• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pokey-

what about a different peacoat? i.e. one that hits at the waist

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
None of those bridge the casual-formal gap--all of those are easily casual. For that, you'd need some boots or something.

Originally Posted by poissa
Master-Classter,
None of those shoes are proper for the winter in a snowy area.

Originally Posted by Rosenberg
master-classter:
all nice choices but pretty casual. on a 1-100 scale the all black might move up a couple of points compared to a multi color shoe. a low profile boot might do the trick also. lots of boots on sf arent exactly low profile, but there are plenty available. only issue with them might be price.

K, thanks guys.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
This, maybe? This is slightly different from J.Crew (more utility-like). Sorry, winter coats aren't my strong suit...
Thanks anyway. I like the first one. I mean I like the second one too, but out of my price range :-/
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
pokey- what about a different peacoat? i.e. one that hits at the waist
That is a possibility. A cropped pea coat? I do like this http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=97 But the guy looks like a tool, so it's hard for me to gauge if I would look just as bad in it lol.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
Thanks anyway. I like the first one. I mean I like the second one too, but out of my price range :-/

That is a possibility. A cropped pea coat? I do like this

http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=97

But the guy looks like a tool, so it's hard for me to gauge if I would look just as bad in it lol.

i think youll be ok al long as everything else didnt come from express also

steviecakes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
What I need is a pair of shoes that bridges the gap between casual (Chucks) and formal (Allen Edmonds)... Edit - basically, something I can wear with khakies, sort of like boat shoes but not for summer...
I'm looking for plain black that just flies under the radar. I have difficult to fit feet, want to spend under $100, and live in a snowy country...

how about a pair of zig zags?

factorial

Reaction score
I want a casual, lace-up boot for the winter, so I’m thinking a combat boot. Here are my requirements:
  • Rubber sole (pref. commando sole or lug sole) – going to be walking through snow, ice, and salt
  • Medium to dark brown or burgundy leather – want something that goes with anything, don’t want suede due to above
  • Plain or cap toe (no moc toes) – prefer a more elegant/streamlined look
  • Reasonable price (under $400) and good value
Here are the boots I’ve looked at:
What else should I be looking at? Any thoughts on the above? (I’m familiar with the RW GT thread and the Wolverine 1000 mile collection thread.) Thanks in advance.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ i really like my 1000 mile boots. the only other boots on your list i would personally be interested in are the indys and roys

Babaloo

Reaction score
Looking for a really nice slim leather bomber jacket - surface 2 air and apc had some great ones last year around this time, but can't really find anything this season. Any suggestions? Thanks!

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been repeating myself a lot about leather here, but for a slim-fitting leather bomber you should consider ToJ (Temple of Jawnz). See their thread.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i hate basically all the shoes i have that aren't canvas sneakers.

So I suppose some might say, 'so just wear canvas sneakers'. Wearing just canvas sneakers would be an okay solution if I still lived in Texas or Oklahoma or somewhere without any sort of actual winter. The problem is Nebraska has winter, and we skipped fall and went straight into winter this year. The past saturday reminded me that I still need boots, or shoes that will keep my feet warm and dry and are also comfortable.

Also, if I am going to spend money at this point in my life i'd like it to be something i can wear the hell out of and not care about [like white t-shirts] or something I can care alot about and still wear the hell out of [like a really nice pair of boots].

My problem is that while I want boots I like for things I buy to work well with a lot of different outfits, and maybe if possible work well in multiple seasons. And since I need something sort of dressy and sort of casual boots seemed like the right choice. But i like loafers as well, and boat shoes and had sort of been wanting eying some kind of loafer or a moccasin of some kind.

So if i could I'd buy a pair of boots, and a pair of loafers/mocs I would.

But then i thought 'I should just get chukka's''. Then i'd have a sort of boot, and it would be kind of like a boat shoe/moccasin too.
And if I'd been on my toes i could have gotten a really nice pair of the sperry chukkas on GILT. But I missed out.

So I thought, ''how about vans chukkas?''

I really just don't know. they come in suede, but would that keep my foot warm AND dry?

I could come up with 60 dollars easier than the 100+ a pair of boots would cost, and decent loafers or even the ll bean mocs are atleast 80. I Already have a pair of desert boots, and they just don't seem to keep my feet warm. i suppose these chukkas might be the same, but it seems like the lining and stuff would keep my feet warm.

I just don't know.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

ROBBIE

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ robbie i have no answer to your question (sorry) but i'm really, really pulling for the Sooners this wknd. please beat the Longhorns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads