• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Church wear?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Church is a fun place for me to try all sorts of wear as there really is no dress code (at least the church I go to).
Some days I wear a blazer with a nice pair of pants. Some days I wear my streetwear ensemble with rrl jeans and sorts. It don't matter what you wear as long as you try to dress your best.
Just don't go in flip flops a tshirt you wore after mowing the lawn and hair right from bed. Just don't be disrespectful.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should take a picture of the dress code sign at my church. They have three pictures of inappropiate dress for females which consists of short shorts, miniskirts & bare midriffs. Inappropiate attire for a guy consists of swim trunks and not wearing a shirt.

BareSolid

Reaction score
It was always very bad manners to decline if the priest asked you to polish the organ.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was inappropriate for that person to remark you looked like a choir boy.
If he does it again, rebuke him by saying 'I was raised to wear my 'sunday best' to show respect to the Lord Jesus.' Walk away with humility. Then forgive the bastard and don't talk with him again.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wingin' it
The Missouri synod is the one I have found as dressing the most formal. Wisconsin a bit less and ELCA even less.

Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Yeah, I was going to say that the more liturgical the service, the more formal the garb.

Not quite- formal does not equal serious. MaoMao is often dressed "formally" but never seriously.

The Wisconsin synod has a strong pietistic streak that prefers sleekly stark liturgical services. The ELCA (often) has a more elaborately symbolic liturgical service. In neither are people particularly formally dressed, but in the Wisconsin synod pews people are dressed as if they were more serious.

The Wisconsin synod was where my theories of Church Pants were crystallized, when my crazy cousin, over the bourbon and stories, said she had to wear them- and the next morning there she was in all her black panted glory. And so were most of the men. I was in a blue jacket and white incotex, once again one of the outsiders.

i10casual

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I think I get it now. The church is on the "better" side of town and most of the other men I see look well off. I see this as a way to possible opportunities in my daily business life. I just don't want to dress too over the top or too casual. I would prefer a dress shirt and chinos with quoddy mocs and a manly cardigan. It is Sunday morning...

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by i10casual
Thanks for all the advice. I think I get it now. The church is on the "better" side of town and most of the other men I see look well off. I see this as a way to possible opportunities in my daily business life. I just don't want to dress too over the top or too casual. I would prefer a dress shirt and chinos with quoddy mocs and a manly cardigan. It is Sunday morning...

Why do so many people post on this board asking for advice and then just completely ignore it?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
I should take a picture of the dress code sign at my church. They have three pictures of inappropiate dress for females which consists of short shorts, miniskirts & bare midriffs. Inappropiate attire for a guy consists of swim trunks and not wearing a shirt.

crazy-cabbie-caveman-dragging-woman-by-hair-in-hoboken.jpg

UncivilizedThoughts

Reaction score
I'd say wear something that is respectful so no "graphic" graphic tees but at the same time you want to make sure you're dressed appropriately for the remainder of the day. Once church is finished you'll probably do something extra curricular so a respectable dress shirt and khakis should do the trick.
Hope this helps!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was raised in a household where we dressed for dinner, even at home, so suiting up for church wasn't any big deal. I married a Missouri Synod preacher's kid, and quickly was taught that God doesn't really much care what his flock is wearing.

Dress to hit the high-middle of the anticipated congregation: don't stick out for your casualness nor for your stuffiness.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I was raised in a household where we dressed for dinner, even at home,
That sounds so surreal, so everybody would go change when dinner is about to start, then 20 or so minutes later when the meal was done they'd change back into normal clothes? I've heard of that in movies, I just never visualized it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads