• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oversized watch

xudisco07

Reaction score
If you are going to buy an expensive watch, buy one you can keep for a long time. Would you really see yourself wearing that watch in 5 years? I'd say, if you want a larger watch, get a Panerai.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
puke.jpg

SJTrance

Reaction score
Why not look into something like the Panerai 114 that is quite big at 44mm but also with a strap that you can get aftermarket custom made in whatever color you choose. You can really dress it up or dress it down.

pam114cord1.jpg

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gin8u
I'm fairly young and I'm starting to buy dressier clothes, since my job requires it. However, I'm a big fan of large watches and I've been seeking (a white) one for quite some time… one that will break my bank. My question… I rarely see unconventional oversized (51mm) watches paired with a suit, they tend to be smaller, classier, and a bit more discreet. Will the white oversized one look odd and/or out-of-proportion? Here is what I've been looking at: http://www.peepculture.com/wp-conten...1-30_watch.jpg your thoughts?
I hold my hands up here – I own the stainless steel version of that watch. Yes, it's not only massively wide, but also some 12mm deep. It's too big to go with most outfits, and out of the question for formal ones, but I tend to wear it on mine or my families boats and it's perfect. I'm a big fan of Nixon watches and have another four. They are reasonably priced, some have Swiss movements (such as the 51:30) and they are not all gimmicky.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume that watch costs a couple hundred bucks?

You will tire of that watch in weeks if not months. As well it is totally inappropriate for wear with a suit. It is gaudy and wearing it among adults and professionals will guarantee you're seen as "the kid." I would also be surprised if it isn't manufactured in China from crap parts. The only person I know who had a Nixon watch had to return it within months when it broke.

Caomhanach

Reaction score
I receive a TEEVEE channel devoted to niche markets. One sells gemstones. The non verbal spiel consists of flicking a stone in tweezers to make it flash, though only diamonds are supposed to diffuse light. The second show sells chinese knives of 440C steel in fancy bowie patterns. Their non verbal spiel is to----Flash the polished blade in studio light and then stab it into a piece of driftwood. Sometimes the knife actually sticks in place. The third show sells oversized watches.Their non verbal spiel--- anyone care to guess?

gin8u

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
To me, that white watch is marketed for the millionaire who has already amassed a decent collection of AP, JLC, Patek, and Omegas etc.

You state 3 things that stand out. One, you are fairly young, and two, a white watch, and three, an oversized one. You will likely look back years from now and think why you didn't get a more sensible watch back then. All of these, however, hangs on whether you are being paid very well now or very likely in the future. If so, go ahead and splurge.

This is by far, one of the best answers.

I looked back on some of the photos that were taken 3-5 years and i'm embarassed. I wouldn't want that to reoccur in a few years, especially when i'm dropping a couple of grand on a watch.

gin8u

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
What's your total budget?

what im willing to spend now is in the ball park range of 2,000. Which is probably why IWC watches are a bit out of my price range.

Chim12

Reaction score
The watch looks like something Flavor Flav would wear. If you want big go for the PAM111

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Depending on the crowds you hang out with and the restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. that you frequent, it could be fun as an ironic/avant-garde piece to go with a more monochromatic look, or it could be one of those quirky character pieces.

One of my former colleagues would wear a giantass U-Boat as his everyday watch and would walk around with only his left cuff rolled up a bit to accommodate it. But he is a South African former commando with attitude to match, and that means that he, like a round and portly man, can get away with anything.

I personally wouldn't spend thousands on that thing, though. I find the white particularly gross.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what im willing to spend now is in the ball park range of 2,000. Which is probably why IWC watches are a bit out of my price range.

Check out Oris and Hamilton. Their entire lines are under $2k. Also, you might do well with the Omega Railmaster XL: http://www.authenticwatches.com/omseaqtera28.html. I have no experience with that retailer, but I'm sure you can find a brand new one, probably from an AD for $2k. A Bell & Ross at that price will be harder, but there may be a few available.

emakris

Reaction score
I'm fairly young and I'm starting to buy dressier clothes, since my job requires it. However, I'm a big fan of large watches and I've been seeking (a white) one for quite some time... one that will break my bank.

My question... I rarely see unconventional oversized (51mm) watches paired with a suit, they tend to be smaller, classier, and a bit more discreet. Will the white oversized one look odd and/or out-of-proportion?

Here is what I've been looking at: http://www.peepculture.com/wp-conten...1-30_watch.jpg

your thoughts?

If I was on the market for a good all-white watch then I would look no further than the Chanel J12. The J12 is kinda pretty cool and, more importantly, made by Audemars Piguet. I reckon it will look pretty good with a suit as well as on sporty occasions.

Star

Reaction score

If your budget is 2K and ideally you would want an IWC in the medium to long run, then buy something that looks like what your after for the cheapest price possible (disregard brand) and save the rest for the start of an IWC watch fund.

You will eventually get an IWC I am quite sure so why blow 2K now and then +2K in the future for the watch you really want??

gin8u

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emakris
If I was on the market for a good all-white watch then I would look no further than the Chanel J12. The J12 is kinda pretty cool and, more importantly, made by Audemars Piguet. I reckon it will look pretty good with a suit as well as on sporty occasions.
I saw it in-store the other day. It looked a lot like a woman's watch to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads