• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If your wardrobe is too large, you end up looking worse.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sifl
You still have a little bit left on the side of your mouth. slurp slurp

If you were well read here you'd know why I am one of the last at whom you should direct that criticism.

(so stop jerking off on my picture)
teacha.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Mr Vox, your exposÃ
00a9.png
and illustrations would be certainly convincing if they were not so blatantly biased and carefully picked to favor your theories.

Among widely known examples, do you think that Luciano Barbera and Luca Rubinacci are bad ones? (BTW, I would guess both guys have large wardrobes, getting back to the other notion in this thread.)

Let's do some more sprezz, shall we?

Over the top lived in sprezz is very French...even more so than the Italians. Sprezz is not really Anglo-Atlantic. Here's Jean Cocteau:

jean_cocteau5.jpg

cocteau_04.jpg

28370-004-01B96B97.jpg

I think that Cocteau can be thought of having a great personal style. He's certainly got sprezz out the ying yang...look ma, both cuffs undone and turned back! He had a large wardrobe. And yet, while he lived in his clothes, you will find that his clothes were pressed and cut very precisely.

Unlike Barbera, he kept this up into old age.

Shall we queue up the DoW? Barrymore? How about Agnelli? Do you know who looks pretty comfortable and lived in these days?

Flusser:

Alan-Flusser.jpg

My point here is not to say that "lived in" is styleless, only that the question of style is independent of that.

- B

sifl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
If you were well read here you'd know why I am one of the last at whom you should direct that criticism.

(so stop jerking off on my picture)
teacha.gif

oh no! I was made the object of an ownage funny!

16.jpg

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Just to make this more challenging for you, here is random collage of non-mannequin shots...all featuring components used in mannequin poses. Does your thesis seem strong if you look at the clothes when one is actually living in them?

595268393_sNsjL-S.jpg

- B

I didn't know you were gay

sifl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Among widely known examples, do you think that Luciano Barbera and Luca Rubinacci are bad ones?
Yes the Luca Rubinacci counter-example you used is a terrible one. He is anything but attempting careless elegance. He is on the contrary doing his best to dandify the classic style that his father promotes. He is all about adding popping colours and splashy details, certainly not a good picture to illustrate what you wanted: i.e. that a non-geriatric fellow cannot pull the careless look.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
This is my preference, as I live in the modern country.

But there is more to it than that. Remember the commentary about Il Vecchio's clothing and why he was comfortable in his clothes? They were old friends, he knew them well, chose them carefully, and he had worn them for awhile. In his case, a decade or two.

I bet that he looked even better when the clothes were new and in their closest fit.

Again, we will all look that way in our seventies, if by "that way" we mean that our old clothes will fit more loosely. And we are not going to give a ****...our first thoughts each morning will be, "F*ck...I can't believe that I am still alive."

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes the Luca Rubinacci counter-example you used is a terrible one. He is anything but attempting careless elegance. He is on the contrary doing his best to dandify the classic style that his father promotes. He is all about adding popping colours and splashy details, certainly not a good picture to illustrate what you wanted: i.e. that a non-geriatric fellow cannot pull the careless look.

Then, I have erred in not being more clear. I am not saying that a non-geriatric fellow cannot pull off the "careless look." I am saying that (1) if you are not already intrinsically non-chalant, it is nearly impossible to look that way through contrivance (e.g., L. Rubinacci) and (2) many of our iconic images of non-chalant men in tailored clothes are of old men in old clothes that no longer fit as new (e.g., today's L. Barbera.)

If you don't think that wearing a sweater vest with all buttons undone except one is not meant to evoke a worn in look, then you're kidding yourself.

BTW, here is Rubinacci père in the same type of getup:

nick-foulkes-mariano-rubinacci.jpg

Which of the two look better? BTW, according to a conversation that I think iammatt relayed about the elder Rubinacci, many of the items that he wears are rather old. I think it is fair to say that he is at an age where weight, musculature, and posture change for many men. He might look more rumpled, more "lived in" simply from that.

I wear much older stuff than most people on this forvm. I wear pants from pre-college days in the 1970s. I wear accessories bought in the early 1980s in college. And even in the past week, I have worn a suit made for me fourteen years ago. Here it is:

671032273_2nQH7-X2.jpg

I would guess most would say that this suit doesn't look "lived in" or fourteen years old. And yet both are true. But, it is (1) made well and from good components, (2) it has been maintained correctly, pressed, keeping its shape despite being flannel, and (3) is on a frame that has not changed weight, posture, or general body measurements in the intervening time.

If I lost ten pounds, starting to have a droopy posture, and stopped having the trousers pressed: instant lived in look.

- B

sifl

Reaction score
Nice try Mr Vox but this picture is not you. It is Mr Bush Jr.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
I didn't know you were gay

It's a prison improvisation.

I hope to be out in two years unless I have to shank someone again.

- B

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I love how Vox always feels like he has to defend himself by posting various photos in an attempt to prove he's right. It is always hilarious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics