• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MyTailor and TaT comparison

knite

Reaction score
Thanks to SF, I'm hooked on custom clothing. I've purchased a suit and pair of shirts from MyTailor, and a suit from Thick as Thieves. Pictures:
fronts.jpg
sides.jpg
backs.jpg
Edit: I'm pretty sure the right lapel is off because of my cleaners, not due to the suit's construction. All clothing freshly dry cleaned, and worn around the house for a while before photos were taken. The shirt isn't as wrinkled as it looks, and the vest fits straight despite appearances. Feedback on fit appreciated. The TaT suit was made to my MyTailor measurements. Mr. Hemrajani's fit assessment on 2nd visit: no changes to suit, add 1/4 inch to sleeve on shirt. Jantzen is my next stop for shirts. I'm also considering: http://www.marksandspencer-madetomeasure.com/shirt.asp http://moderntailor.com/ http://www.jiodar.com/ http://www.orientaltailors.com/ I would be happy to answer questions regarding any of these pieces, or the experience/process at MyTailor or TaT.

knite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Which suit is from which tailor?

The 3-piece is from MyTailor. TaT only makes 2-piece suits.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you sticking your butt out? Do you normally stand like that or is that pose only for us?

knite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Why are you sticking your butt out? Do you normally stand like that or is that pose only for us?

D'oh. Probably should have set a longer camera timer so I could relax after positioning myself.

knite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
the My Tailor suit fits bad and the fact that he thinks nothing needs to be done to it is even worse.

What would you change?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knite
What would you change?

well, I am no tailor and pics are always hard to really use as a guide but I would say that the vest is to short in the front and fits weird in the back, the back of the jacket does not fit well, the vents sit funny and there is bunching, there is a weird thing going on with your right lapel and there is bunching in your crotch area.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The waist suppression and lapels would be a start. I don't even wear suits, and those jump out at me like a soar thumb.

pdial

Reaction score
Whats with the uneven lapels on the 3 piece?

knite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdial
Whats with the uneven lapels on the 3 piece?

Pretty sure they were pressed unevenly. I'd like to think I would have noticed that myself by now if it were a problem with the construction.
smile.gif

sifl

Reaction score
Both are bad but I agree with edmorel that the My Tailor one is worse and that the fact that it was suggested that it needed no further improvement is downright laughable.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are bad. How is it that the TaT was made based on the MyTailor measurements? The MT's quarters are too short. The lapels are all off.

You took the newly made suits to a cleaner? Why'd you do that for?

Maybe it would fit better if you knew which buttons to button. But I don't know. I think your venture into custom clothing didn't start off very well.

Also, shirts do not come in pairs. You purchased two shirts. You didn't buy a pair of shirts.

a-rock

Reaction score
the quarters on the MyT are too closed. along with the lack of waist suppression, it just accentuates the squareness of the whole thing.

there is just something more elegant looking about the TaT. maybe the texture of the cloth but it could just be lighting and how the pic was taken. the wrinkling and puckering on the front of the MyT make it look like the suit was made of cardboard that's gotten damp.

undo the top button on the TaT and i think it'd look a lot better too. how come there's only 2 buttons on the sleeve?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics