• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-piece suit to business meeting?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sifl
Mostly magazine spreads, professions that are not business related (e.g. academia), formal but not black-tie evenings, more fashion-forward or trendy business professions. The days three-piece suits were conservative business dress are very long gone. They are now more trendy than conservative.

I must be living on some different planet than you. While there may be a trend toward the three piece suit right now (and I'd argue it's actually about the vest itself, worn however) there's a huge difference between a man in a conservative three-piece suit and a man in a fashion-forward suit of any kind.

b

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Mostly magazine spreads, professions that are not business related (e.g. academia), formal but not black-tie evenings, more fashion-forward or trendy business professions. The days three-piece suits were conservative business dress are very long gone. They are now more trendy than conservative.

i see it this way too.
looks ostentatious on younger fellows, and looks like old money on older guys

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't think it's appropriate in most professions. Especially if the meeting involves a client, I would consider a three-piece suit as too ostentatious.

As much as I like the slickness of the three-piece, I tend to agree. However, all that really matters is this: Can you pull it off and does it make you feel confident? It also depends on the meeting...are you going in as the hired gun/ expert? Then I say, let 'er rip. But if you are going in to try to get a company's business, then you probably want to be more subdued.

BareSolid

Reaction score
I don't know how it is in the US, but in England it is not considered 'fashion forward' to wear a regular fitting three-piece suit. In fact, such things conjure up images of Winston Churchill and Albert Pierrepoint (though I believe Churchill wore black lounge).

Gent

Reaction score
I've actually been debating having my very first 3-piece suit made for the winter. If for nothing else, for the extra warmth. I work in a very conservative branch, but I'm fairly sure I can pull it off without looking a) fashion forward, or b) ostentatious. However, I'm thinking I'll go for a very classic darkish grey, which will probably never look over the top.

One interesting thing, really, is how a tree-piece suit really limits one's choices of lining. I am of the impression (do correct me if I'm wrong) that the back of the waistcoat tends to be in the same material as the lining of the suit. This would make flashy colours one might otherwise consider, such as red, for example, utterly ridiculous, if one ever wishes to take the jacket off.

Thoughts on this?

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent
I've actually been debating having my very first 3-piece suit made for the winter. If for nothing else, for the extra warmth. I work in a very conservative branch, but I'm fairly sure I can pull it off without looking a) fashion forward, or b) ostentatious. However, I'm thinking I'll go for a very classic darkish grey, which will probably never look over the top.

One interesting thing, really, is how a tree-piece suit really limits one's choices of lining. I am of the impression (do correct me if I'm wrong) that the back of the waistcoat tends to be in the same material as the lining of the suit. This would make flashy colours one might otherwise consider, such as red, for example, utterly ridiculous, if one ever wishes to take the jacket off.

Thoughts on this?

Don't take the jacket off.

Gent

Reaction score
Long days at the office, I'm rather inclined to take it off more often than not. Meetings or whatnot and it stays on.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on how you carry it off and the type of meeting you will be attending. An investment banking group in NYC during fall/winter -- perfect. A new media/internet brainstorming session in San Francisco -- not the best choice. Being comfortable in whatever you wear will make it work.

Twotone

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear them all the time. I am usually the youngest, but the most senior, person in the meetings from my company. I wear them because I can.

I think that they are great to wear in business settings, but it really depends on if you, as a person, and you as a position, can pull it off.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the look is biglaw sr partner. better on 'less bulky' types...

T-Lama

Reaction score
I like them. If Ari Gold can pull them off, so can you.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear them most of the time, and am not usualy the only one who dose so I don't think it's that big of a deal. I suppose it could be considered pertentious in some work environments, it could also depend on your status with the company. I am head of an entire division of the company where I work so I can go all out if I want where as someone under might not want to, even though I wouldn't personaly discourage it.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
Only if you work at Sterling Cooper and your name is Roger Sterling.
Or Ari Gold:
MV5BMTY3OTg5MzgwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTAxMDg1MQ@@._V1._SX485_SY323_.jpg

BareSolid

Reaction score
I suppose you could look like a ponce if you have a paisley handkerchief in your pocket and a sterling watch chain across your torso and a tie pin.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I had one, I'd wear it in business settings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics