• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a bottle of this Brotherhood Pinot Noir from Finger Lakes NY over last night and tonight. It was pretty tight at first but after some time it opened up nicely and was rather enjoyable. I think after tasting a lot of Hudson Valley wines the "terroir" just jumps out at me.
img0805c.jpg
Sorry the pics are a little blurry I turned the flash of to capture the color of the wine but it in turn slowed down the shutter.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
kwik - Hop in your car and make a day-trip up to Anderson Valley. There are many smaller, family-owned wineries up along 128, between Yorkville and Navarro. I don't recall which ones charged, but at least a couple were free, or maybe $5-$10. Since you're going on a weekday, this late in the year, they might not even charge you; especially if you name-drop your employer [cough].

One I particularly enjoyed when we toured it early summer 2008: Toulouse Vineyards. Total mom-n-pop outfit. Their tasting room is a couple of wooden doors stretched between barrels in a barn. The winemaker was there serving the wine when I visited. The yellow lab that runs out to greet you is pretty cool as well.

+1 on Anderson Valley. One of my favorite wines is Sausal Winery, which makes one of the few age-able zinfandels I've tasted. They have vines over 130 years old.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
+1 on Anderson Valley. One of my favorite wines is Sausal Winery, which makes one of the few age-able zinfandels I've tasted. They have vines over 130 years old.

Sickkkkkkkk.

Thanks for the recs guys. Ended up not being able to go, I had to stay at work for a couple hours on my day off. Hopefully I'll make it up to Anderson Valley next Monday or Tuesday. Looking forward to it, plus I'll have more money by then.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

tshaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
yes, the Finger Lakes to be exact. My GF is doing her thesis back on campus so I'll get to visit her, eat some delicious regional food, and visit a bunch of wineries that I hold in high regard. The tentative plan is to visit Herman J. Wiemer (my personal favorite), Dr. Konstantin Frank, Wagner, and a handful of others that I need to pick out.

Personally, I loved Dr. Konstantin Frank for the champagnes...

T
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody buy this wine. $99 for this Barolo is a steal for sure, and Gary Vaynerchuck was not exaggerating about cinderella. http://cinderellawine.com/

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Somebody buy this wine. $99 for this Barolo is a steal for sure, and Gary Vaynerchuck was not exaggerating about cinderella.

http://cinderellawine.com/

Nice. I just spent my weekly budget on 2 mags of Sea Smoke though
frown.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it is Sea Smoke so you're forgiven.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rarely read this thread - glad I did.. in for some of the Aldo Conterno Barolo Granbussia Riserva.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I rarely read this thread - glad I did.. in for some of the Aldo Conterno Barolo Granbussia Riserva.

Noice!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
another great bottle at another superb price.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This weekend will be wine central.

Our Thanksgiving. It'll be a great excuse to open some nice bottles.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Speaking of Thanksgiving, I plan to do a nice bottle hunt myself. I wont be able to take any time off to visit family, it'll just be me and a few friends in the city this year. I'm thinking of a nice white burgundy (I've been adoring St. Aubin for a while now) and perhaps a Loire Valley white or a Guado al Tasso Vermentino for kicks.

Last year, I spent Thanksgiving in Siena, Italy.
inlove.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Is this dryer than most Pinots you try? Just wondering.

Originally Posted by audiophilia
Yes.

Just curious...can you name the last Pinot you had with a noticeable residual sugar level? Thanks.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
In my observations, French pinot noir isn't necessarily dryer than others, but the fruit isn't as massive as say a Cali or a Kiwi. I've had some ridiculously fruity pinots from NZ, the French ones are a much different style, more terroire, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads