• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

purchasing second hand dress shoes

poissa

Reaction score
I'm looking for dress shoes to wear at weddings and to work. My options are the rubbish, kenneth cole, banana republic, et al in the price range or purchasing second hand shoes. What I'm looking to learn from you guys, is what kinds of shoes will allow me to replace the leather outsole, and gut the shoe.

I think its in my best interest to avoid the junk mentioned above, hand a second hand shoe to a cobbler and all him to do his magic, if I'm not mistaken. So the question is, what is the entry point in dollars, on average and what brands can I safely consider?

thanks

poissa

Reaction score
how come no responses?!

Jimbo26

Reaction score
You're probably better off asking dress shoe questions in the Men's Clothing forum.

hi-val

Reaction score
If your budget is $60-100, Ebay is the place to look. Since you want shoes to be refurbished, it's also helpful to know what companies have refurbishing policies. I think Allen Edmonds will run you about $40-120 for them to make the shoes like new again. Thus, if you find a pair you like on Ebay for a low price, you can have them recrafted and save about $100 over retail if you're willing to put in the time.

This might be helpful, too: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...Id=40000000001

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
If your budget is $60-100, Ebay is the place to look. Since you want shoes to be refurbished, it's also helpful to know what companies have refurbishing policies. I think Allen Edmonds will run you about $40-120 for them to make the shoes like new again. Thus, if you find a pair you like on Ebay for a low price, you can have them recrafted and save about $100 over retail if you're willing to put in the time.

This might be helpful, too: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...Id=40000000001

Thanks, I am willing to spend closer to $150 for the shoe which may allow me more options. Will I be able to score anything better than Allen Edmonds, most of the guys on here who are legit into shoes wouldn't touch one.

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
While your multiply punctuated second post seems to presume everyone should immediately answer your questions, I'll still oblige as I'm a nice guy.

Here's a link to a very similar thread from a week or so ago that has a lot of good advice:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=141711

perfect start. Sorry for being impatient
smile.gif

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
Thanks, I am willing to spend closer to $150 for the shoe which may allow me more options. Will I be able to score anything better than Allen Edmonds, most of the guys on here who are legit into shoes wouldn't touch one.

Don't pay the Allen Edmonds hate any mind. They're not nearly as well constructed as Aldens or many UK brands, but they're much better than any cheaper Asian-made options.

The main issue with AE is that the shoes are overpriced at retail. But if you can score a pair for $100-$200, then I think you'll have a very fair price for a good shoe.

Eagle

Reaction score
You can buy rather well made AE seconds, new, for as little as $129 to $200. That is possibly less than the total you would pay for a pair of used shoes, after having them recrafted...and you still have shoes in which the insoles have formed to another's feet! Buy the AE or Alden seconds...your feet will thank you.
wink.gif

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E runs true to size right? If my feet measures 10.5D, I should get the 10.5D?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
AE runs true to size right? If my feet measures 10.5D, I should get the 10.5D?

Most people say yes, but that's because AE has pretty much become the standard for sizing. Nearly everybody on this forum has tried it on, or tried on a shoe that is supposed to be comparable, so it serves as one easy way to gauge fitting issues.

So if you're thinking that you're size 10.5D based on a shoe that we think runs large or small, then that's not helpful.

Why don't you tell what size you wear in certain brands, and then go from there.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear 10.5 in vans, 10 in chucks, 10 in red wings gts with insoles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads