• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unbuttoned button down shirt & hands in pockets?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think foof started this trend, no?
confused.gif

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
To people who complain about putting hands in the jacket pocket, have you ever tried?
It's pretty comfy, and I find I feel very nonchalant and chilled doing it. I wouldn't do it with my dj or a "smart" suit, but with a more casual jacket I am a big fan, and I don't see what is objectionable about it.

I think it looks very awkward. The angle and placement of the pockets really isn't right for accepting a hand on the end of a relaxed arm. I've tried it and it feels as awkward as it looks. Plus I'm sure they will become misshapen before too long.

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corniche
I button down shirts, but even most unbuttoned-
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Meant to indicate nonchalance and show an indifference to their expensive and carefully coordinated clothing.

I can see why people object, but I find the conceit more appealing than the uncomfortable awkwardness you see from guys trying to baby their nice clothes. They look like they're being held hostage by their suits.

A few flaws, intentional or not, are better than creepy perfection, or failed attempts at perfection.

I think this is a measured, calculated way of showing nonchalance, and I don't care for it. I really don't care for the unbuttoned collar.

As for the pockets, I don't care whether they're opened or not, but for those that use them, what do you put in the pockets of your suit jacket? I've never felt the need to use them.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meant to indicate nonchalance and show an indifference to their expensive and carefully coordinated clothing.

I can see why people object, but I find the conceit more appealing than the uncomfortable awkwardness you see from guys trying to baby their nice clothes. They look like they're being held hostage by their suits.
A few flaws, intentional or not, are better than creepy perfection, or failed attempts at perfection.

I unstitch mine. Clothing looks better worn in and well loved. Why should I want to go somewhere looking like I bought an outfit for the purpose?
As for the small details: I used to be anal about 'em, but now I'm not. Personally, I think it's a change for the better.

Doc,

I completely agree. The one exception I keep getting hung-up on, though, is shiny wool. I'll admit that I do a few things (like taking my jacket off at my desk and trying to avoid sliding around on slick seats) to try to itigate the shine that develops on worsted. I'm sure your worsteds shine, too. Do you just not care and chalk the shine up to patina and love as well?

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Doc,

I completely agree. The one exception I keep getting hung-up on, though, is shiny wool. I'll admit that I do a few things (like taking my jacket off at my desk and trying to avoid sliding around on slick seats) to try to itigate the shine that develops on worsted. I'm sure your worsteds shine, too. Do you just not care and chalk the shine up to patina and love as well?

We get it; you don't like shine.
musicboohoo[1].gif

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shove my hands and other things in my pockets all the time. I simply don't care and find them much easier to gain access to then my interior pockets. In fact, nearly all of my coat pockets have smaller pockets sewn into the lining, like below. Why the hell else would they make coat pockets like this, if they were not intended to be used?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
We get it; you don't like shine.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Yes, I know, I'm sorry for always posting about it too. I just wish I could get some more info on the ways that others tackle the issue (stave it off, throw away shiny garments, etc.). I'll ease up if I can get some more info.

sifl

Reaction score
Have more suits in your rotation. Buy better cloths.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Yes, I know, I'm sorry for always posting about it too. I just wish I could get some more info on the ways that others tackle the issue (stave it off, throw away shiny garments, etc.). I'll ease up if I can get some more info.

What possible info do you want? Buy better quality fabrics. Deal with the fact that items that get worn get, well, worn.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn

Not a clue why you'd unsew the pockets on a suit jacket. Maybe some guys like looking like they have fat, poofy hips.

Originally Posted by benjamin831
Perhaps they put their hands in their pocket to indicate that their jackets are made to measure.

Personally, I don't bother to unsew RTW jackets. However, I do make use of MTM jacket pockets.

Originally Posted by benjamin831
Do you understand how making RTW cuffs functional by cutting out buttonholes may be an attempt to show that the jacket is MTM?

Is this for real or meant to be sarcastic? Why would you keep your jacket pockets sewn shut??? You think they are intended to stay sewn shut?

sifl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Is this for real or meant to be sarcastic? Why would you keep your jacket pockets sewn shut??? You think they are intended to stay sewn shut?

It is a bit unsettling indeed if not a joke.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tres profound, Monsier le Doctor! Comme Voltaire a dit, "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien"
sly.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads