• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxnwolf

Reaction score
on the box, 4363 the size is fine, it's already D and i never wear anything wider... it resembles this
2160.jpg

jolla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foxnwolf
on the box, 4363
the size is fine, it's already D and i never wear anything wider...

it resembles this
2160.jpg

That looks like it could be on the Aberdeen, one of Alden's most narrow, I believe. I wouldn't worry too much about what you've worn in the past, unless you are pretty well versed in Alden's lasts and sizing. Could be that the last is just to narrow for you. There won't be a ton in the way of "give" as you break these in, but I'd sure love to hear from someone that felt this in their new shoe and see if it resolved itself over time. Sorry I can't be more help.

foxnwolf

Reaction score
thanks, i'll try the next size wider. it's a beautiful shoe and i really want it to work out for me..

jolla

Reaction score
thanks, i'll try the next size wider. it's a beautiful shoe and i really want it to work out for me..

I'm actually worried that I'll be in the same boat with the aberdeen... Do you have any other Aldens that you can compare your sizing to?

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got a pair of blutcher cordovan shoes. where the leather bends on top when i walk pinches the top of my foot. hurts like hell.. is there another alden cordovan style that won't do this?
Could be that this shoe is too wide rather than too narrow. In any case I have a shoe that did this. I taped a quarter to my foot on the spot where the shoe rubbed and wore it for a half hour or so, walking around the house a little. It seems to have resolved, or at least greatly improved, the issue.

foxnwolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jolla
I'm actually worried that I'll be in the same boat with the aberdeen... Do you have any other Aldens that you can compare your sizing to?

sorry, this is my first alden shoe.

Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Could be that this shoe is too wide rather than too narrow.

In any case I have a shoe that did this. I taped a quarter to my foot on the spot where the shoe rubbed and wore it for a half hour or so, walking around the house a little. It seems to have resolved, or at least greatly improved, the issue.

that's an odd trick. the pinching is worse on the left foot than the right. i actually wanted the boot version but whoa, i couldn't wear them for more than 30 seconds without being in complete pain. not just on the foot but shins. maybe the balmoral version is more forgiving but i dunno..

jolla

Reaction score
sorry, this is my first alden shoe.

that's an odd trick. the pinching is worse on the left foot than the right. i actually wanted the boot version but whoa, i couldn't wear them for more than 30 seconds without being in complete pain. not just on the foot but shins. maybe the balmoral version is more forgiving but i dunno..

Totally an odd trick, but makes perfect sense--thanks for the idea!

Yeah, when I first got my shell chukkas they were murderous around the ankles where the top the boot hit. For a few days when I would sit on the couch watching tv I would gently work that area of the boot around in my hand. Basically, I would just kinda move it back and forth and kind of move the leather in sort of waves to loosen things up. I also kinda grabbed around the top of the boot and softly folded down the rim so it wouldn't dig into my skin. This worked like a charm and made the boots MUCH more comfortable.

foxnwolf

Reaction score
i cannot wear chukkas of any kind for that same reason of ankle rubbing..
even on the sofest leather, it will slowly work itself into the bone...

Tripleterror

Reaction score
Having been a new convert to Alden Shell Cordovan shoes I have a question about the 'welts' that appear on shell cordovan footwear after getting wet.
As I live in the UK and experience rain rather alot I have noticed that my shoes do show these 'welts' and although they do recede when the shoes dry they never completely disappear.
I have read on the Alden of Carmel site that these welts are completely normal.
Is there a process where they can be removed ?
I am reluctant to polish the shoes as just about everything I have read tell me not to.
I do have a pair of Crockett & Jones cordovan shoes that also display these welts but I must admit that their cordovan lacks the rich luster of Alden cordovan and therefore the welts are not as noticable.
Do I just live the welts and enjoy the shoes?
Thanks

foxnwolf

Reaction score
oh, the remedy to my shoe pinching problem was placing a toungue pad between the leather and the top of my foot. until the shoe breaks in, this is only temporary...

nice.

jolla

Reaction score
oh, the remedy to my shoe pinching problem was placing a toungue pad between the leather and the top of my foot. until the shoe breaks in, this is only temporary...

nice.

You've done this in the past or you're now trying it with the Alden's? Hope it works out for you--please keep us posted.

Indigo_phobia

Reaction score
Anybody already got Alden Context Roy boots?
Could you please give fit pics.....
many thanks in advance : )

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look back a few pages, there are a couple people who have posted fit pics of the Roy already.

foxnwolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jolla
You've done this in the past or you're now trying it with the Alden's? Hope it works out for you--please keep us posted.

it should be something you can get at any shoe repair store. i have never used this on any previous shoe before..

regarding your problem with softening the leather on the top of chukkas or boots, you can take the curved back of a metal shoe horn and work it against the high-top leather so it becomes soft. i was told this but have not tried..

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been going through the thread trying to find a worn in picture of Kudu ultimate and regular ultimate Indy's....I couldn't find any except for Adrian's that weren't really 'worn in'.

Any help?

Also, do we get any type of discount at leather soul? and what kind of exchange policy do they have? No Alden store around me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads