• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Why the breast pocket? For a pocket square? The gathering thing on the back makes it looks like womanly. Short jackets make slim people look curvy, and that kind of thing accentuates it.

What's wrong with a Schott? Maybe I am missing the boat with this.

I didn't even catch that. It is a bit odd.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchc
looks too big in the chest/shoulder for you... should try taking a fit pic with something bulky like a sweater underneath and the sleeves need to be tailored

I don't see too big in the chest at all. In my opinion, you want some breathing room for a coat so you can function for every day activities and to give you the option of layering it in winter. Some of you guys are too set on an overly tight fit on everything. Besides the shoulders seem to be where they should.

Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Sleeves are too long. Rest of it might be ok with a thickish sweater underneath.

Agreed on sleeves too long, that's about my only issue with the fit for this coat on you, jimmy

Exit English

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the cropped coat. You should hold off and try to get a nice double breasted pea coat that goes down to just above the knees. This jacket just looks like a double breasted jacket and not like a pea coat at all.

jimmy c

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
What's wrong with a Schott? Maybe I am missing the boat with this.

i did look at schott's but was put off by the 20-25% acrylic content and the logo on the coat (on the ones i could find anyway.

maybe i shouldn't have used the word 'pea' in the title, i agree that it is just more of a short coat. the traditional pea coat style has a tendancy to look a bit boxy on me. plus my only coat options prior to this were two knee length coats so i deliberately wanted something shorter.

the slight gathering at the back is due to two cynch straps on the side which have the option of being fastened to two different buttons, and i've currently got them put on to the tighter of the two. the other option of course would be to size down and not tighten the cynch. goodness. very complicated.

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
My analysis is not that it doesn't fit (based on shoulders) but that the cut that particularly striking; I wouldn't look twice at it on the street. It's not something I would go for, but I say if you like it, keep it. Based on your jeans, you tend towards a more relaxed fit. Not a bad thing, but not the style of many on this forum.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go back to Oli's and try the smaller size with a medium weight jumper (I'm sure they have some there). If its not uncomfortable with more layers underneath then I would take the smaller size. I'm not sure if this was meant for sub-zero temps so I don't think its cut for a lot of layering underneath. It looks a little big for how its supposed to fit, I think. I think its a good-looking coat nonetheless.

JOoa0ky

Reaction score
How warm is the authentic?

The classic is 32oz while the authentic is 24oz... just wondering if the authentic is warm enough to not layer, or is layering necessary?

AHShadow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
You can certainly fit a shirt underneath, but with a sweater or hoodie it may be real snug depending on how heavy of a material you're wearing.

Link?

I would go with a 32, and maybe even in Short given your height.

Well usually my sweaters would be a Vneck sweater and my hoodie would be an AA one. Also, is there any side pockets? Since I can't seem to see them.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just put in the order for a sterlingwear 34XL.

I hope it comes in two weeks and not 6-8 weeks.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AHShadow
Well usually my sweaters would be a Vneck sweater and my hoodie would be an AA one. Also, is there any side pockets? Since I can't seem to see them.
Yes, two side pockets higher up on the chest.

Originally Posted by wagthesam
Just put in the order for a sterlingwear 34XL.

I hope it comes in two weeks and not 6-8 weeks.

If they have it in stock it shouldn't take that long. I received mine in about two weeks.

AHShadow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
Yes, two side pockets higher up on the chest.
Ahh, thanks. Didn't see it. What would be the next-level peacoat after Sterlingwear? Just wondering for the difference in price and quality.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really depends on what you're looking for. I personally prefer an authentic pea coat sans the zippers, straps, and whatnot designers tend to add but of course you also get the better fit and quality that comes with it. I wouldn't wear my pea coat enough to justify paying more than what I already have.

h8erade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zanthony
Any advice on Sterlingwear sizing for someone with a 42" chest and a 36" waist?

I'm about 42" chest and 35" waist. I have a size 40 USN issued pea coat made by Sterlingwear that I got from army/navy surplus that fits me pretty perfectly - comfortable and full range of motion but pretty well fitted. The Authentic looks, well, authentic and exactly like traditional Navy issued pea coat so that would get my vote.

richjustin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this question has probably been asked several times, but I am thinking of getting an inapt peacoat. I am 5'8 125 lbs, skinny guy. I've never bought a jacket or shirt in medium, regularly a small, sometimes xs and I like my clothes fitted, so I'm a bit skeptical. Help anyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads