• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k

A one colour canopy is a rare thing at Arnys.
smile.gif

dont you go after rare things?

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
dont you go after rare things?

LOL! An astute observation my learned friend.
smile.gif
To be honest, while Arnys umbrellas are beautiful and they do have solid coloured nylons, I could not justify the prices they were asking.

Furthermore, my check in luggage was already overweight as was my hand carry. Cost and logistics made it a difficult purchase to justify. Beside, I need to save some things for my next visit.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
LOL! An astute observation my learned friend.
smile.gif
To be honest, while Arnys umbrellas are beautiful and they do have solid coloured nylons, I could not justify the prices they were asking.

Furthermore, my check in luggage was already overweight as was my hand carry. Cost and logistics made it a difficult purchase to justify. Beside, I need to save some things for my next visit.

i do like the brolly handle. solid coloured is best, lest it appear similar to a golf umbrella.

and why not get it and ship - leaving a good purchase behind is like leaving food on your plate. might not be there next time. finish your breakfast...

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
It was pouring with rain today, just as I happened to be passing the SAB shop. Here's a quick pic to show that the PoW sterling cap can be added to a solid stick umbrella. The photo is not so good, but the oak colour in the pic is pretty true to life. Best I can do for now. Size is 27" and the wood is oak.

Should it have come with a nylon cover?

Mine did (from factory the web shop)

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
i do like the brolly handle. solid coloured is best, lest it appear similar to a golf umbrella.

and why not get it and ship - leaving a good purchase behind is like leaving food on your plate. might not be there next time. finish your breakfast...

If I showed you my credit card statement, you'd understand.
smile.gif

Discipline is knowing when to walk away. I had to exert a lot of discipline. The logistics excuse was a nice way of making it harder to purchase
smile.gif

Lucy J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Can someone tell me what the benefit (if any) is to a solid stick umbrella vs. metal shaft?

I assume solid stick can be cut to the user's requirements but is there any structural advantage to solid stick?

I've commented on this before somewhere in this thread but here's a reminder...

The disadvantage of a solid stick is the umbrella, when furled, isn't as slim as it is with a metal tube, and the umbrella itself is quite a bit heavier.

One possible disadvantage of the metal shaft is as follows - I used to have a metal tube Fox umbrella which was great until I got caught in a really violent storm here in Brighton - the wind along the seafront and especially along the side streets coming up from the seafront can be horrendous. The brolly was completely blown inside out, and it took me 10 or 15 seconds to get it closed. Whilst I was struggling to get the brolly down, the wind was still battering the underside of the cover, and when I finally got the brolly under control, I discovered that as well as three broken spokes, the central metal shaft was very badly bent. The brolly was completely beyond repair.

Given that about 80% of my time is in Brighton, battling the coastal winds, and that a decent proportion of the rest is amongst the tall buildings and wind tunnels of the City of London and Canary Wharf, I've used solid stick umbrellas ever since.

Hope that helps.....

Lucy

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucy J
One possible disadvantage of the metal shaft is as follows - I used to have a metal tube Fox umbrella which was great until I got caught in a really violent storm here in Brighton - the wind along the seafront and especially along the side streets coming up from the seafront can be horrendous. The brolly was completely blown inside out, and it took me 10 or 15 seconds to get it closed. Whilst I was struggling to get the brolly down, the wind was still battering the underside of the cover, and when I finally got the brolly under control, I discovered that as well as three broken spokes, the central metal shaft was very badly bent. The brolly was completely beyond repair.

As an extension of this, I thought the advantage of a signle-stick umbrella is that they're strong enough to use as a walking stick.

Can anyone verify this?

Stuart

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
As an extension of this, I thought the advantage of a signle-stick umbrella is that they're strong enough to use as a walking stick.

Can anyone verify this?

Stuart

In line with this, how do they deem the 'proper' height of the umbrella when they're cutting it to size?

tobinbridge

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the benefit (if any) is to a solid stick umbrella vs. metal shaft?

I assume solid stick can be cut to the user's requirements but is there any structural advantage to solid stick?

There are structural advantages; I will let Boris (The Blade) explain: Heavy is good, Heavy is reliable. If it doesen't work you can always hit them with it.

Originally Posted by ferguscan

Can anyone verify this?

Stuart

You are correct. A stick umbrella can be used as a walking stick when it's not raining. Or see above.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Brigg sells the covers separately, I believe. Mine didn't come with one. Last I checked, one of the online vendors wanted $50 for a cover.

I recall paying $35.00 for each of my Brigg covers, but that was a couple or so years ago.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I recall paying $35.00 for each of my Brigg covers, but that was a couple or so years ago.

My factory second brigg most certainly came with a nylon cover.

Regarding full length stick - after having one, I would never want a two-piece, metal, etc. I just love the solid feeling of a long thick wooden shaft.. MMMM...

But seriously, it's sturdy and still quite slim when the cover is on. I've been limping due to my shin split lately and it helps when used as a cane. And when it comes to it, it's a great weapon to keep the homeless and the unfortunates at bay.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
My factory second brigg most certainly came with a nylon cover.

Regarding full length stick - after having one, I would never want a two-piece, metal, etc. I just love the solid feeling of a long thick wooden shaft.. MMMM...

But seriously, it's sturdy and still quite slim when the cover is on. I've been limping due to my shin split lately and it helps when used as a cane. And when it comes to it, it's a great weapon to keep the homeless and the unfortunates at bay.

The cover does help with giving the stick umbrella a slim appearance.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I just love the solid feeling of a long thick wooden shaft.. MMMM...

plain.gif

Lucy J

Reaction score
plain.gif

As regards enjoying the feeling of a long thick shaft - I couldnt possibly comment.......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads