• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making $100k/year: would you rather be working in Manhattan or Nashville, TN?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
This sort of information is very helpful; had no idea that was the case. I really know almost nothing about Nashville.

That and Living in NYC you will pay State AND City Income Tax...Awesome isn't it?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
Nashville= a very annoying accent + hot as hell in the summer + tons of rednecks + women that look like dolly parton. For all that suffering, $100k isn't nearly enough

you ever been to nashville?

i live in new orleans and i don't think i want to leave this place at this point...in fact i intend on going to law school down here and staying for the long haul.

BUT, i did live in tennessee for about 18 months during katrina...about an hour away from nashville.

nashvilles nice. it's a beautiful place. there are no rednecks or dolly parton lookalikes. but there are plenty of attractions, plenty of down-home nice people and lots to enjoy.

it's one of the most beautiful places i've ever been, and i've been up and down the east coast, including NY.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nashville has a 100% scale replica of the Greek Parthenon. Beat THAT, NYC.
parthenon.jpg

Agnacious

Reaction score
I have lived in NY. I have also lived in GA and AL. I would sooner kill myself than move back to the south.

I am in sofl now, which isn't the south, and I am glad to be surrounded by nyers. Which isn't something that is said very often.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
you ever been to nashville?

i live in new orleans and i don't think i want to leave this place at this point...in fact i intend on going to law school down here and staying for the long haul.

BUT, i did live in tennessee for about 18 months during katrina...about an hour away from nashville.

nashvilles nice. it's a beautiful place. there are no rednecks or dolly parton lookalikes. but there are plenty of attractions, plenty of down-home nice people and lots to enjoy.

it's one of the most beautiful places i've ever been, and i've been up and down the east coast, including NY.

Yeah, I've been to Nashville many times and totally disagree with the above...but suit yourself

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, the responses here surprise me. I'd be in Nashville, no question, hands down. Music, hotties, far superior standard of living on $100K.

newinny

Reaction score
I have lived and worked in both locations and am still in my twenties:

Nashville:
pros
-convenience of owning a car
-100k makes you a big-timer
-friendly people
-nature
-no income tax
-big house/apartment w/ expensive rent
-cheap

cons
-smallish
-can be boring
-not as diverse

NYC:
pros
-more things to do
-more opportunities for career growth
-generally higher wages
-additional citi tax for those that work inside manhattan

cons
-dirty
-no nature
-horrific scenes that you get used to on a daily basis
-obnoxious people
-crappy transportation
-small apartment w/ expensive rent
-high cost-of-living

It depends really. The pro of career growth dominates my choices and thus I'm still in Manhattan. From a SF point of view, NYC dominates with more shops and opportunities for sartorial exploration.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do I own Spertia's house?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Nashville has a 100% scale replica of the Greek Parthenon. Beat THAT, NYC.

parthenon.jpg

do people actually go into it? the steps are large and not made for mortals?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
Yeah, I've been to Nashville many times and totally disagree with the above...but suit yourself

at this point i'm just curious but what didn't you like about nashville?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing that can be said for TN is that you have to know what people call rednecks when they are talking about TN.

Many have the southern accent, but dont really have the southern culture to go along with it like you would see in MS, AL, LA and so on. They are religious and conservative, but not nearly as much as other southerners. The civil war also isn't still a big deal in TN like it is for other southern states.

In other words, if you absolutely hate southern culture, then you have little to dislike about TN, Nashville in particular.

IBJanky

Reaction score
I'd rather be in Los Angeles, CA.

Awesome weather all year
biggrin.gif

myke

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people have have an inflated idea about rent in NYC. Its not as bad as you imagine. That being said, if you are willing to trade a relatively stress free, fulfilling lifestyle for a few more bars, restaurants and museums, by all means, take NYC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads