• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any secrets for decreasing length of common cold?

sifl

Reaction score
Wear some good quality and warm stockings.

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
People have mentioned zinc in passing, but that's my number 1, it's seriously like magic. 50mg zinc glutamate tablets are pretty cheap, so buy a bottle and keep them around (only take with food or right before bed, zinc can cause stomach pains). Vitamins in general and C in particular are also important, as is sleep. And, if you start treating as soon as your nose gets just a bit runny or your throat a little scratchy (even if you think you're not getting sick) you will very rarely get a full blown illness.

blackjack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
One thing I'll add that hasn't been mentioned is ginger. Slice up some fresh ginger root and make tea from it.
Definitely! Fresh - and not from a tube. I'll even chew raw chunks of it every few hours. Sleep is also really important but it's hard to apply if you have a full schedule. Yesterday, I was feeling a bit ragged - and my spidey-sense hit me. There was no fever, runny nose, sniffles, cough, sneezing or sore throat ... however, I could sense there was something coming along. A bit of a scratchy throat and a touch of something in my sinuses.... I went home early, washed up, gargled, popped the Vitamin C tabs and ginger, took two sleeping tabs and had a long deep sleep. If I had done what I usually did in the past -- try to suck it up and go out for my usual after work drinks etc., I am certain I would be in the early stages of a flu right now. Also, despite the fact that many people swear by alcoholic hot toddys (eg with rum or whiskey), I believe the research clearly indicates that alcohol will lower your immune system, not strengthen it. Use it to disinfect your hands and surfaces instead...

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
One thing I'll add that hasn't been mentioned is ginger. Slice up some fresh ginger root and make tea from it.

Ginger. Ginger. Ginger.

slaani

Reaction score
Caloric surplus, lots of water, lots of rest. No, you can't cheat your body out of these things, take some Vitamin C, and heal in a day. It is highly unlikely you are at a deficit for any vitamins or will experience any benefit from taking them. There are no secrets, and most of the advice here is ridiculous. Don't buy supplements or otherwise support the pseudoscience industry like some of these fools.

To the people who think "sweating the cold out" is something other than completely ridiculous: feel free to do this **** to yourself, but please don't risk the health of your young kids.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno about literally sweating, but wouldn't being wrapped up in blankets/staying warm allocate more energy to the immune system? I have no authority on the matter, just trying to understand the reasoning.

gogetadbl

Reaction score
Zinc lozenges like coldeeze seem to shorten the time if you do it early enough

killua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
I dunno about literally sweating, but wouldn't being wrapped up in blankets/staying warm allocate more energy to the immune system? I have no authority on the matter, just trying to understand the reasoning.

It's about raising your body temperate to kill off bacteria.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been taking pro-biotics (good bacteria) over the past year to treat something else but I haven't gotten a cold since and i usually get atleast 2 colds a year, not even a sore-throat, nothing!

ALLCAPS

Reaction score
Well, short of some sort of antiviral you're not going to shorten the length of your cold. You will be able to lessen the symptoms, allowing you to go to work or just be up and about feeling better. Spicy food will unblock your nose a bit, and sitting in a hot bath and inhaling the steam will loosen them up great. Make sure to get loads ot sleep to compensate for the tiredness you'll be experiencing, and eat well so you don't feel weak. Keep hydrated and do a little exercise if you can so you don't get fatigued.

I know this all seems pretty obvious but if there was an easy way out it'd be common knowledge by now
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics