• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If your wardrobe is too large, you end up looking worse.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
This week a writer ( I know a writer ) on Bon Ton was interviewed by one of the TV shows. He claimed he never wore a new suit in public before having slept in it for two nights.

I find the comment that managing on a smaller wardrobe is better strange. It's more economical but better?

There are those who like to sound clever by paraphrasing Fred Astaire's quotation about throwing his A&S suits against the wall before wearing them.

I guarantee you, however, that after Astaire wore these suits, his studio valet or butler would have pressed them. He wasn't the kind of guy who would show up somewhere with droopy knees.

The 1930s was a lot of things, but sartorially, it was not a celebration of "lived in" mens clothing...unless one was making a Depression-era sob piece.

- B

sifl

Reaction score
Luciano Barbera said that when he got his first suit made, his tailor Mario Pozzi told him to wear it for the next two days and sleep in it.

Bartolo

Reaction score
OP -- can you define "lived in" more specifically? You've used it a couple of times in this thread and I'd like to hear exactly what you mean by it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sifl
Luciano Barbera said that when he got his first suit made, his tailor Mario Pozzi told him to wear it for the next two days and sleep in it.

I think that Barbera is a perfect example. He is almost the poster child of what I think radicaldog is talking about. Most of us like how he dresses today. He looks so dÃ
00a9.png
shabillÃ
00a9.png
in his clothes when photographed in The Sartorialist, right? So lived in. Perfect.

lbjan.jpg

But do you know how old he is? 71. A 71 year old Italian heir wearing his old clothes will be manifesting a pronounced, well, "lived in" vibe. When you are 71, no matter what you are wearing, so will you. Even Mitt Romney, when is is 71, will look a tad less robotic.

Here is the real Barbera, in his prime, in another professionally taken photograph:

img_storia_1960.jpg

Let's say that you are trying to look carelessly done up like a stylish 71 year old man, but you are young and you are doing it on purpose. This is what you get:

9229Luca0081Web.jpg

Is it horrible? Well, that depends. It might not be horrible, but it is simply not the same thing as what the aged Barbera manifests.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
OP -- can you define "lived in" more specifically? You've used it a couple of times in this thread and I'd like to hear exactly what you mean by it.

You don't buy my description?

There is a thread devoted to the lived in look on StyleForvm and it is called WAYWRN. Nearly every ensemble is lived in and askew.

If you think about the totality of it, would WAYWRN posters look betting becoming more lived-in and askew, or less?

What could be more lived in than standing on your own carpeted toilet lid?

- B

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of random thoughts that might happen to apply to Vox regarding fit.

I think his clothes look lived in (at least those have aren't shot at first wearing) to the degree that it matters.

But two things: I think "lived in" is also describes the frumpiness that results from garments being, to some degree, ill fitting. In Vox's case, his mostly bespoke fits tend to lack the common sloppy shoulder etc that you might otherwise say is the result of being "lived in".
And the other is a choice regarding trousers- the weight of the 2" cuff, the aid it is in keeping the crease and the fact that he and many (hell- I'm even adopting it) sport virtually no break, creates a very clean line in the trouser. Add an inch and your perception would be wholly changed.

narnia-wardrobe-400ds0716.jpg

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Even Mitt Romney, when is is 71, will look a tad less robotic.

I wouldn't count on that.

sifl

Reaction score
Mr Vox, your exposÃ
00a9.png
and illustrations would be certainly convincing if they were not so blatantly biased and carefully picked to favor your theories.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that what you might mean instead is simply that you prefer clothes that are maintained less. More wrinkles. More bagginess. More academic and country life, less city, less growing up with a valet. It is an understandable preference to have...but I hope you do not presume it should be universal.
This is my preference, as I live in the modern country. But there is more to it than that. Remember the commentary about Il Vecchio's clothing and why he was comfortable in his clothes? They were old friends, he knew them well, chose them carefully, and he had worn them for awhile. In his case, a decade or two.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that Barbera is a perfect example. He is almost the poster child of what I think radicaldog is talking about. Most of us like how he dresses today. He looks so dÃ
00a9.png
shabillÃ
00a9.png
in his clothes when photographed in The Sartorialist, right? So lived in. Perfect.

lbjan.jpg

But do you know how old he is? 71. A 71 year old Italian heir wearing his old clothes will be manifesting a pronounced, well, "lived in" vibe. When you are 71, no matter what you are wearing, so will you. Even Mitt Romney, when is is 71, will look a tad less robotic.

Here is the real Barbera, in his prime, in another professionally taken photograph:

img_storia_1960.jpg

- B

Great example, B.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sifl
Mr Vox, your exposÃ
00a9.png
and illustrations would be certainly convincing if they were not so blatantly biased and carefully picked to favor your theories.

Because one should alays choose images that refute one's case? Damn... no wonder I sucked in Debate
facepalm.gif

sifl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Because one should alays choose images that refute one's case? Damn... no wonder I sucked in Debate
facepalm.gif

You still have a little bit left on the side of your mouth. slurp slurp

boyzeroo

Reaction score
i think a large wardrobe makes one look his best but can also do the opposite. If u have a large collection, you'll always be able to find complimentary articles, whereas if u have a limited collection size, you buy things to compliment articles you already have. Overall, it's not a matter of the size but the articles are in it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads