• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple f***ing sucks

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
i've been using both mac and "windows based PCs" and even a linux computer at work. i'd like to compare it to knowing how to drive a manual transmission, a triptronic transmission, and a fully automatic car... its just better if you know how to operate it all.

Good analogy. These days, they are all good computers and getting better and better.

The main criticism of Mac users is that they are paying $1,000 more than a PC (f*ck the quotations, PC users are using it the same way anyway
laugh.gif
). In other words, they are suckers of the Apple marketing campaign by paying up $1,000 more to be cool . While Apple never provides the "best value" in any category, they are similarly priced when you compare them to a PC with similar specs these days. It`s not like you are getting a much better deal with other popular brands like Vaio, Lenovo, Dell, etc., and it`s not like you are always paying the most by choosing Apple.

The big difference it that you "can" get a better deal with the other brands, because there are more specs to choose from. If you lower your specs, you can get a PC for much cheaper than an Apple, because Apple only has several choices when it comes to specs.

These days, it comes down to preference and one is not really better than the other. It just depends on what you want...in my opinion.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to assemble a custom build unit that smokes nearly any mac desktop for less money. Their laptops are a bit more competitive, but not by much. Still about $400 or so more than a custom notebook with similar specs. But the form factor is not the same, for those of you who want to pay the $400+ premium for a few less oz or a few less cm in height. So Laptops aside, here's a look at the top of the line desktops. A top of the line eight core Mac Pro: 2x 2.93Ghz Intel quad core xeons 6 GB of 1066 DDR3 4x 1TB 7200 RPM drives Radeon HD 4870 512MB 18x Superdrive Mouse Keyboard Airport OSX $7145.00 Comes in one color.
74987483.jpg
Custom built Falcon NW Mach-V: Automotive grade paint (any single color) w/clear coat on all Aluminum chassis Icon case. 1200 Watt Silverstone PS Asus P6T Deluxe Intel i7 Extreme 975 3.33Ghz 12GB 1333 matched and hand selected super low latency RAM 4x 1.5TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD Liquid cooling for Processors, RAM, and HDD 2x SLI GeForce GTX 295 1.8GB RAM LG Blu-Ray RW/DVD RW/CDRW Logitech G-19 keyboard Logitech MX Revolution mouse Vista Home Premium sp2 w/Win 7 upgrade $6899.40 for a system that absolutely embarrasses the tip top of the line Mac Pro, is fully upgradable at any point in time (though it will likely be the fastest computer in your neighborhood for at least 2 years as it is) And you get to pick the color! If you really like the brushed Aluminum look, subtract about $400 from the price of the computer I quoted above. Color pictured is 1995 Acura Sage Brush Pearl, but they will do ANY single color, matched from a swatch, image, or catalog.
iconacurasagehi.jpg

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
It's pretty easy to assemble a custom build unit that smokes nearly any mac desktop for less money. Their laptops are a bit more competitive, but not by much. Still about $400 or so more than a custom notebook with similar specs. But the form factor is not the same, for those of you who want to pay the $400+ premium for a few less oz or a few less cm in height. So Laptops aside, here's a look at the top of the line desktops.

My current desktop is Hackint0sh compatible. I was running Leopard on it for a couple months until I decided I really didn't like OS X very much and way preferred Windows Vista due to the myriad of programs and customizablity. At the time, the nearest config in an Apple desktop (couldn't get it exact) was approximately 3x the price.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
My current desktop is Hackint0sh compatible. I was running Leopard on it for a couple months until I decided I really didn't like OS X very much and way preferred Windows Vista due to the myriad of programs and customizablity. At the time, the nearest config in an Apple desktop (couldn't get it exact) was approximately 3x the price.

It happens a lot.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie

WAT

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
(f*ck the quotations, PC users are using it the same way anyway
laugh.gif
)

You've never answered the question. Do you mean Windows users? OSX users that didn't buy a Mac? Linux users, Symbian users? Android users? You are generalizing. You might as well say "black people" or something.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
WAT

Have you used it or are you simply one of those that likes to regurgitate other peoples' opinions that it sucks?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to assemble a custom build unit that smokes nearly any mac desktop for less money. Their laptops are a bit more competitive, but not by much. Still about $400 or so more than a custom notebook with similar specs. But the form factor is not the same, for those of you who want to pay the $400+ premium for a few less oz or a few less cm in height. So Laptops aside, here's a look at the top of the line desktops.

A top of the line eight core Mac Pro:
2x 2.93Ghz Intel quad core xeons
6 GB of 1066 DDR3
4x 1TB 7200 RPM drives
Radeon HD 4870 512MB
18x Superdrive
Mouse
Keyboard
Airport
OSX

$7145.00

Comes in one color.
74987483.jpg

Custom built Falcon NW Mach-V:

Automotive grade paint (any single color) w/clear coat on all Aluminum chassis Icon case.
1200 Watt Silverstone PS
Asus P6T Deluxe
Intel i7 Extreme 975 3.33Ghz
12GB 1333 matched and hand selected super low latency RAM
4x 1.5TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD
Liquid cooling for Processors, RAM, and HDD
2x SLI GeForce GTX 295 1.8GB RAM
LG Blu-Ray RW/DVD RW/CDRW
Logitech G-19 keyboard
Logitech MX Revolution mouse
Vista Home Premium sp2 w/Win 7 upgrade

$6899.40 for a system that absolutely embarrasses the tip top of the line Mac Pro, is fully upgradable at any point in time (though it will likely be the fastest computer in your neighborhood for at least 2 years as it is) And you get to pick the color! If you really like the brushed Aluminum look, subtract about $400 from the price of the computer I quoted above.

Color pictured is 1995 Acura Sage Brush Pearl, but they will do ANY single color, matched from a swatch, image, or catalog.

iconacurasagehi.jpg

Yeah, but the lower one has a bird on the side...
snork[1].gif

gaygay.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Yeah, but the lower one has a bird on the side...
Falcons are cooler than gay pride fruit.
1322.jpg
To be fair, there is also a falcon on the front.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've never answered the question. Do you mean Windows users? OSX users that didn't buy a Mac? Linux users, Symbian users? Android users?

You are generalizing. You might as well say "black people" or something.

There is no question to answer. As demonstrated in this thread and all over the world, the term PC is commonly used in a very general way today (by ALL computer users). It is not used in the way you describe, even if "technically" generalizing is incorrect. If it makes you feel smarter, go ahead and use the term your way...although I admit I was laughing at you when you used the term incorrectly yourself
lol8[1].gif
Calling someone ignorant for doing something, and then doing the same yourself shortly after
crackup[1].gif
It doesn`t get any more ignorant than that.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A top of the line eight core Mac Pro:
2x 2.93Ghz Intel quad core xeons
6 GB of 1066 DDR3
4x 1TB 7200 RPM drives
Radeon HD 4870 512MB
18x Superdrive
Mouse
Keyboard
Airport
OSX

$7145.00

Comes in one color.
74987483.jpg

Custom built Falcon NW Mach-V:

Automotive grade paint (any single color) w/clear coat on all Aluminum chassis Icon case.
1200 Watt Silverstone PS
Asus P6T Deluxe
Intel i7 Extreme 975 3.33Ghz
12GB 1333 matched and hand selected super low latency RAM
4x 1.5TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD
Liquid cooling for Processors, RAM, and HDD
2x SLI GeForce GTX 295 1.8GB RAM
LG Blu-Ray RW/DVD RW/CDRW
Logitech G-19 keyboard
Logitech MX Revolution mouse
Vista Home Premium sp2 w/Win 7 upgrade

$6899.40 for a system that absolutely embarrasses the tip top of the line Mac Pro, is fully upgradable at any point in time (though it will likely be the fastest computer in your neighborhood for at least 2 years as it is) And you get to pick the color! If you really like the brushed Aluminum look, subtract about $400 from the price of the computer I quoted above.

Color pictured is 1995 Acura Sage Brush Pearl, but they will do ANY single color, matched from a swatch, image, or catalog.

iconacurasagehi.jpg

In order to stress the point that Apples are waaay more expensive than any else we are comparing $7K computers? Talk about a waste of money...average users don`t want to deal with building their own computers anyway. If we are calling Apple users "stupid sheep" for spending $1,000 more to be cool, we should be comparing other popular brands like Vaio, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There is no question to answer. As demonstrated in this thread and all over the world, the term PC is commonly used in a very general way today (by ALL computer users) to describe personal computers
FTFY I never said anything different. By the way, PC is an extremely general term. YOU are the one trying to make it mean something extremely specific.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In order to stress the point that Apples are waaay more expensive than any else we are comparing $7K computers? .
Go ahead and continue. You are only make yourself look foolish. You are seemingly incapable of seeing any sort of logic or reasoning at this stage, and are only interested in "defending" whatever you think you are defending. I very clearly demonstrated using Apple's own price scale what kind of value you can expect from them. When they release "new" products they are (sometimes) at the head of the curve, unfortunately for them, they are HORRIBLE at staying there. They quickly fall behind, because they don't support new hardware as fast as everyone else does. They arent adaptive with the pricing market, and they are extremely slow to update their computers. You want to go low end? We can do that too. Apple Mac Mini base model: 2.0Ghz Core2 Duo 1GB 1066 DDR3 RAM 120GB 5400 RPM HDD 8x super drive $599
mac_mini.jpg
Acer Aspire X1700 2.4Ghz Pentium E2200 dual core 4GB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM 640GB 7200 RPM HDD 8x Dual Layer DVDRW $419 at Best Buy.
acer_aspire_x1700_2.jpg
Will be even less if you don't insist on a small form factor case. Or if you want to go even smaller, Lenovo has pretty much the same exact thing crammed into a smaller package for $440
average users don`t want to deal with building their own computers anyway.
Nobody said anything about building your own computer. You want to do it that way, I can probably beat even the Mac Mini by $250 with my eyes shut. And you speak for the average user now? I didn't know you were an elected representative... You know what statistically the "average user" uses his computer for? Email and web-surfing. THAT'S IT. Why on earth would you need a Mac to do that when a $199 Ubuntu box from Wal-Mart is going to do that just as well if not better than the $600 Mac Mini.

Mr. Macaque

Reaction score
there is something to be said about mac hardware, at least for the notebooks. the unibody mac is SOLID. i feel that i can drop it about five feet onto floor and it will hold up. that and the very nice mac os makes the notebook worth the extra money.

and this is coming from someone who doesn't even like apple's mac v. pc marketing, which makes apple users seem like antagonistic douches. if it's a good product, then people will buy it. even if they pay more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads