• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of nice gloves...?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
Also I have found this maker (inspired by another thread were "vox" mentioned it- looks nice, too)..

http://www.madova.com/

I've used Madova for a long time. They make wonderful gloves.

You might also look into lemon chamois gloves when you visit your Viennese glovemakers. You might find the traditional exoticism of such a material interesting.

Putting on a pair of unlined, tightly fitting but supple gloves is one of the special small pleasures of life that make any day better.

When I see other men galumphing around in their paw-like, stubby, "cashmere" lined gloves, I always think how sad it is to face the winter wearing oven mitts.

- B

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do Madova gloves compare to Chester Jefferies gloves?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do these Pecarry gloves hold up in terms of warmth?

I've yet to find a pair of gloves that keep my fingers from going numb in the winter.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of my gloves...
CIMG0385.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
How do Madova gloves compare to Chester Jefferies gloves?

That's hard to say. Are Chester Jeffries very nice?

I feel that the most important thing separating a very good glove from a superb one is that the superb one is cut and sewn for your fingers and hands. In other words, a custom glove, made to your measurements.

French glovemakers like Hermès and Lavabre-Cadet probably set the standard. I think that Madovas come close, but do not uniformly use as exceptional skins.

The OP local access to good gloves, as RJ notes earlier, so he might as well start there.

Tight and fitted: that's the way good gloves should be.

Originally Posted by triniboy27
How do these Pecarry gloves hold up in terms of warmth?

I've yet to find a pair of gloves that keep my fingers from going numb in the winter.

Among the collection of Madova that I have are unlined wild peccary gloves, both sueded and also finished. They are much warmer than unlined calf.

That being said, it is unreasonable to expect any dress glove to keep your fingers warm if it is truly cold. You need the loft and airspace that only an ugly glove or mitten can give.

- B

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

I feel that the most important thing separating a very good glove from a superb one is that the superb one is cut and sewn for your fingers and hands. In other words, a custom glove, made to your measurements.

French glovemakers like Hermès and Lavabre-Cadet probably set the standard. I think that Madovas come close, but do not uniformly use as exceptional skins.

The OP local access to good gloves, as RJ notes earlier, so he might as well start there.

Tight and fitted: that's the way good gloves should be.

Among the collection of Madova that I have are unlined wild peccary gloves, both sueded and also finished. They are much warmer than unlined calf.

That being said, it is unreasonable to expect any dress glove to keep your fingers warm if it is truly cold. You need the loft and airspace that only an ugly glove or mitten can give.

- B

+ lots

Nice gloves are fine for the "shoulder" seasons around here, but a good pair of mittens is a must for scraping ice off the car in the dark ...
cold[1].gif

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score

- B

Don't know that I agree.

Though not dress gloves strictly speaking, there are 2 pairs of non-athletic, non-ugly gloves which are warm in even the most brutal of city temperatures (New England winters).

1. Fur-lined deerskin gloves
2. Shearling gloves

Both can be handsewn and wonderful.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd say so. They aren't perfect, perhaps, but they make very nice gloves. This, from the Chester Jeffries thread, is accurate in my experience:

Originally Posted by whoopee
They do a solid job making slightly rustic, well-fitting gloves. I would err on the tighter size of self-measurements as they will stretch a bit. Also, pay the nominal extra for the hand-stitching.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I'm a big fan of my gloves...
CIMG0385.jpg

Stazy: I'm with you and vox there: I also don't like mittens: neither for skiing and arctic temperatures, nor for anything else, actually (maybe if I were to be in the Ant-arctic, then I'd reconsider)...I'm also always buying several pairs of woolen gloves in many colours (brown, green, blue, grey) every year that I will soon destroy by either making holes in them (cause I carry heavy bags normally filled with lots of books) or I'll buy some Langos and they'll smell of garlic afterwards and I'll have to throw them away, then .
wink.gif
Yeah, anyway I'll probably also buy some lambswool-lined ones for colde weather, in addition...will go shopping for them this or next week (maybe will post pics then if I can manage)-we have incredibly high temps here these days like in Italy, in fact (~23°C or even more in the sun at noon)...

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I'd say so. They aren't perfect, perhaps, but they make very nice gloves. This, from the Chester Jeffries thread, is accurate in my experience:
I have a pair of Chester Jefferies MTO in cashmere-lined capeskin. The capeskin stretched A LOT. I also once got my hand stuck to some packing tape and it completely pulled the pigment off of that spot on the gloves. Size was nothing special, but that was probably due to my poor measuring of my own hand. Lining was only available in 80/20 cashmere-virgin wool blend b/c they said 100pct cashmere lining is too delicate and wears through, so they don't stock it. Rating: 5 or 6 out of 10 relative to the quality I expected after reading about them on AAAC and SF. Nothing any more special than the $80 cashmere-lined handsewn gloves they sell at any menswear shop, from BB to J.Press. That said, they also cost only $80 delivered to the US. Certainly not the quality of, say, these Dents. http://www.dents.co.uk/products/51/M...ther-Glove.asp

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Gentlemen -

I cannot travel to have my gloves made especially for me using my measurements. Do any companies accept outlines of one's hands on a paper as a way of measure? Are the companies that accept this worthwhile to pursue?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123

That sounds pretty good...they do also do made to measure, right?

Probably not quite as nice the ones that Lavabre-Cadet did for Fifi Chachnil...ooo la la.

- B

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Gentlemen -

I cannot travel to have my gloves made especially for me using my measurements. Do any companies accept outlines of one's hands on a paper as a way of measure? Are the companies that accept this worthwhile to pursue?

Chester Jefferies does just this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads