• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving, with or against the grain?

alex98uk

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been shaving for a while now (using a Gillette Fuzion razor) and I have always gone with the grain which is down the neck (from chin towards chest). However, I find I don't get a particularly close shave. Recently I tried going up the neck (chest towards chin) which according to the Gillette adverts, is normal. However, I find that even with a slight bit of hair, it can become painful, leaving bad razor burn afterwards. However, it's a much smoother shave. I tend to shave after getting out of the shower and I use Nivia balm after which helps a lot, but which way should I be going and do you have any tips as to the best shave? Thanks, Alex
smile.gif

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
The first pass (or two) should certainly be with the grain, but you will need to go across or even against it for a fully smooth shave. If you are new to shaving I suggest you get into good habits from the start. Check out the Badger and Blade website.

alex98uk

Reaction score
I'm not new, i'm 20 now, but been wet shaving for a good 3 years (got taught not to use electric razors from the start
tongue.gif
). Anyway, what you're saying is do one pass with the grain, lather up again and then go against? I guess that makes sense, never thought of doing it that way. I read some guides and I tend to follow them, I just wondered whether most people go down the chin, or up (like they always do in the commericals).

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
Exactly. I usually lather up three times and have three passes.

I go up the neck a couple of times and only down to finish off a few difficult patches.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
2 passes. along and against.

+1...

I've been reading that wetshaving thread and need to try it. Most of the time I fall into that shaving is a pain ********** thing I have to do everyday.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get a pre-shave oil. It won't fully prevent razor burn and ingrown hairs but it will help. With a Fusion definitely with the grain first then go ACROSS, not against the grain. You may need to make more than two passes. Lather up before each round.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Get a pre-shave oil. It won't fully prevent razor burn and ingrown hairs but it will help. With a Fusion definitely with the grain first then go ACROSS, not against the grain. You may need to make more than two passes. Lather up before each round.

I skip the pre-shave oil, but I know people who need it. I make the same passes, but with a straight.

ulim

Reaction score
I would graduate to a DE safety razor instead of the Fuzion for the closest possible shave (check out the guide to wetshaving thread or SF affiliate WestCoastShaving.com).

For the best shave, I recommend the first pass be with the grain, second pass across the grain (ie. 90 degrees), and the final pass against the grain.

However, if you attempt to do these different passes with a Fusion, you will probably end up irritating your skin greatly.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
with a fusion, I'd say just 2 passes, one with one against (it's got multi blades, so you get irritation...).

Waht might help... shower and soak your beard properly before. Then I like to lather, and wait a couple of minutes while mixing up the lather, then reapply, then my first pass. Usually I do a combo of with and across at the same time, then I relather (second one) and do agaisnt the grain.
****With the neck area, I used to get a lot of irritation, still get some. I'd suggest letting your hair grow out for a few days and actually checking the pattern. Mine has several different directions, spirals, etc, which is why when I think I'm going "with", I'm actually not... also, your cheek "plains" are relatively consistent, but the angle of your neck is quite extreme, and you need to pivot the razor head at the same rate...
I'm using a DE but for the against I actually use a 2 blade disposable...
preshave oil and good aftershave balm can help.
I've also taken to wiping my blades with a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol to kill any germs. Not sure if it helps, but makes me feel safer.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First go with the grain, then lather up again and go against the grain. The first with the grain pass should serve to reduce the beard only, setting your face up for an against the grain pass that will shave very close.

If you still get razor burn or irritation then, it's just what you have to deal with using a M3 or any other multibladed cartridge razor.

hedgehog

Reaction score
I would advice you not to go against the grain. Try going across and see if that makes it smooth enough for you.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Against. It is the only way to get a close shave for many people.

phil47

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads