• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Rake" magazine

pat bateman

Reaction score
i just picked up the oct. and nov. issue of of Men's Ex and Men's Precious and i gotta say why in the world can't the US duplicate the high quality of these magazines. i don't speak or read Japanese but you don't have to in order to love page after page of these mags.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are there any US newstands that carry The Rake?

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron

+1, I really want to try it out. Plus, I'd like to read this piece on Rubinacci.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I couldn't find any. I ordered mine from their website. It was worth the wait.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Similarly for those in Oz, I dropped the publisher a note and apparently there are no distributors here. Subscription is the way to go I was informed.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess I'll order it, though the shipping is kinda high.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pat bateman
i just picked up the oct. and nov. issue of of Men's Ex and Men's Precious and i gotta say why in the world can't the US duplicate the high quality of these magazines. i don't speak or read Japanese but you don't have to in order to love page after page of these mags.

Japan does more than a few things well. The depth, detail, and quality of print media there is on another level.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
I just did an online subscription for this, not bad at US$ 40 for 6 editions. Based on the online articles it looks ok to me.

I wonder whether they will send me the current issue, it looks good but they seem to be expensive for back issues at $30 a go

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my issues from a person selling them, and another on the way from the official website (maybe in the next few weeks?)

Awesome, awesome magazine-- looks to me to be written just for gents of the styleforum and askandy types. really interesting articles, and the photos are excellent-- the article on Cleverley is a must for anyone who owns a pair of their magnificent shoes. really cool, and I am thinking about doing my first bespoke piece as a result of the magazine. That dinner suit by Tim Everest (a slim cut tuxedo) looks like a good expenditure, split between two yearly bonuses I'm hoping for in the near future.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll order it, though the shipping is kinda high.

What issue did you order? They don't seem to have the most recent, #5 listed on the site yet.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just ordered all the available back issues (2,3,4) and have been put on the waiting list for #1 in the event that they reprint it (so everyone drop them and lets get #1 reprinted!)

The subscription starts with issue 5, the current issue, and that's probably why it isn't listed seperately under the back issues.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to receive the individual issues? I ordered two weeks ago, but I figured it would be a few weeks...

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Just ordered all the available back issues (2,3,4) and have been put on the waiting list for #1 in the event that they reprint it (so everyone drop them and lets get #1 reprinted!)

The subscription starts with issue 5, the current issue, and that's probably why it isn't listed seperately under the back issues.

Wow, this is pretty expensive for the US. Should we start an SF magazine exchange program?

jon5986

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Just got my issues from a person selling them, and another on the way from the official website (maybe in the next few weeks?)

Awesome, awesome magazine-- looks to me to be written just for gents of the styleforum and askandy types. really interesting articles, and the photos are excellent-- the article on Cleverley is a must for anyone who owns a pair of their magnificent shoes. really cool, and I am thinking about doing my first bespoke piece as a result of the magazine. That dinner suit by Tim Everest (a slim cut tuxedo) looks like a good expenditure, split between two yearly bonuses I'm hoping for in the near future.

Agreed. The article on Cleverley is great! I also loved the one on Anderson & Sheppard. I love those shoes with the red lining.

I'm sure you already know, but Cleverley are on tour now in the USA for their Fall trunk shows. Dates and details are on their website: www.gjcleverley.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads