• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Felons Allowed to Practice Law?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
this is a bizarre question, but how about non fraud related felonies that do not result in jail time? things like a DUI?

A DUI usually doesn't get you disbarred. If it did, there'd be a heck of a lot less practicing attorneys in this country because, as a profession, we have one of the highest rates (if not the highest) of alcoholics.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
A DUI usually doesn't get you disbarred. If it did, there'd be a heck of a lot less practicing attorneys in this country because, as a profession, we have one of the highest rates (if not the highest) of alcoholics.

I have seen this claimed elsewhere. If you have beat out film editors, that is impressive / horrifying.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can felons practice law? Sure, until they get caught.

I'm sure somebody beat me to this one.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Nurses. Oh man, between booze and drugs? Think about that.

Benzito

Reaction score
Three relevant (and real) cases:

1. Peer of mine in law school was formerly imprisoned for either being a drug dealer or merely a money launderer for a drug dealer. Served two years or so and paid a huge fine, got a CPA license, cleaned up his **** and passed the bar. They denied him twice, but he ultimately got his ticket after several employers and other professionals vouched for him turning his life around.

2. There is a current attorney in my jurisdiction who was caught jerking it in a mall parking lot while (allegedly) following around young women. Got a public reprimand (in the bar journal, no less), but still in practice.

3. NYT reported a fella who passed the recent bar, but was denied admission b/c he owed too much in student loans. WTF??? How is he supposed to pay back the money without a lawyer job?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
Three relevant (and real) cases:
3. NYT reported a fella who passed the recent bar, but was denied admission b/c he owed too much in student loans. WTF??? How is he supposed to pay back the money without a lawyer job?

I think the story was a little more complicated than that. He had something like $450,000 in student loan debt dating from the mid 1980s and made no effort whatsoever to pay it back at any point. Not saying it's right for them to deny him admission for that, but it's more than just some average kid with some student loan debt.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
jpeirpont;2512238 said:
Originally Posted by theincumbent
Depends on the State, and is usually not a matter of having the conviction "cleared."

The admission to the Bar of a state is governed by that particular Board of Bar Examiners with each
state having certain requirements for Character and Fitness. The easy answer to your question is "maybe," depending upon the severity of the conviction.

A common conviction in law school that did not prevent bar admission (in most cases) was DUI.

Thinking of taking the jump; going to law school?[/QUOTE]

No, just curious. I was reading a discussion where someone said some couldn;t become a lawyer if they were ever convicted of a felony and I wonder "why not" if they record was cleared.

In some jurisdictions, a conviction for a felony deemed a crime of moral turpitude can be grounds for summary disbarment. I would imagine that if the felony were expunged (which is often very difficult to accomplish) it probably would eliminate the conviction as a basis for automatic disbarment. However . . .
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Wasn't there a white supremist, with a clean criminal record, banned from taking the bar in Ohio a few years ago?

In most jurisdictions I know of, one can be disbarred for conduct demonstrating unfitness regardless of whether there is a corresponding criminal conviction. (I assume that was what happened in the case Pio mentions.) Thus, I would imagine that even if the conviction were expunged, the underlying conduct, if proven by whatever standard of evidence is generally applied in disbarment proceedings under the law of the relevant state, could still serve as grounds for disbarment regardless of the expungement.
In other words, I think that in many jurisdictions getting a conviction expunged would improve one's chances of being able to practice, but certainly would not guarantee it.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Wasn't there a white supremist, with a clean criminal record, banned from taking the bar in Ohio a few years ago?

yeah

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This Stanford Law grad might have a bit of trouble getting admitted, but probably not the least because she used to be a coat hangers.

thumb160x_brazil.jpg

[I wonder why she turned down BigLaw?!?
confused.gif
]

chenc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theincumbent
Depends on the State, and is usually not a matter of having the conviction "cleared."

The admission to the Bar of a state is governed by that particular Board of Bar Examiners with each
state having certain requirements for Character and Fitness. The easy answer to your question is "maybe," depending upon the severity of the conviction.

A common conviction in law school that did not prevent bar admission (in most cases) was DUI.

Thinking of taking the jump; going to law school?

Isn't DUI a misdemeanor?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This Stanford Law grad might have a bit of trouble getting admitted, but probably not the least because she used to be a coat hangers.

thumb160x_brazil.jpg

[I wonder why she turned down BigLaw?!?
confused.gif
]

She was able to make more money as a BigWhore
laugh.gif

lpresq

Reaction score

Dark, you are an attorney?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads