• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

splattered

Reaction score
That site says NS have an 11" thigh? That would be loose on me... context says 10" or close to it. Which is it? I'm still on the fence over NS haha ... they have a 14" hem? Man thats way more tapered than i've ever worn in jeans... i've been sporting a slight bootcut for so long. Ugh. Can't make up mah miiiiiind.
confused.gif

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
That site says NS have an 11" thigh? That would be loose on me... context says 10" or close to it. Which is it? I'm still on the fence over NS haha ... they have a 14" hem? Man thats way more tapered than i've ever worn in jeans... i've been sporting a slight bootcut for so long. Ugh. Can't make up mah miiiiiind.
confused.gif

Jesus, there's a reason everyone in town says she's a nice girl. You've dated her and married her before you've even taken her out on a date. Just ask her out, boy. She'll be nice to ya.

Sigmatic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
confused.gif

FWIW every pair of denim i've bought from Context has been spot on measurement-wise, and i believe they update measuremts with every shipment. APC are slightly different each time.

you could always call and get measurements on the phone though, then have them send you that exact pair of jeans...

BareSolid

Reaction score
So what do I do about hemming the jeans? Do I just hem them to my actual leg length? Or do I turn them up at the bottom until I get to washing them, and then hem them after shrinkage?

DaSteez

Reaction score
Whatup, could I get hookups to site that sell lvc's and samurais plz?

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know specific jean models that would be good for somebody with moderately (24") sized quads? Looking at brands like samurai, nudie, kmw, etc.

I have a pair of samurai s710xx, however I them bought a size too small, and the fit was pretty sweet until my legs got bigger from squatting.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaSteez
Whatup, could I get hookups to site that sell lvc's and samurais plz?
for LVCs you can go to oi polloi. with VAT, you get 20% so it evens out the shipping fees from the uk. for samurais, blue in green will have 'em.

shaftoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
Does anybody know specific jean models that would be good for somebody with moderately (24") sized quads? Looking at brands like samurai, nudie, kmw, etc.

I have a pair of samurai s710xx, however I them bought a size too small, and the fit was pretty sweet until my legs got bigger from squatting.

Waist size? I have a 33" waist and 24" thighs. KMW 1950s are my top jean right now. Samurai will have cuts for you as well. Check out the measurements at Blue in Green.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear 32 tagged waist, 36 actual. Do you have any specific samurai recs, specifically one with mid/low rise? Any rag and bone stuff?

hchc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
So what do I do about hemming the jeans? Do I just hem them to my actual leg length? Or do I turn them up at the bottom until I get to washing them, and then hem them after shrinkage?
I have 2 pairs of ns both from context... hemmed both and both look good still

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach

I have a 30-31" waist with 23" thighs from squatting, Kiya suggested to me Flat Head 05BSG's

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Don't spend on any more Nudie until you give the APC a try. You'll be glad you did.

You can't really go wrong with the latest GAP '1969' raw stuff, which is decent for the price. So is the new raw 'slim' button-fly stuff from Jcrew for $98. Almost picked up some myself.

Also, have some fun with some Levis 501 shrink-to-fit. Always great for a raw denim experience, totally risk-free price-wise, and they'll pick up pretty decent fades, especially if you wear them for work and really wear them.

But try APC and you probably won't look back. I now consider my pairs my cheaper 'work' stuff.

...considering some levi 501 shrink to fit. Instructions seem to be all over the place online on forums... buy 1 size larger in the waist and 2-3 inches longer inseam to allow for stretch? get 1 smaller than true waist size for a skinnier fit? Wear/dont wear them in the tub... soak for 20mins-2 hours hot/cold water? blargh.

Dynasty

Reaction score
I want to buy some quality jeans. I usually wear American Eagle, Nautica, and Wrangler, but I am ready to step up to quality jeans. I do not want raw denim. What should I be looking at with my budget of $150 per pair? I know it is not a lot, but I believe I can get a decent increase in terms of quality compared to what I'm currently wearing. I'm currently in college where not that many people care about wearing quality clothing, so I don't need super expensive/top brand. Would I be getting decent quality with J. Crew, Gap, Levi, and Banana Republic? Or should I be looking at Diesel, Acne, Rock and Republic, and APC? Just looking for some guidance and recommendations.

I appreciate your input and help.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dynasty
I want to buy some quality jeans. I usually wear American Eagle, Nautica, and Wrangler, but I am ready to step up to quality jeans. I do not want raw denim. What should I be looking at with my budget of $150 per pair? I know it is not a lot, but I believe I can get a decent increase in terms of quality compared to what I'm currently wearing. I'm currently in college where not that many people care about wearing quality clothing, so I don't need super expensive/top brand. Would I be getting decent quality with J. Crew, Gap, Levi, and Banana Republic? Or should I be looking at Diesel, Acne, Rock and Republic, and APC? Just looking for some guidance and recommendations.

I appreciate your input and help.

just save money and go with levis. they make decent washes and almost surely have a model that will work for you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads