• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guide to Wet Shaving

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
How do you people manage to fit something this huge under your nose ?
By that I mean, how do you shave the area under your nostrils ?

I have one of those, it's not a problem if you use a good angle, I shave with one of those on occasion but truthfully prefer my 40's SS for shaving.

Cognacad

Reaction score

Have.you.seen.one.before?

I.was.surprised.how.small.it.was.when.I.saw.it.out.of.the.box
Really.tiny!

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
Have.you.seen.one.before?

I.was.surprised.how.small.it.was.when.I.saw.it.out.of.the.box
Really.tiny!

The DTesque urge to say "That's what she said" if pretty unbearable.

But yeah its smaller than you'd expect.

hedgehog

Reaction score

[Picture of a Gillette Fatboy that has been quoted enough for this page]

I stumbled over one of those in a thrift store for a very reasonable price. The big head has been to some nuisance, and is probably the cause of me not using it a lot. It's a fun razor, but I much prefer my Merkur HD. Anyways, shaving under the nose wasn't that much more of a trouble to me with that one. I just bend my nose out of the way for shaving on either side of it. Then I might do a diagonal pass, and perhaps a sideways pass. Also, doing sort of a hook-motion starting with the head of the razor pointing upwards right under the nose, and scooping along the curve is a nice trick.

stevejack

Reaction score
Suddenly got interested in what my bro-in-law calls "the gourmet shaving experience," and after learning much from various forums and experiments, posted a comprehensive guide for the beginner, with many links. The main benefit of going this route (at least for me) is that I actually look forward to shaving each morning instead of viewing it as a routine chore. YMMV. At any rate, if you're interested, this will give you plenty of info.

pinchi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevejack
The main benefit of going this route (at least for me) is that I actually look forward to shaving each morning instead of viewing it as a routine chore.

I couldn´t agree more.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
Haha the two razors I showed you were not the same I think! One of them was the HD Classic, the other one was just the "Classic". I will get the long HD I guess, barber poll.

NVM: I will just get the http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...estyleforum-20

I'm going to order this one and see how I like it.

Where's the best place to order the derby blades?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
I'm going to order this one and see how I like it.

Where's the best place to order the derby blades?

Ebay seller derby-exclusive has a sale now, 500 blades for 50 bucks. Buy two packages of 200 blades for 50 and get 100 blades free.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Ebay seller derby-exclusive has a sale now, 500 blades for 50 bucks. Buy two packages of 200 blades for 50 and get 100 blades free.

Jesus I only bought 200 blades in one shot and a full day's growth ran away in fear when I opened the package. 500 blades must be like having your face lasered.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
Jesus I only bought 200 blades in one shot and a full day's growth ran away in fear when I opened the package. 500 blades must be like having your face lasered.

I bought batches of 200 that would last me about 2 years, but once I moved in with my gf, and she started shaving her legs with a DE, those blades don't last nearly as long now heh.

boxdiver

Reaction score
I need to just stick with it.

I bought my Merkur several months back. I reviewed the videos regularly, but I still cut the heck out of my neck. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Many people say not to put any pressure and to let the blade do all the work...but I guess I just can't see how that's done. I've since gone back to my Mach 3 while using the shaving brush still. I'm ready to go back though. But I'm afraid
frown.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The neck is always the most difficult part to shave, just stick with it.

boxdiver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
The neck is always the most difficult part to shave, just stick with it.

What's the secret?

I've read to go full with the grain, then full against.

For example I will go straight down on my entire neck, but I don't even get the chance to go against it gets so ripped up.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Practice and as light a touch as possible.

Of course, no pressure, only use the weight of the razor. Also, you may consider paying more attention to the angle the blade meets your face.

A good way to feel that out is when you placing the razor to your face, make contact with the safety bar only (the little bar on the head of the razor directly beneath the blade), then slowly raise the handle of the razor, lowering the blade to your skin. Starting out with the bar then adjusting the angle that way will mean less chance of shaving with too aggressive an angle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads