• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone actually pay full price for neck ties?

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I love ties and have quite a few, but for the life of me I could never pay full price for one. It seems with the huge array of available sale ties, unless you absolutely had to have a certain one they're extremely over-priced comparatively.

or am I cheap?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they are mostly sold at full price along with sale-priced jackets or shirts. Salesmen are smart that way. Me, I hit up Filene's.

Luckyguy

Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I paid full retail for a tie with the exception of a black grenadine I got from Sam Hober. The tie is well worth it and Dave is good guy to deal with.

-Alex

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I pay full retail for Cappellis. Sometimes for Marinella.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hardly ever wear a tie anymore so when I do I want it to be right. Because of that I am willing to pay full retail for what I think is an ideal color combination and style. I rarely shop by brand. It is all about the color, pattern and material.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes

Caomhanach

Reaction score
Full price for a full tie. I refuse to pay for a label like Hermes or some fake eyetalian shop called Emiliano de Zapata of Milano with the last gondola half cut off at the tip. It's Sam Hober for me.
I'd rather have a handfull that stop people in their tracks ( I love pointing out to sea towards Thailand when people ask where to buy one) Than a closet full of dishtowels.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caomhanach
Full price for a full tie. I refuse to pay for a label like Hermes or some fake eyetalian shop called Emiliano de Zapata of Milano with the last gondola half cut off at the tip. It's Sam Hober for me.
I'd rather have a handfull that stop people in their tracks ( I love pointing out to sea towards Thailand when people ask where to buy one) Than a closet full of dishtowels.

who said you cant get a tie (or anything for that matter) tha stop people in their tracks , on discount?

just because something is on sale or discounted doesnt automatically make it an unwant

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll pay full retail. It depends on the tie and the price. For high-dollar ties like Charvet or Kiton, never. I have gotten quite a few "luxe" ties--Charvet, Kiton, Brioni, Zegna, Canali, etc.--at deep discounts at the Saks Off-5th near my office over the years. I sometimes remark that getting a Kiton tie for less than $30 is the next best thing to shoplifting it!

Ryan Graber

Reaction score
I've paid full price for a vitaliano pancaldi, and probably would again.
If it is some crap like Giorgio Armani, Canali, Zegna, Versace, Talbott I'll pick it up at the rack/ off 5fth/last call

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've paid full price but not in the last couple of years, IIRC.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I hardly ever wear a tie anymore so when I do I want it to be right. Because of that I am willing to pay full retail for what I think is an ideal color combination and style. I rarely shop by brand. It is all about the color, pattern and material.

+1 If its something I really like I'll pay for price for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads