• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If your wardrobe is too large, you end up looking worse.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other things being equal, that is. Discuss.

armorarmylt

Reaction score
i agree to disagreee....... i dont know what guys here consider a fairly large wardrobe.... i was reading on esquires best dressed man, and the guy had something like 30 something plus suits....

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wardrobe size is quite large and that allows space for my clothes to breathe instead of being cramped in a small space, leaving them crumpled and wrinkled.

So a larger wardrobe makes one look his best, not to mention a neater storage.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your wardrobe can never be too big.

narnia!pauline%2Bbaynes%2Billustrations!Lucy%2Band%2BMr%2BTumnus%2B$28The%2BLion%2Bthe%2BWitch%2Band%2Bthe%2BWardrobe$29_473x500.jpg

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
My wardrobe size is quite large and that allows space for my clothes to breathe instead of being cramped in a small space, leaving them crumpled and wrinkled.

By 'size of wardrobe' I meant the number of garments, not the physical extension of the place where they are stored. Or I'm not getting the joke.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth

Other meaning of wardrobe.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take, for instance, Voxsartoria. He is obviously very well dressed, but don't his clothes always look too neat, not lived in, etc?

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Take, for instance, Voxsartoria. He is obviously very well dressed, but don't his clothes always look too neat, not lived in, etc?

He definitely suffers from too large a wardrobe. If the clothes were packed-in tighter, they'd look less neat, more lived-in, all to his (and our, since we have to look at his photos) benefit.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lurker[1].gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some people's personality / makeup can't handle too many of anything. Ever gone to a friends house and seen like 8 cd's in a 50 cd rack? And when you ask they say that wouldnt know what to listen to if they had more? Same thing happens in a restaurant with too large a menu, for some people its overwhelming, but for me its like time slowed down watching them.

I like a big selection but thats me because I can manage it. But for many, choice is not always a good thing.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By 'size of wardrobe' I meant the number of garments, not the physical extension of the place where they are stored. Or I'm not getting the joke.

Sorry, I was just being radical, dawg.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Maybe I just don't dress well, period...
frown.gif

Good topic, though.

Perhaps it is the photography? It could be a all the mannequin poses, which don't really do well at showing what you refer to a "lived in" look.

674158402_7YrNU-O.jpg

Just to make this more challenging for you, here is random collage of non-mannequin shots...all featuring components used in mannequin poses. Does your thesis seem strong if you look at the clothes when one is actually living in them?

439519889_UZ4eE-M.jpg
476333637_dCho4-S.jpg
476327494_va3XR-M.jpg

568865267_ADoVa-S.jpg
595268393_sNsjL-S.jpg

615863982_jRPH9-S.jpg
618968089_C6dB2-S.jpg

626319285_sABwa-S.jpg
628305239_jA26j-S.jpg

628864389_osF6C-S.jpg
631103994_PdtKt-S.jpg

632670577_mkq7o-S.jpg
636642281_FxR5b-S.jpg

638416152_SS9U4-S.jpg
643026775_Js2gK-S-1.jpg

644088642_4yRNn-S.jpg
645339853_YEh5X-S.jpg
646167659_aLqZK-S.jpg

645532993_CxEQL-S.jpg
649446300_Wrg4w-S.jpg
651534154_ysXAC-S.jpg

652424013_RqmXN-S.jpg
658737674_mfc2n-S.jpg
669642735_mQqor-S.jpg
604454011_XwGzj-L.jpg

Probably a bit of meticulousness seeps through above. Is it as much as you think, though?

I still like the mannequin poses because it makes it easy to focus on the clothes. The better and more creative the photography...or the more candid...the more influential the art of the photograph and the impressions of the moment captured by the shot. The latter two are related to style, but they relate style only tangentially (or not at all) to the clothes as objects.

Moreover, all the very best photographs that we all love of well dressed men are overwhelmingly commanded by professional photographs of celebrities, movies stars, and the famous, sometimes candid, but often in studio settings. Even then, what we remember is a tiny subset of photographs taken...many of which were bound to have been unfortunate (think Britney Spears fat pics.)

Another benefit of the mannequin poses? They make for far easier and far quicker photographs.

- B

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to pare down my wardrobe. My issue with it being too large is that I feel the need to always wear everything I own. I wind up with some rather poor combinations, because I'm forcing myself to make use of particular items. I feel much more comfortable with a small selection of high quality items which I can mix and match pretty easily without too much thought or effort. I think PG and Foo have mastered this very well, although with perhaps a bit too much compulsiveness. Nonetheless, I like what they've achieved and have been pushing myself in that direction.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
He definitely suffers from too large a wardrobe. If the clothes were packed-in tighter, they'd look less neat, more lived-in, all to his (and our, since we have to look at his photos) benefit.

biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads