• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about going on a 'fast'..

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
isnt calories same as any calories? my point is, that the muffin with its 400 calories will keep me sated longer than a 400 calorie salad
Calories are not calories. As long as you keep the added fats out you can eat as much salad and steamed vegetables as you want. Not only does it provide a lot of fiber which gives you a sense of being full, but those leafy greens are DENSE in micronutrients. Those micronutrients will regulate your appetite naturally because you'll be getting the nutrients you need. When you eat refined foods like muffins you get no micronutrients and therefore your body keeps looking for what it needs. If you are doing some sort of a modified fast, just eat a huge salad with fat free dressing once a day, and as much steamed veggies as you want and a tiny (2-4oz) amount of broiled chicken. Later, add in legumes, nuts and seeds, fruits, and sparing amounts of meat, dairy and oil.

Star

Reaction score
If you do actually get to a point where aren't easting those croissants and do become calorie deficient, you will need to keep in mind the effects the fast may have on your state of mind. You won't go nuts but you may find that you become a little moody, grumpier and or even slightly depressed. Doesen't happen to everyone but worth keeping a note of so you are aware of it and you can psych yourself accordingly.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
Calories are not calories. As long as you keep the added fats out you can eat as much salad and steamed vegetables as you want. Not only does it provide a lot of fiber which gives you a sense of being full, but those leafy greens are DENSE in micronutrients. Those micronutrients will regulate your appetite naturally because you'll be getting the nutrients you need. When you eat refined foods like muffins you get no micronutrients and therefore your body keeps looking for what it needs. If you are doing some sort of a modified fast, just eat a huge salad with fat free dressing once a day, and as much steamed veggies as you want and a tiny (2-4oz) amount of broiled chicken. Later, add in legumes, nuts and seeds, fruits, and sparing amounts of meat, dairy and oil.

Basically, ignore this entire post because it's nonsense.

freude

Reaction score
long fast => boredom + huge meal = worse off than before... got me more than once.
how does this become nonsense please explain i am being serious
because: calories are actually calories, there is a limit to how much vegetables you should eat, fiber doesn't give you a "sense of being full", a multivitamin has as many "micronutrients" as you will ever need and you still get hungry after taking it, i.e. your body doesn't "look for what it needs" by signaling hunger when it lacks nutrients. and he throws a bunch of cliche diet options around at the end that no one really follows. In other words, I lol'd. What you said in your OP is fine. It's what I have been following for a year and I manage. What I mean to say is I fast intermittently with a similar game plan.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freude
long fast => boredom + huge meal = worse off than before... got me more than once.

because: calories are actually calories, there is a limit to how much vegetables you should eat, fiber doesn't give you a "sense of being full", a multivitamin has as many "micronutrients" as you will ever need and you still get hungry after taking it, i.e. your body doesn't "look for what it needs" by signaling hunger when it lacks nutrients. and he throws a bunch of cliche diet options around at the end that no one really follows. In other words, I lol'd.

What you said in your OP is fine. It's what I have been following for a year and I manage. What I mean to say is I fast intermittently with a similar game plan.

trust me ive been there before.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

because: calories are actually calories, there is a limit to how much vegetables you should eat, fiber doesn't give you a "sense of being full", a multivitamin has as many "micronutrients" as you will ever need and you still get hungry after taking it, i.e. your body doesn't "look for what it needs" by signaling hunger when it lacks nutrients. and he throws a bunch of cliche diet options around at the end that no one really follows. In other words, I lol'd.

What you said in your OP is fine. It's what I have been following for a year and I manage. What I mean to say is I fast intermittently with a similar game plan.

1)Calories are not equal: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa16.htm

2) And what is that limit?

3)Fiber makes you full:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/NU00195

I'll give you the last point- nobody really follows **** which is why most guys my age have a 38" waist.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Havent done a fast before, not for religious reasons, but basically to see if i can achieve a weight loss accomplishment by thanksgiving.

At max I will only eat upwards of 1000 calories a day, what sort of things i should look out for and what advice can anyone give me for this? I started today.

1) i will be taking multivitamins/fish oil, etc daily
2) will watch my calcium intake, make sure i get enough. will drink a cup of milk daily and some cheese (kraft singles. each one has 20% daily reccomendation of calcium)
3) will be drinking two cups of coffee daily one in the morning and once before i go home. this helps in appetite suppression for me out of anything else i tried. also gives me the boost to have the energy to work out after work.

Forget all that crap.

The best way is to have a high enzyme diet. l wouldn't start off with a fast, i'd just start eating better whole foods from the plant world.

The best way to avoid hunger is to mill/grind some organic seseme, flax and sunflower seeds, these foods WILL fill you. The high levels of fat splittng enzymes will also help get the weight off.

Start by doing what l told you above.

Now, you MUST also include greens in the diet, especially alfalfa and wheatgrass juices. Eating alfalfa grass will also do wonders for you. Those three foods are the most powerful nutritious foods on the planet, you will not do better than those.

After you have included many of those foods in you main eating plan, then you will be in a better position to fast. Never fast on water alone, always include a green juice to protect you from pollution and radiation. lf the fast gets too hard, try eating watermellon and fruit (not sweet fruits) to curve off the nausea and hunger.

The greatest pleasures l have ever had have been from fasting. A 10 day fast is my favourite times of being, no greater pleasure, everything is wonderful.

Larry Lean

Reaction score

because: calories are actually calories, there is a limit to how much vegetables you should eat, fiber doesn't give you a "sense of being full",

Correct.

a multivitamin has as many "micronutrients" as you will ever need and you still get hungry after taking it, i.e. your body doesn't "look for what it needs" by signaling hunger when it lacks nutrients.
lncorrect.

jpb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969

The vitamins are fat soluble, throw some olive oil on your salad. Eat your vegetables with roast or grilled meat or fish. Use plenty of spices, you will never get into the habit of eating properly if your food doesn't taste good.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered increasing the amount of calories you burn instead of decreasing the amount of calories you take in?

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
Have you considered increasing the amount of calories you burn instead of decreasing the amount of calories you take in?

This. The idea of unnecessarily fasting sounds very uncomfortable...

Why not do a series of sprints or 3 mile run? You get the double benefit of weight loss plus an increased fitness level.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads