• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

somet denim..

shaftoe

Reaction score
Is it only the 008s that have darts on the thighs? What is that like to wear?

filter

Reaction score
want2kop 018's in 28. i'm wearing APC NS in 29 right now, but they stretched too much when i was a ***** last winter. would def wear a 28 in NS now. 5'10", 145lbs. we'll see how the darts work. i do have long legs.

mfais

Reaction score
how does somet denim stretch? and do the 043s have the darts?

skunkworks

Reaction score
They don't stretch much.

Back pocket lining stitching unravelled today on my 005s. Must be cotton thread or something...

slaani

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfais

They'll stretch just enough. Whenever I wash them they are uncomfortably tight for a day, and then they stretch to the perfect size. They don't do the APC thing and stretch an inch everytime you give a tug at your waistline, though.

slaani

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shaftoe
Is it only the 008s that have darts on the thighs? What is that like to wear?

Don't know about the first part, but the darts don't *feel* different. When I take my pants off at night I have a mark down my legs where the darts go, though.

mfais

Reaction score
so advice is to stay tts? or go down 1 and hope they will stretch?

slaani

Reaction score
I did my Dior 19cm size -1. Well, actually, wound up doing my Dior size exactly because I wanted a slightly more relaxed fit (which I got). And I remember the rule of thumb being that your Dior size should be 1 or 2 larger than your APC, so if you've got either of those brands those reference points might be useful.

onlinematt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slaani
I did my Dior 19cm size -1. Well, actually, wound up doing my Dior size exactly because I wanted a slightly more relaxed fit (which I got). And I remember the rule of thumb being that your Dior size should be 1 or 2 larger than your APC, so if you've got either of those brands those reference points might be useful.

This is spot on
+Somet 003 = Dior 19cm - 1 size.
+APC = Dior 19cm - 2 sizes.

Interested to know whether the knee darts on Somet 008s prevent knee bags / knee boobies / knee bulge. Seriously considering putting a small dart in my APC NS... Can anyone with Somet 008s confirm?

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
My Somet 003's (seriously, I will put pics up) aren't even as slim as my KMW 1980's. They are, in my opinion, the perfect jean.

what size are your 003s compared to your 1980s? same tagged size? from the measurements, it looks like the 003s are between a 1980 and 1950?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Expect about 1" in the waist. Moderately little stretch elsewhere (like the Skull 5010, but nothing like APC, Jean Shop, etc.). These won't give you anything extreme. Also, no diaper ass or baggy knees either. great denim.

so advice is to stay tts? or go down 1 and hope they will stretch?

I'm a 31, wear a 30 in most sanforized and STF denim. I got 29s in both Somet and KMW. Go by Context or BiG measured sizes on their size charts. It's accurate.

Originally Posted by scb
what size are your 003s compared to your 1980s? same tagged size? from the measurements, it looks like the 003s are between a 1980 and 1950?

The same. KMW 29s are about 31 pre-soak when new. So are Somet. Expect that to shrink about .5" on both makes when soaked. Beware the ineam shrink on Somet. Can be as much as an inch. KMW was about .25"

Note: the Somet 003 are identical in fit to the 1980s, except for rise, and the Somet have a slightly more fitted, tighter top block to the 1980s (but not much). I've owned both size 30s and 29s in both jeans, and also had the 1950s. Somet are not like the 1950s.

Having worn both, I highly suggest hot soaking both the Somet and KMW before wear. There's little starch in either to lose, it is better for the denim, there's no benefit to not soaking, and soaking tightens up the fit very nicely for both and takes care of the shrinkage (yes - shrinkage). I've tried both ways, so benefit from my learning curve.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received a pair of Somet's on November 2nd...

Here they are, 5 days on. Fits me like a glove, at least I think myself. What do you guys think?

newfront_thumb.jpg

c00kz

Reaction score
Looks good except for that waistband. Are you wearing tucked in or just showing how low they are?

I'm planning on ordering a pair of 003's in a couple days. I usually buy 28's in washed denim when it's a little tight in the fitting room, comfortable for a couple days, but eventually need be laundered so it doesn't get loose on me. So as a noob, I took my "natural" measurement today. A 31?! I feel like I've been lied to for so long.
So my natural waist is 31, I guess. I measured a pair of jeans which feel much too loose now (but freshly cleaned are trim) and they're 15.5 in flat.. Weird. I feel this is the sort of thing that everyone dealt with when getting into raw denim.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shirt is tucked in... That's probably the issue. The whole picture is more decent, but I wanted to show the fit.

I took a 27 in these. It's a relaxed fit, tight, but not skintight, although the parts where my knees are located do hurt sometimes. When I bend my legs the denim cuts into my flesh, haha. Btw, the waist on these are low. So if I wear them higher, which is impossible, your nuts would be suffocated.

I like the low rise btw...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads