• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lendo

5879b98c.jpg

P8310015.jpg

c2371b35.jpg

These pics are great, especially the first two, and mostly the second.

The chambray is a big shirt in any size. My XL chambray doesn't fit like my xl favorite shirts. The pit to pit measurements are the same (25), but there's something else going on with chambray to make it overall bigger.

Of the three, I like the 2nd most, and not just because I like the shirt. The shoulders look snugger, in fact, the whole thing has a slimmer profile. There's obviously a difference between that small and OCBD XS. But who cares since the favorite small seems to work better than the OCBD xs.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree about the chambray. I wear Large and it's a bit bigger than my Secret Washes in Large. I think the workwear designs tend to be a bit bigger, but I also think that's intentional. It's supposed to be vintage or something.

Anyway. So nobody has been in the store this week? Just curious if any new stuff is getting put out.

stannyboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I agree about the chambray. I wear Large and it's a bit bigger than my Secret Washes in Large. I think the workwear designs tend to be a bit bigger, but I also think that's intentional. It's supposed to be vintage or something. Anyway. So nobody has been in the store this week? Just curious if any new stuff is getting put out.
I was in yesterday, noticed some new things, but hadn't been there in a few weeks. Saw a great corduroy sportcoat with thick corduroy and a really nice fit. It was like a dark green to my eyes, the website also shows a maroon...a little steep at $158 though... I also realized that maybe M shirts fit better than L, hopefully it won't shrink much!

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
May stop by tonight for a quick look-see, then return Saturday for some loitering and pondering.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Realized I "need" another white shirt so may have to grab the workshirt in white if it's marked down.

stannyboy

Reaction score
Realized I "need" another white shirt so may have to grab the workshirt in white if it's marked down.

which shirt is that?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Get them both. Tho I give the edge to the utility just cuz it has more details of interest.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lendo
Here's just a quick comparison shot to visualize what i'm talking about:

c2371b35.jpg

Nice pics and dog. I think the 3rd shirt does fit best overall, the sleeves are baggier on the first two - something I'm going to have to pay attention to when buying their shirts. I pretty much decided on sizing down to a large so I haven't noticed poofy sleeves.

Same thing with the length, the XL's are just too long for untucked wear and I can't even get a clean tuck with an XL because it's too wide so I'm fighting all that extra material. If I want to tuck in a large there's barely enough length to keep it inside the pants so large untucked is the only way I can go with these. Seems like alot of people here have issues with the shirt sizing, I think J Crew should take a good look at this.

Also just a tip - J Crew models don't look at the camera, you are supposed to look off into space. You had the coffee cup and rustic outdoor thing going so we'll let it slide this time.
smile.gif

By the way, what were the sand colored shoes in the 2nd pic?

Lendo

Reaction score
hahahaha. i'll work on my j. crew model thing. i have some books lying around i can pretend to read as well.
laugh.gif

that's the stupid thing about their sizing, the rest of the ocbd fits great. their sleeves always seem baggy to me though. as has been said many times, it doesn't seem like you can pull of a really good "slim" fit with their clothes otr.

just general info on the rest of the stuff in the pics for those who may be interested:
1st
jeans: sufu 660 contest jeans
shoes: yuketen cap-toe oxfords

2nd
jeans: apc rescue
shoes: red wing wabasha chukkas

3rd
jeans: rrl slim bootcut
shoes: yuketen suede bucks

*both pair of yuketens from ebay
smile.gif

synovoid

Reaction score
Get them both. Tho I give the edge to the utility just cuz it has more details of interest.

the utility is also cheaper. have these chambrays been marked down?

synovoid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiamdream
The former, for sure - really don't like the color of the other one.

never had a chance to see the single pocket one in store, damn it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics