• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

hi-val

Reaction score
I have a white v-neck from JC in XS that fits like a cardboard box. I hot-soaked it several times and ran it through a hot dryer too, which made it manageable. Know that their sizing on sweaters is the boxiest I've ever encountered. However, the cotton-cashmere cardigan fits really well and didn't need any shrinking. I suppose it's a crapshoot. Both sweaters are very succeptible to pooching out at the elbows, making the sweater's arms look distorted.

Since people are talking about Banana Republic sweaters, I'll share my experience with an XS burnt-orange one. The fit is great but I was VERY displeased with their merino wool yarn. The second time I wore the sweater, I noticed pilling on the bottom of the forearms of the sweater, the sign of low-quality yarn. It's soft and fits well, but I am annoyed that it was obviously not built to last, especially considering I get compliments on it whenever I wear it.

At the moment, I am at this impasse where I haven't found any store that has XS sweaters in a cut and style that I like, but I also have enough sweaters now that I don't want for any new ones.

synovoid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Yea if I remember correctly it's suede. It was alright but if I'm going to buy some big ass-kicking mountain logger work boots that I'm going to sludge through dirt, mud, rain etc I don't want suede. It just didn't look right either, suede should be used for casual/dressy wear. If you're going to baby them and like the style then I guess it's ok because the color aint bad.

thanks! try see if I still can get the hickory color. the color is sold out on J Crew site.

amnesiac

Reaction score
So I got a millerain in S (I usually wear jcrew s) but the fit is just weird. At the bottom of the jacket it's weirdly tapered and at the chest it billows a bit. The arm holes are low, the shoulders fit alright but the sleeves are really long, whole thing is weird. I can't decide if i want to keep it and just wear it relaxed or sell it since i'm past returning. I really like the green color, especially all the different hues in the light, but ugh. how does it fit for everyone else?

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
So I got a millerain in S (I usually wear jcrew s) but the fit is just weird. At the bottom of the jacket it's weirdly tapered and at the chest it billows a bit. The arm holes are low, the shoulders fit alright but the sleeves are really long, whole thing is weird. I can't decide if i want to keep it and just wear it relaxed or sell it since i'm past returning. I really like the green color, especially all the different hues in the light, but ugh. how does it fit for everyone else?

It fits me the exact same way. It reminds me of a ski jacket. Like the one that Pierce Brosnon wore in one of James Bond movies when him and the hot chick skied down the mountain. I opted for this Waxed Cotton jacket from Martim and Osa. It runs true-to-size, if not slightly large.

lilcram

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tried searching all over the forum but can't find anything.

I'm getting a pair of Red Wing rugged classic boots. I'm a true size 10.5 some shoes i wear a 10 and sneakers sometimes 11.

Do i get them in 9.5 or 10?

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilcram

I'm getting a pair of Red Wing rugged classic boots. I'm a true size 10.5 some shoes i wear a 10 and sneakers sometimes 11.

From what I've read a lot of places, general rule is to size down .5 from your dress shoe size.

lilcram

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i'm thinking 9.5 to be safe

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilcram

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads