• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blast from the past: "The Neapolitan 'Sartoria' Experience"

kcc

Reaction score
I remember this essay well, still an intriguing read today. Don't recall the c. publication date, however.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Thanks vox, that was a great read.

I'm pretty sure the title was "The Neapolitan 'Sartoria' Experience", not "The One and Only Unique Neapolitan 'Sartoria' Experience that cannot be found Anywhere Else".

As rapper Snoop Dogg's Huggy Bear character in Starsky & Hutch (the movie from 2004 that takes place in 1975) would say, I can dig whatcher sayin' apropos.

That being said, the title for this topic should have been "The Italian 'Sartoria' Experience" as that what it really is. After all, all Italian bespoke tailoring is equally good and excellent overall. You dig?
smile.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you ever get to visit Ambrosi in Naples, you'll get an experience like what is described.

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Certainly made my day...I think I'll read it again sipping a second ristretto...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderful post. Refinement arises from decadence

An old Maestro told me that many decades ago, when he was a young apprentice, most of the best customers belonged to the old Bourbon aristocracy and they had a lot of time to amuse themselves in the "sartoria" because they were not supposed to be personally involved in any kind of professional occupation (labour belonged to the bourgeois middle class and to the poor members of the working class). The affluent gentlemen of the high Neapolitan society used to spend endless hours perfecting their exclusive wardrobes down to the tiniest details, and they literally "trained" generations of tailors to work in a finical, exacting manner and to seal into their bespoke suits the patrician allure and the appetite for perfection of their aristocratic customers.

Many members of the Neapolitan gentry grew so affectionate to their custom tailors that they used to say (of couse in Neapolitan dialect) : "E' mane 'n cuollo m'e ponno mettere sulamente mugliereme e o' sarto" ("I allow only my wife and my tailor to touch me .")
That's how - through decades of countless, endless fitting sessions - the elusive, aristocratic style that is known as the "Neapolitan cut" came to life.

Anyone who remembers the the Marcello Mastroianni
roles in Marriage Italian Style (1964) ( Naples), and Divorce Italian Style(1961)( Sicily),
will see the archetype of the original Neapolitan tailoring client.

LeonM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
And people wonder why we moan about how Andy's used to be.

Indeed.

Leon

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great read...

Now if there was a Neapolitan RTW tailor that was more affordable, I'd be a happy camper.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Great read...

Now if there was a Neapolitan RTW tailor that was more affordable, I'd be a happy camper.

Sartoria Partenopea?

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
there are a lot of affordable, very good Neapolitan bespoke tailors.

some names, per favore!

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
there are a lot of affordable, very good Neapolitan bespoke tailors.

I know there's Solito, but $2800 is still quite steep for me. I can always wait for an Isaia sample sale, I guess.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
There is a natural tendancy to view tailored clothes as a product or object. It is that, of course. But, what I enjoy so much about what Filangieri wrote is that he describes (somewhat romantically, but why not?) clothing as experience, process, and a social activity.

No matter how much you might want it to be otherwise, it seems unlikely to me that what he describes can really serve any clientele other than what history formed those tailors to do: make clothes for discerning locals of leisure.

When I read about American clients taking delivery of their Neopolitan bespoke garments without even one fitting, or stuff disappearing into Alitalia flights, I suppose that I conclude that something intrinsic and important to how the art is practiced there is missing. Maybe the objects...the clothes...are still as good. I wouldn't know. But how wonderful it must be to be a local customer of this tailoring tradition.

What do you guys think?

- B

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
There is a natural tendancy to view tailored clothes as a product or object. It is that, of course. But, what I enjoy so much about what Filangieri wrote is that he describes (somewhat romantically, but why not?) clothing as experience, process, and a social activity. No matter how much you might want it to be otherwise, it seems unlikely to me that what he describes can really serve any clientele other than what history formed those tailors to do: make clothes for discerning locals of leisure. When I read about American clients taking delivery of their Neopolitan bespoke garments without even one fitting, or stuff disappearing into Alitalia flights, I suppose that I conclude that something intrinsic and important to how the art is practiced there is missing. Maybe the objects...the clothes...are still as good. I wouldn't know. But how wonderful it must be to be a local customer of this tailoring tradition. What do you guys think? - B
You can't go home again, but that doesn't mean there is nothing worthwhile about life in the new place. Alitalia aside, there is something fun about the intersection of the internet, airplanes, Naples, NY and tailoring, and the fact that it is being done by a new generation of Neapolitan tailors and a new generation of customers makes it all the more interesting. One kind of relationship is gone, but in the old days Salvatore and Foo couldn't have been such good friends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads