• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worth trying to sell non-SF-approved clothing on B&S or even eBay?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some terrible clothing items that I bought long before discovering SF. A ventless sportcoat, some no-name ties... do I have any hope of selling these on B&S or even eBay? Or should these just go straight to the thrift store?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd try ebay first

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your time. Goodwill that stuff.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the ties are reasonably attractive and not from, say, Express, they might sell if you price 'em at $10-$12. People sell ugly thrift ties all the time.

Line 'em up, take a pic, post it and see what happens. I wouldn't sink much effort into this sort of sale, but if the energy expenditure is small enough, no great loss.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try donating to an agency that provides clothing to poor people so they can go on job interviews. Then write off a significant amount from your taxes. More than you'll get from goodwill.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the appraise the value of the donated items? I have never been able to write off any amount for taxes unless I gave cash.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If the ties are reasonably attractive and not from, say, Express, they might sell if you price 'em at $10-$12. People sell ugly thrift ties all the time.

Line 'em up, take a pic, post it and see what happens. I wouldn't sink much effort into this sort of sale, but if the energy expenditure is small enough, no great loss.

+1

gsugsu

Reaction score
I usually donate the clothes I no longer want especially if they are of lower quality or threadbare. I'm sure there is a market somewhere for them it all depends on if it is worth your time and effort to sell them.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Try donating to an agency that provides clothing to poor people so they can go on job interviews. Then write off a significant amount from your taxes. More than you'll get from goodwill.

+1. Look online for how to value donated items. As I recall, you need receipts when the total amount exceeds $500.

Bellum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I've seen used socks sold on this forum.

I don't disbelieve you but I need to see that thread. Were they worn by someone famous? Or was it like some kind of Japanese worn panties fetish? I hope it wasn't just some old "handmade in Italy" OTC.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
+1. Look online for how to value donated items. As I recall, you need receipts when the total amount exceeds $500.

Ask for a receipt. You should be donating to a non-profit with 501 status. I imagine, just like goodwill, you'll get a blank receipt where you can write in the "value" of the clothes you donated (although I think typically you are expected to claim, at most, 10% of the original price paid or something). If you provide suits, ties, etc., you can easily write down you donated a thousand or two worth of clothes. Add that to your taxes, and you save a few hundred bucks. Better than the pennies you'd get on ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads