• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ruslev

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willy Nilly
I tried on the Officer Field Pant (chino) recently and was smitten. After looking for a nice chino for less than $100 for a while and coming up empty I am going to bite the bullet on these. I'm not anticipating they go on sale too often. Would love to be straightened out on that.

What is the typical cost of the officer field pant? Thanks

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruslev
What is the typical cost of the officer field pant? Thanks

The tagged price for the officer chino is $185.

Re: the sale comment you replied to, all Ralph Lauren brands are sold for their tagged price per vendor agreements, and all discounts (both amount and timing) are set by RL. This includes RRL. That's why you rarely see them on sale, except during Friends and Family promotions, other set seasonal evetns or at outlet/factory stores (rare for RRL, but not unheard of).

Anyone who understands this differently is free to correct me of course...

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for the ghurka chino in a 32. Any idea where I could get one?

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call Farinelli's. Then call RRL stores. The Polo/RL website has the numbers.

You know these run large yes? 32 measures out at a 34 in the waist.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I thought Farinelli's was out of 32s but I just placed my order.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I wasn't sure, but I just got some too, so it seemed worth the call.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dron10
I just got a pair of RRL Slim Fits from Mauro and I wanted to post some of my initial impressions. I own a pair of Rugby dry jeans and so I'd like to compare the two. I was a little surprised by the weight of the denim, it isn't cheap by any means but it is definitely less heavy than my Rugby jeans. In addition to being lighter they also aren't as stiff as the Rugby pair. For some reason the buttons on the fly also seem a little cheaper than my Rugby pair's buttons. The RRLs are nicer in that they have hidden rivets and the denim is far more slubby. The pockets are also well constructed. The only thing that made them truly worth keeping to me is that they were made in America. I'm glad I purchased them for $160 on the sale as I'm not sure if they're really worth $220. Perhaps my initial impressions will be proved wrong when both pairs start to fade a noticeable amount.
I went by Rubgy today to take a look at their selvage jeans. A couple of observations:
-The Rugbys were made in China (RRL is made in the USA.) That right there is going to be a big difference in a pair of jeans that run $120 vs. $220.
-The Rugby rivets were pretty cheap: plain metal without any stamping.
-The Rugby back patch feels like cheap black leather, especially when compared to that of RRL.
-As far as being heavier or not as stiff, stiffness is just more or less starch (I found them to be about the same) and the weight felt about the same, too, at ~13oz. Maybe your perception is a bit different than mine or we're talking about different pairs but the difference in weight, if any, wasn't like night and day or 8oz. vs 21oz.

The Rugby's looked fine and I wouldn't have trouble recommending them for the price. Purists might care where their jeans are made and prefer the bells and whistles of RRL but it's the added extras and details that make them competitive at that price range.

I updated my folder with shots of the chinos. More after the jump:

dron10

Reaction score
Well Rugby now has a new pair of selvage denim, are you sure you looked at the (older) raw denim ones? The jeans I have have a brown leather patch not a black one, the patch is actually fairly thick on my Rugbys (although it lacks the cool factor of the RRL patch). The jeans I purchased from Rugby were 175 originally and they were on sale for $129 when I purchased them online. The rivets on the fly of my Rugby jeans are stamped, but yes the ones in other locations lack stamping. I know that people don't look very highly upon the quality of Chinese goods but right now I do not notice a significant difference in the jeans construction. I don't think you are making a salient point by simply stating where each pair of jeans was manufactured, there are many different levels of quality, even in Chinese factories. If anything - and this isn't a major issue, just a little thing I noticed - the stitching on my RRLs is a bit loose on one of the seams. I'm not implying that the RRLs are low quality, just that the difference, as you say, isn't "night and day."

I like the RRLs, I'm just not sure if anything - besides their manufacturing location - makes them amazing.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the really nice things about RRLs is that they can be found pretty routinely for $75. The other the subtle things that RRL does. Someone earlier here pointed out that in this thread about a "master denim tailor who worked for years in a very famous denim factory in okayama, the mecca of japanese denim," making a one-off pair of jeans, many of the special things he did show up in RRLs.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RRL Oxfords come in blue/blue stripe/pink/and white only right?

Tcameron

Reaction score
Picked up some RRL slim straights today thanks to the 25% "sale" - overdyed and raw

sexlexcia

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
can anyone reccomend good ebay resellers of RRL? I'm looking for pre distressed denim preferably

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you familiar with "therrshop?" He's a member here too.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
finally getting a chance to put on this RRL heavy flannel shirt i bought [on sale @Barney's] this summer.

RRflanneL.jpg

sexlexcia

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Are you familiar with "therrshop?" He's a member here too.

thanks, he has some good stuff, but i do not see much denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads