• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I Crazy? Reality Check Needed...

wannabefree

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I created this alter ego so that what I say under this persona cannot be attributed to the me you all know and love (or not).

Here's the story: I am in my late 20's and I have a secure job with a high salary ($200K+). I also live in an expensive part of the country. However, I, like many of my colleagues, hate the job. Hint: finance / legal. I've been at it for a few years and over time, my perspective towards life has changed drastically. I used to be driven by money, desire for success, etc. Now I recognize there's more to life than I thought. I realized that I was slowing becoming someone I didn't like.

While I had been thinking of quitting for awhile, I was able to overcome my mental hurdle this summer and finally decide to do it. Since then, I have been actively brainstorming ideas for new businesses. However, I soon realized that most of my ideas either (1) required more capital than I was willing to lay on the line or (2) did not pique too much of an interest.

I was discouraged until I thought of software development. As long as I'm not doing it for someone else, I think I could do it long term. Also, it is easier for a single person to develop for smaller platforms, like mobile phones or the web. The cherry is that this "business" does not require any capital outlay at all.

I don't expect to make much money, so I will be living off my savings. I will have $200K in cash and $100K in retirement money when I plan to leave. Fortunately, no debt. I figure I could get a roommate to save money and more importantly for the social aspect. My lifestyle will not take a huge hit -- rent and eating out will be the biggest cuts. Barring significant inflation, I could live off my savings for 8 years. I could even try to make some money on the side.

But man, I would be giving up a toooon of opportunity cost. At least a few million, unless I miraculously hit the jackpot. But, if not now, when will I ever get to throw caution to the wind? I'm not sure of my chances, but I am fairly confident that if this gig does not work out, I can work at a company for slightly less pay than I am getting now. But I am not 100% sure.

Has anyone done this before? Thrown away a successful and high-paying job to chase freedom or a fantasy? Am I overreacting and should I tough it out?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why not start the software job on the side, get it going before you quit

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Yes, do it.
I once had a job where I earned $600,000 a year. That doesn't include the incentive based bonuses. I quit that long ago and now work 80 hours a week for free. I am so much happier. Come to the dark side.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I once had a job where I earned $600,000 a year. I quit that long ago.

Wut?? Your so dumb.

wannabefree

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
why not start the software job on the side, get it going before you quit
Yeah, that's kind of the plan. To learn the language and platforms before I quit.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yes, do it. I once had a job where I earned $600,000 a year. That doesn't include the incentive based bonuses. I quit that long ago and now work 80 hours a week for free. I am so much happier. Come to the dark side.
Are you living off your savings? Did you still hang out with your former co-workers or was it difficult to relate to them after you left?

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Join the Peace Corps - you'll have 2 years to contemplate your next move while giving back to society.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Can you play the guitar, Metro? You could be another naked cowboy guy. Or better yet learn to play the koto before quitting your day job and be naked samurai guy.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Go for it Metro. I'd move out of NYC first though. Way too expensive to be living salary free. Take your show on the road and move some place that sounds interesting/enjoyable. You're welcome to come with me on my "Get the **** out of the US and see the world" tour next year.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Can you play the guitar, Metro? You could be another naked cowboy guy. Or better yet learn to play the koto before quitting your day job and be naked samurai guy.

Or he could just find a partner and become one of these guys:

kung_fu_hustle_harpists_attack.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Metro, move to Chicago and go to culinary school. Eventually, Matt will buy you dinner.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabefree
Yeah, that's kind of the plan. To learn the language and platforms before I quit.

Are you living off your savings? Did you still hang out with your former co-workers or was it difficult to relate to them after you left?

Erm, so you're not even a programmer and don't even know if you have an aptitude there? Software, like anything else, becomes mundane. Try working on the same project and same code for 2 years. Eventually you're just like ****, unless perhaps it's something really cool like games or guidance systems for missles. And unless you're really really awesome, you won't earn all that much money. Plus software is super-easy to outsource, which is fine if you're doing your own thing, but realize that even if you're just doing web & database stuff to pay the bills you're going to have people from india undercutting you a lot of the time.

Oh, and to be a really good programmer, you need to make a serious time commitment. It would probably take you a year to learn one language really well, if you're good at it. If you're really interested, get yourself into a CS program.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
Or he could just find a partner and become one of these guys:

kung_fu_hustle_harpists_attack.jpg

Yeah, kinda like an Asian "Blue man Group". Could be very lucrative!

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Join the Peace Corps - you'll have 2 years to contemplate your next move while giving back to society.

Actually, this is not a bad idea. Not as good as being the next caucasian Charlie Chan but still pretty good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads