• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you prefer the quality of Borrelli shirts over Barba or vice-versa?

Essentio

Reaction score
Do you prefer the quality of Borrelli shirts over Barba or vice-versa?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I own many samples of each, and they are all about the same.

The more important difference between the two is that Barbas tend to be slimmer and also to have shorter sleeves. How much of this difference is due to getting all of my Barbas in Italy versus all of my Borrellis in the US I cannot say.

- B

Essentio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I own many samples of each, and they are all about the same.

The more important difference between the two is that Barbas tend to be slimmer and also to have shorter sleeves. How much of this difference is due to getting all of my Barbas in Italy versus all of my Borrellis in the US I cannot say.

- B

Thanks!

May I ask why do you get your Barbas in Italy, are they cheaper there or is it because of the selection?

Hans

Reaction score
Of the ones I have, the Borrelli are slightly better quality.

I can confirm what Vox said about their fit: Barba shirts are slimmer

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Essentio
Thanks!

May I ask why do you get your Barbas in Italy, are they cheaper there or is it because of the selection?

I just happened to buy the Barbas while traveling.

My first RTW Neopolitan shirts were Barbas bought in a great little shop in Venice that no longer exists.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
My Paul Jheeta shirts are a notch above both though.

It's the hint of saffron and cumin.

- B

pendragon

Reaction score
I just happened to buy the Barbas while traveling.

My first RTW Neopolitan shirts were Barbas bought in a great little shop in Venice that no longer exists.

- B

Do you mean Ian's store that was on Main, in Venice, CA? If so, he's still there. Hidden away in a little place that doesn't open to the public. He sells online & ebay now: www.Shopthefinest.com

Of course, if you meant Venice, Italy...

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pendragon
Do you mean Ian's store that was on Main, in Venice, CA? If so, he's still there. Hidden away in a little place that doesn't open to the public. He sells online & ebay now: www.Shopthefinest.com

Of course, if you meant Venice, Italy...

The latter.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few barba's and 10 or so borrelli's. I prefer borrelli for the collar and overall shape - but in terms of quality they're really similar.

I've started favoring borrelli RTW shirts of bespoke because I can pick them up at a better price, and like the fit more. Same with odd trousers for that matter.

literasyme

Reaction score
Funny -- in my experience, Barba's sleeves are a little longer. Agreed on the slimness, though. Borrelli have a bit more handwork (collars are hand-attached, shoulders have hand stitching, whereas my Barbas have handwork only on the armholes and buttons/buttonholes), and the fabrics seem slightly higher quality. Overall, I think it's more or less a wash.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Funny -- in my experience, Barba's sleeves are a little longer. Agreed on the slimness, though. Borrelli have a bit more handwork (collars are hand-attached, shoulders have hand stitching, whereas my Barbas have handwork only on the armholes and buttons/buttonholes), and the fabrics seem slightly higher quality. Overall, I think it's more or less a wash.

Most Barba I have seen don't have hand-sewn buttonholes. I think Borrelli are a step above Barba, definitely. Of course Barba does have the higher line with the gold-on-white labels.

Wicky

Reaction score
How much of this difference is due to getting all of my Barbas in Italy versus all of my Borrellis in the US I cannot say.

- B

I think this makes a hell of a difference! Borrelli's for the US market are sized as a tent. The stuff we buy here is much slimmer on the chest and waist, although not as slim as RTW Barba.

As regards handwork on a Barba, they have different lines. The black label has less handwork compared to most Borrelli's, the Gold label (d'oro) has more, hence is the more expensive Barba label. RTW Barba is less expensive then Borrelli (< € 180 black label Barba whereas Borrelli RTW starts at € 200 and runs north).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wicky
I think this makes a hell of a difference! Borrelli's for the US market are sized as a tent. The stuff we buy here is much slimmer on the chest and waist, although not as slim as RTW Barba.

As regards handwork on a Barba, they have different lines. The black label has less handwork compared to most Borrelli's, the Gold label (d'oro) has more, hence is the more expensive Barba label. RTW Barba is less expensive then Borrelli (< € 180 black label Barba whereas Borrelli RTW starts at € 200 and runs north).

There's also Buonomassa, Barba's top line.

- B

Wicky

Reaction score
There's also Buonomassa, Barba's top line.

- B

Correct, never seen them in real life though, you B?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads