• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do my suits need a tapered leg?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I have really small feet. I wear a size 8 US and while almost all of my suits pants are a size 30 waist the leg openings eat up quite a bit of my shoes. The Laces are generally hidden...the look reminds me of wide legged women's pants...I am not really sure what to do about this. The pants fit me perfectly through the leg, it just looks wrong at the bottom...is there anything wrong with getting the leg tapered?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like your ratio is that far off... you should be able to go find some slimmer pants to try on somewhere to get a sense of whether that's a look you like. It sounds to me like the pants you're wearing are "mom" pants.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
...what should I do with my current suit pants though? ...is it really that much of faux pas?

meauounji

Reaction score
I get most my pant legs tailored to 8.5" across at the hem. I wear a size 9US shoes. That doesn't mean yours is wrong. 8.5" width to size 9 is a personal preference of mine, and vary depending on shoe styles and pant styles.

What I'm saying is, if it seems too wide, go get one tapered and see how you like it. Tell your tailor not to cut out any material he doesn't have to so you can undo the change if you hate it.

infamousk

Reaction score
Yeah, go try them on when tapered than if you enjoy them.
keep them.
if not get the untapered.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might make as much sense to change your shoe style. For example, how about an extended toe?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
It might make as much sense to change your shoe style. For example, how about an extended toe?

Who makes shoes with an "extended toe"?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a better answer can be determined if we know how tall are you.

uzairh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear the same size pants and shoes as you. My pants that I currently wear are mostly about 17-19 cm across at the hem; I make sure they are slim fit to begin with so the whole leg is slimmer.

If your pants are covering the shoes too much, you could get them altered. Just don't have too much of a taper or else it will all look bad.

A photo would be more helpful in seeing the issue...

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
I am 5'7''

Seeing that I'm 5'7" as well (with a 8.5 shoe size), I would agree with a 8.5" opening.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? What is your budget? That would make it much easier to narrow down the possibilities for shoes that would visually lengthen your feet.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Seeing that I'm 5'7" as well (with a 8.5 shoe size), I would agree with a 8.5" opening.

I, too, am 5'7'' with an 8.5, and have a modest range of leg widths. It should partly be tailored to the shoe; a too-full leg might swallow a penny loafer, whereas a too-narrow leg can give the aquatic wildlife effect. A gentle taper is a fine thing, so long as it's not overdone.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
amplifiedheat you are right. we must be careful of what we ask for, or we just might get it.
a good way to make this judgement would be this. pin the cuff at the back crease so as to make the opening smaller. then put on the trousers and check the front . when you get it right, measure it, or you can give to the tailor like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads