• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3943538052_229fa2145a.jpg

3943537366_f6a39f4daa.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Very nice.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stagg has arrived!

3967158709_7533d18303.jpg

I hardly ever open stuff the day I get it, but Stagg is an exception. So chewy and chocolaty. A must buy in my opinion!

(cross posted in bourbon)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Grabbed a few things today. The first, I bought just to get the leather bag:

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

Yes, that's an 06 Caymus Special Select. Release price, $160, WS rating of 94. I'll let you know what I think of it in another 5-10 years!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I had the 1994 Caymus about 8-9 months ago. Nice, as expected, but I thought the 1994 Insignia had aged much better.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
A bottle of Remy VSOP, for cocktails, and a bottle of walnut liqueur. I plan to make a drink known as The Angel's Share this weekend. 1 1/4oz Louis 13th 3/4oz walnut liqueur 1/2oz port 1/8oz Chartreuse I plan to make one with Louis, and one with the VSOP.
Louis 13th? That is....incredibly decadent!
Originally Posted by ama
+ like.... a lot on the Crag, the Pappy, and the Parker.
Originally Posted by ama
Stagg has arrived! I hardly ever open stuff the day I get it, but Stagg is an exception. So chewy and chocolaty. A must buy in my opinion! (cross posted in bourbon)
Me wanty the Stagg. PDC made a drink called the Staggerac for a while that I really wanted to try....
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Grabbed a few things today. The first, I bought just to get the leather bag: Yes, that's an 06 Caymus Special Select. Release price, $160, WS rating of 94. I'll let you know what I think of it in another 5-10 years!
Nice bag, Fee Bros, R&W, and my my my Caymus! And Genevieve! Tell me what you think of it -- I haven't found something that really works with it an I as of yet. (OK, it's good in a gin Alexander, but it's a lame end for it). ~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Nice bag, Fee Bros, R&W, and my my my Caymus! And Genevieve! Tell me what you think of it -- I haven't found something that really works with it an I as of yet. (OK, it's good in a gin Alexander, but it's a lame end for it).

~ H

Well, I put the juice of half a lime in a huge tumbler, some Genevieve, then tonic. Huh. Oily is the term I want to use. Very, very not 21st century gin.

What's your Alexander recipe?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think the Genevers go over well in the classic sort of cocktails we'd use a London Dry in -- genever is the gin for cocktails of old. And I mean old. Even the Martinez (I believe ) is new enough to have used Old Tom (a sweetened London Dry). Genever is straight up Jerry Thomas stuff. As for the Alexander -- easy enough: 1:1:1 Gin, dark creme de cacao (Kahlua is even fine), 1/2&1/2, and a good few drops bitters. Shake hard, strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with cinnamon (I use true cinnamon, not cassia, for this, as it is fruitier and less, well, cinnamon-y). My bitters also have a profound cinnamon topnote -- VTR house bitters, in fact. Some use heavy cream which gets quite thick with the shaking, but I am afraid for my arteries and do not. ~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Yeah I don't think the Genevers go over well in the classic sort of cocktails we'd use a London Dry in -- genever is the gin for cocktails of old. And I mean old. Even the Martinez (I believe ) is new enough to have used Old Tom (a sweetened London Dry). Genever is straight up Jerry Thomas stuff.

As for the Alexander -- easy enough: 1:1:1 Gin, dark creme de cacao (Kahlua is even fine), 1/2&1/2, and a good few drops bitters. Shake hard, strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with cinnamon (I use true cinnamon, not cassia, for this, as it is fruitier and less, well, cinnamon-y). My bitters also have a profound cinnamon topnote -- VTR house bitters, in fact.

Some use heavy cream which gets quite thick with the shaking, but I am afraid for my arteries and do not.

~ H

Thanks. I'll give that a try next weekend. Yes, this is going to be hard to fit into a cocktail, but it's interesting to have, in an academic fashion.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Case of weyerbacher's "blithering Idiot" barley wine style Ale and another of Stoudts Double IPA

dl

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I just scored. Got an email from Sea Smoke, on a limited number of magnum two packs, first come, first served. Logged in at work and bought myself a two pack
smile.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Speaking of, a friend at work offered me some of his Kosta Brown allocation. I probably won't bite at $72 a bottle, but it's nice to have a source.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Speaking of, a friend at work offered me some of his Kosta Brown allocation. I probably won't bite at $72 a bottle, but it's nice to have a source.

frown.gif
The only wait list I haven't managed to get off of thanks to this recession. I'd buy a couple bottles, if I was you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads