• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What watch do you wear?

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
'High End' to me is definitely $2500+.....I consider something like an Omega Seamaster a daily beater....

This is not due to me being rich or anything of that matter, I believe most watch enthusiasts would be along the same lines.

Maybe SOME enthusiasts but not MOST would believe that a Seamaster is a beater

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Seamaster is definitely a sporty, everyday watch. It has a diving bezel! I mean a seamaster CAN be dressed up.....but I have never known anyone to consider a Seamaster his go to watch for formal occasions.

What do you consider a Seamaster?

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends a lot upon what you can afford and what type of person you are. If you can easily afford $8k+ watches then a SMP is probably a beater type watch. If you can barely afford a SMP then for many it will be their nice watch that they take care of very well and treat as nicely as they can.

I pretty much treat mine as a beater, not out of disrespect for the watch but because I believe it can take it and I need a watch I don't have to worry about. Right now I couldn't afford to buy this watch again, but that doesn't stop me from using it hard. I don't think that it really qualifies as a true "beater" to most watch enthusiasts though. That is the place the Seiko Monsters and 007s, Sandoz, etc.

Then again when I say most watch enthusiasts I'm talking about your average wearers....not many of which are wearing a Patek for dress and picking up their old Omega or Rolex as a beater.

KBW

Reaction score
A Seamaster is definitely a sporty, everyday watch. It has a diving bezel! I mean a seamaster CAN be dressed up.....but I have never known anyone to consider a Seamaster his go to watch for formal occasions.

What do you consider a Seamaster?

I don't equate sport watches as "beaters"...sure some are but not all. Several examples of beaters I own include Seiko Sumo, Seiko Monster, Seiko military, several g-shocks etc. Price doesn't equate whether or not it is a beater as some of my cheaper watches are my favorites. It is all personal opinion that's why I said that sure some consider it a beater but far from most. Beaters to me are watches that you could care less if you destroy it. I'd care if I destroyed my seamaster

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
I don't equate sport watches as "beaters"...sure some are but not all. Several examples of beaters I own include Seiko Sumo, Seiko Monster, Seiko military, several g-shocks etc. Price doesn't equate whether or not it is a beater as some of my cheaper watches are my favorites. It is all personal opinion that's why I said that sure some consider it a beater but far from most. Beaters to me are watches that you could care less if you destroy it. I'd care if I destroyed my seamaster

Oh ok, well we see differently....a 'Beater' to me is a watch you sport the majority of the week, every week.

apolune

Reaction score
I alternate between these for work. They are both over 120 years old.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apolune
I alternate between these for work. They are both over 120 years old.

That's pretty awesome...120 years...wow.

spencers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by centrix
not to be an asshole but isnt tissot a low budget automatic daily beater watch? for super low budget, i guess you cant go wrong with a seiko
It's only a $300 watch. And a quartz. I used to have one.
Originally Posted by steviecakes
if you don't mind me asking, how much did the mods cost you? i've been looking for an affordable military watch, and that seiko looks so clean i may have to copy it to the bone. i normally hate replicating items exactly as i see them on others, but that watch is perfect to me
inlove.gif

Search the watchuseek forums for a fella named Yobokies. Show him the picture I posted and tell him you want exactly that. He'll give you a price. BTW, he's in Hong Kong so it takes a couple of weeks to arrive. I didn't incur any customs fees either.
smile.gif

centrix

Reaction score

best statement yet

funny enough, my beater is my rolex dssd
and my formal is my rolex milgauss gv...

which are actually pretty similar in price when my dad bought them. i borrow his watches as i really dont work at all, and probably couldnt afford even a timex if i didnt have any family support (for the moment) (yes im a spoilt brat i guess)

ONE DAY I WILL GET TO WEAR THE PATEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaftoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by centrix
best statement yet

funny enough, my beater is my rolex dssd
and my formal is my rolex milgauss gv...

which are actually pretty similar in price when my dad bought them. i borrow his watches as i really dont work at all, and probably couldnt afford even a timex if i didnt have any family support (for the moment) (yes im a spoilt brat i guess)

ONE DAY I WILL GET TO WEAR THE PATEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you like the Milgauss? How noticeable is the green tint on the crystal?

mattah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajchen
There are so few Sinn owners in real life... I'm surprised to see two in the first 3 pages of this thread. Here is my daily wearer, a Sinn 656s on rubber strap:
Sup Sinn 656B wearing buddy!
Sinn-3.jpg
Sinn-4.jpg
Beater!

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really think I'm going to pick up the Stowa Airman no logo.....

I love these German watches...I don't know why I never looked into them before. So clean, so plain, yet so sophisticated.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Saw some nice Seiko and Swiss Army "military-inspired" timepieces in the pawn shop this weekend. Cheapest was around 130 bucks. Very nice.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about a seiko from the PSA thread, but I think I'll get this Tissot PR50:

2npv8i.jpg

Also like the Tissot La Locle, but I have no need for a watch over $500 (preferably less), let alone over a grand. The PR50 is only $325 ($300 some places) and has a good waranty.

I'd rather have a bunch of decent watches rather than one or two lux ones (I have a low threshold for defining lux when it comes to watches).

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some people are associating beaters with casual watches.

beaters are cheap. rolexes are casual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics