be layering much at all since it doesnt get that cold in CA. Should I go with a 34R ir 32R? Thanks.

dron10

Reaction score
I would go with the 34R Sriracha, I also have a 36 inch chest and its slim, but I can fit a sweater on underneath pretty easily. If you really want it to be tight get a 32R. Being that you live in California, I think you would be able to get away with a 32 since you likely won't need to layer.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dron10
I would go with the 34R Sriracha, I also have a 36 inch chest and its slim, but I can fit a sweater on underneath pretty easily. If you really want it to be tight get a 32R. Being that you live in California, I think you would be able to get away with a 32 since you likely won't need to layer.
I have a 33" chest or so (I dunno, I measured between 33 and 34, and my tailor measured between 32 and 33) and wear a 32. I could have slimmed down to 30, but it's silly because I need to be able to wear a sweater, oxford, and vneck under it at the very least for when it's cold... And that's making the 32 almost bulge as is let alone a 30 lol Size down 1 for layer, 2 is probably okay for no layering.

Hollowthorn

Reaction score
I need sizing suggestions:
1) 5'7
2) Usual Suit Size: 38S ~18 inch shoulders
3) 33-34 Chest
4) California - So no need to layer

I am considering getting a 34S...but I'm afraid the shoulders will be too small. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 34S should work fine for you. I have a 34" chest ordered a 32R and it fits great on me.

Xyst

Reaction score
What do y'all think, can I have this tailored to slim up the torso a little?

I'm 6'1, jacket size is between 40-42, waist is 34. I picked up the jacket in a 42L since the arm holes on the 40 were too tight, and the 42 regular sleeves were a bit short. I also went with the 100% wool instead of the 80/20 wool and nylon blend.

4012512042_2c0d1f175c_o.jpg

4012512010_98a06e9cbb_o.jpg

4012525206_a7415187b0_o.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Merged tons of peacoat threads here. If people want a separate place to put pics of their peacoats, the SF Gallery would be a much better place to do that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads