• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This could be construed as an attack on 90% of the forum population:
Originally Posted by dmash1080
I hate to break it to you but ask any female if she'd prefer a stick figure or someone with muscle. I don't know what your opinion of a good physique is...but to me 20" thighs and 14" arms look ridiculous.
Just sayin'.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
This could be construed as an attack on 90% of the forum population:

Just sayin'.

Yes, that was a bad choice of words. I meant to say that in my opinion and most females I know, it isn't physically appealing.

My mistake, I apologize.

Vagran7

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a pair of Uniqlo raw selvedge indigo jeans (slim fit straight). I've tried thier jeans before and my size is about 29. Should I size down one when getting them?

boxdiver

Reaction score
I've heard 7 for All Mankind Jeans are good for guys with "bigger" legs than normal.

Any truth to that?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can a selvedge expert tell me if any of these jeans are selvedge? The top two are Diesel, which I didn't think made selvedge jeans. The bottom picture is of a Levi's Vintage Straight 539 jeans (in beige).
denim.jpg

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first one is basically the same as all of them, it just uses more fabric to give the illusion of selvedge.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
The first one is basically the same as all of them, it just uses more fabric to give the illusion of selvedge.

Help me train my selvedge-spotting eye. I just can't see the difference between say, this random pair, which is cited as selvedge on the message board:

1000dsc0013lv8pp0.jpg

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I repeat:
Notice the lack of any criss-cross stitching (i.e. overlock stitching) at the edges.
Also, the actual selvedge line, which is usually red on white.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I repeat:

Also, the actual selvedge line, which is usually red on white.

Sorry, I didn't see your edited post in time.

I sort of see the difference now.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
hey all. I know someone will rage because i havn't read all 200 pages of this thread yet and i should know better but i just want some quick advice.
Q: i've worn levis always. i get a 30' waist and they fit great when i get them but they strech so much that i need a belt or they dont stay up. after about 6 months i washed them an dthey srunk but streached soon after. i plan on getting a pair of nudies in a week or two. how should i go about waist size as some have recomended getting larger sizes? cheers guys.
regards,
J

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Can a selvedge expert tell me if any of these jeans are selvedge? The top two are Diesel, which I didn't think made selvedge jeans. The bottom picture is of a Levi's Vintage Straight 539 jeans (in beige).
denim.jpg

Selvedge is part of the denim itself. After you look at some selvedge in person you'll be able to tell the difference. Those are serged seams (threads are used to finish the edge), selvedge is part of the weaving process and therefore the denim will transition seamlessly between the twill and the edge
Originally Posted by jrd617
Help me train my selvedge-spotting eye. I just can't see the difference between say, this random pair, which is cited as selvedge on the message board:
1000dsc0013lv8pp0.jpg

Note how the white edge isn't sewn on or anything, if you were to look closer the weft would just blend into the edge. Those Deisels you posted are a prime example of the capitalization of the selvedge craze, a lot of companies are trying to disguise their seams as selvedge or using cheap selvedge to get sales off the trend
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
hey all. I know someone will rage because i havn't read all 200 pages of this thread yet and i should know better but i just want some quick advice. Q: i've worn levis always. i get a 30' waist and they fit great when i get them but they strech so much that i need a belt or they dont stay up. after about 6 months i washed them an dthey srunk but streached soon after. i plan on getting a pair of nudies in a week or two. how should i go about waist size as some have recomended getting larger sizes? cheers guys. regards, J
Take a measurement of your waist (about 2" below your navel) and use that accompanied with the jeans measurements to determine your size. I don't remember the stretching advice for Nudies but you cold run a search or, if you're really lazy, ask Kiya (a retailer of Nudies who will also give you 25% off if you purchase from him), as he will know for certain how to size you (and he has information on his site at selfedge.com)

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
let me clarify when i say levis. im not talking about the ones you get from target or whatever(levis signature?). im not trying to knock target because occasionally i find a decent pick up there. point is that for another 15-20 bucks you can get the "original" levis from a department store. theyre made with better quality materials. plus they have been around for, what, 150 yrs or so? i dont think you can make denim your business for that long and suck at it. you might be able to find more modern cuts with some of the other brands, but levis has a fairly wide array of styles also. id be inclined to say levis would be the best value

Nice. (nicely put--especially the bolded type).
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads